What's new

Is there a perfect way to start a new piece?

I asked my composition teacher something like "how do you start a new piece?".
(the notion of "perfect way" is really personal to you)

To be honest, it really depends on your background.
My "blockage" and why this question came up for me was the sheer amount of possibilities that I couldn't wrap my head around.
Plus the fact that I am software engineer and love to organize things didn't help my hangups.
I always thought I had to understand and start with "form" first.

My teacher's answer was: "start with a melody you like and let the music carry you"
That was it for me to let it go. Extremely freeing.

There is going to be good stuff and bad stuff but I just enjoy that process (and yes, my income doesn't depend on music production)

Great question, nice to see the various opinions, thanks!

I asked my composition teacher something like "how do you start a new piece?".
(the notion of "perfect way" is really personal to you)

To be honest, it really depends on your background.
My "blockage" and why this question came up for me was the sheer amount of possibilities that I couldn't wrap my head around.
Plus the fact that I am software engineer and love to organize things didn't help my hangups.
I always thought I had to understand and start with "form" first.

My teacher's answer was: "start with a melody you like and let the music carry you"
That was it for me to let it go. Extremely freeing.

There is going to be good stuff and bad stuff but I just enjoy that process (and yes, my income doesn't depend on music production)

Great question, nice to see the various opinions, thanks!

As a quick aside, could you expound on this 'composition teacher' you have? I recently starting taking piano lessons, but composition lessons (in person) would be even more ideal.

As a quick aside, could you expound on this 'composition teacher' you have? I recently starting taking piano lessons, but composition lessons (in person) would be even more ideal.
Not sure if you want a name or more of a process that's going on.
I'll talk about the latter. PM me if you want contact information.

Being a performer for 30+ years has been fine but I wanted to actually better understand what was going on in the music I was playing.
So this guy, a retired professional composer who made his money in TV, is taking on student one by one and is going through:
1- https://www.amazon.com/Harmony-Fifth-Walter-Piston/dp/0393954803/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1544640742&sr=1-1&keywords=piston+harmony (Piston's Harmony)
2- https://www.amazon.com/Counterpoint-4th-Kent-Kennan/dp/013080746X (Kennan&#039;s Counterpoint) + workbook <== finishing this
3- Something about "20th century music and serial music" <== not there yet

Honestly, this entire process has really been freeing, as I become more confident in music understanding (why things happen where they happen)
He also pushed to use ear training software like Earmaster... that also has been freeing as I became more confident in my abilities.

Weekly lessons with homework in between.
It's been almost 2 years now.

I think this is what most music majors are about... but that was not my major, just a hobby for me.

Last edited:
Not sure if you want a name or more of a process that's going on.
I'll talk about the latter. PM me if you want contact information.

Being a performer for 30+ years has been fine but I wanted to actually better understand what was going on in the music I was playing.
So this guy, a retired professional composer who made his money in TV, is taking on student one by one and is going through:
1- https://www.amazon.com/Harmony-Fifth-Walter-Piston/dp/0393954803/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1544640742&sr=1-1&keywords=piston+harmony (Piston&#039;s Harmony)
2- https://www.amazon.com/Counterpoint-4th-Kent-Kennan/dp/013080746X (Kennan&#039;s Counterpoint) + workbook <== finishing this
3- Something about "20th century music and serial music" <== not there yet

Honestly, this entire process has really been freeing, as I become more confident in music understanding (why things happen where they happen)
He also pushed to use ear training software like Earmaster... that also has been freeing as I became more confident in my abilities.

Weekly lessons with homework in between.
It's been almost 2 years now.

I think this is what most music majors are about... but that was not my major, just a hobby for me.

exactly this is what I was curious about it. Sounds great.

If you know of any composers in your area, contact them; they may be accepting students. Or if you have a college or university in your area, see if there is a composer who offers private lessons. If they have a graduate program, you might also be able to get lessons from an advanced graduate student. Here I'm thinking of training in the basics of classical composition.

I just finished the fundamentals of music (theory 1) at the local community college. Only problem is the next classes are currently only day classes. They have a good music department, but it is geared towards full time students.

One place to check is Coursera, if you don't have any local schools. They have some very good music courses you can audit for free. Or if you pay, you can get feedback from the instructor. They aren't overly expensive, but I didn't have time to keep up with the last one I did.

My concept and way: sitting at a piano creating a melody with one hand. If that is telling something then this is a good sign, if not I am trying more, that can take a couple of days or even longer after I have "something". Next step I do is to harmonize that melody and write a couple of derivatives with different harmonisations. I am actually in the process doing a new piece and so this is how I start. I play the piece also a lot and improvise while playing. My credo: Small hand movements, often 1 half step motions. Everybody has different techniques, try out what works for you. Not sure if there is a perfect way..hm maybe not, there are couple of techniques and I think you should try out. Also singing things is good, I often sing my things while playing it. Sounds atrocious but it helps me getting ideas.

I am curious about everyone's opinion/process on this.

My current technique is to slam my hands on the keyboard, cry, scream, pace, think I have some direction then abandon it 3 minutes into execution etc. Until I have some stitched together sketch track that I can then massage into something more coherent.

Do any of you work with a sort of routine that is reliable?
Just when I think I have a technique/process that works, Ill replicate it on my subsequent track for it to completely fail me.
I didn't mean to derail the OP. Sorry.

Yes, I shouldn't have added to the off topic. But, I find that doing anything music related gives me ideas. That and the turn signal in my car. It is like a click track. I just start humming along. Sometimes I even have time to grab my phone to record it. :)

Just play. Whenever I sit down and try and come up with something I allow my self to just play as if I was a kid, playing with his toys. I do not expect to come up with something every time I make an attempt. I need to allow my self to fail and accept that I will fail many times before eventually something great happens. I swear, if you are patient and you hang in there long enough, something will happen that you may not expect.

The hardest part is finding peace with failing, which often detours me from actually sitting down and starting in the first place. Once you are sitting there and trying, you are already making the right start imo.

I start on the piano and try to develop the concept/idea. When I have a rough idea, I record it and save for reference. I then play it into Cubase and do an initial quick and simple orchestration around the idea. If it still sounds "good" after a day or two, I'll start working it in detail.

I am curious about everyone's opinion/process on this.

My current technique is to slam my hands on the keyboard, cry, scream, pace, think I have some direction then abandon it 3 minutes into execution etc. Until I have some stitched together sketch track that I can then massage into something more coherent.

Do any of you work with a sort of routine that is reliable?
Just when I think I have a technique/process that works, Ill replicate it on my subsequent track for it to completely fail me.

Hahaha...a very entertaining thread. I especially enjoyed your described crying, shouting, pacing and trying to "massage it into something coherent". As you can see beneath my Picture, I am also now and then in the Situation, that I wished to have some creative Output. But I am in the luxurious Situation, that I am no professional musician...so no Deadlines, no client's wishes or reconstructing stuff over and over.

Here is the way it goes at my site:

- during improvising on the piano keys I discover something interesting, its then like a vague forshadow where the further melodies and harmonies sit. I Isolate it and save it as a cubase sketch. if the theme is strong enough, I have Motivation to develop it furtheron, if not, it gathers dust in the Folder with all the other sketches.
- for me there are generally two ways of composing: 1. constructing, which requires technical skills 2. intuition, the theme Comes to you. mostly compositions are a healthy mix of both sources, but sure the things that come to you are the best.

I should compose something, now.;)

Last edited:
Fire up the daw, check mail, load a starting template, let out a great big fart, step away from the desk for awhile. Come back when it’s safe, look at the show. Curse the video edit. Decide on signature, tempo and hope for the best. A few hours later, print out what nonsense is on timeline, go for a walk, supper. Come back, check what you did, decide it’s not the worst you heard. Lament the lack of progress. Check email again. Answer emails and check FB. Decide to look at VI control. Go back to work, look up and see it’s 3am. decide to go to bed. Come back tomorrow and do the next bit, minus the fart this time. Ate better yesterday. Oh, when was I supposed to start ? There is no start, there is no end, it’s just one big marathon. Some days good, some days productive, some days I can’t think straight. Most days something gets accomplished, even if it’s a good cup of coffee. Like today, good coffee.

Something I noticed, which might be just be a fluke, is that I forced myself to not make any musical compositions for a couple of months ...

That is interesting, indeed, and matches my experience.

I have to take breaks with nearly everything I write. I definitely experience something akin to "compositional fatigue" that essentially encourages me to take breaks, even if it just means working on another project. I've always attributed that to lack of skills :)

FWIW, I did a Farkle Friday on the topic of "Generating an Idea", where I talk about how I put myself in the chair every morning, and start a piece from scratch. Maybe it will help?

Top Bottom