What's new

Native Instruments Kontakt - Future developments?

Undoubtedly. However, it is an opinion espoused by someone with a significant vested interest in a non-Kontakt sampler, so it's hard to view as unbiased.
NI could do some damage control and get in touch with us about all our unanswered questions and creating confidence in the future of their products along the way.

I don't necessarily see it being unlikely if NI did something like keep Kontakt Player around for non-subscribers, but make something like a "Kontakt Pro" version that required a subscription. That happens to be the same move Izotope made who are now under the same umbrella.
Sounds horrible. Don't give them any (bad) ideas ;)

In the digital world it's perfectly possible to maintain backwards compatibility.
It's possible to take a helicopter to go to the supermarket, but it isn't economical or practical.

If you want to make sure your projects open in 10 years time use a DAW that saves the project file to a human readable or open format such as XML and render all of your tracks as audio.

i see all kind of new proprietary players pop up everywhere
Proprietary... you mean, like Kontakt?

I don't necessarily see it being unlikely if NI did something like keep Kontakt Player around for non-subscribers, but make something like a "Kontakt Pro" version that required a subscription. That happens to be the same move Izotope made who are now under the same umbrella.
I think that is exactly where we are heading.

Yes, more stuff we don't have control over.. exactly like Kontakt :)
Except that Kontakt is actually a SAMPLER (Ok ok, without an input, fine.) Unlike the PLAYERS/ROMPLERS being released by these companies. I like Kontakt simply for that. And NI does make the whole cut on selling it for that purpose. Subscription or not, I don't think it's going anywhere for the time being. And elsewhere on this forum there was talk about an impending M1 version, as quoted from the NI fora.

itll be around for a while.

Its also about JUCE which is a new way/platform/coding to make plugins. Makes it easier to make samplers and synths/effects plugins than making then in older code. From what i gather its easier to make cross platform plugins for major daws plugin formats.
So if those companies are making their own, then you can see how expensive it is to release a sample library in kontakt player that it makes sense making your own sampler/romplayer. Plus the kontakt security is not famous for being.. well, secure.
And also, kontakt is a mainstream plugin for us, but outside this bubble, kontakt is not well liked or used in other genres. And its Konfusing player vs full versions.

Also how cool is to make your own plugin!
And of course not be inside someone elses ecosystem. NI will be around for a while but just got bought by some hedge fund something mega corp who might end up making the next M-audio. Or might make it the next apple. .. who knows.

Last edited:
Nothing in this world lasts forever, yet alone digital products. They all have a lifecycle, a lifespan, and will eventually be replaced by something new.
Can't argue with that, and I'm open to moving with the times..but..there's no way I would accept loosing thousands of dollars spent on libraries, Komplete versions (I'm currently on K13 U CE), and years worth of work on projects that I couldn't open because Kontakt didn't work any more..If I had to get a cracked version I would do so without an ounce of remorse..In any case, I've just realized that I'm getting worked up over rumors and innuendos..Frankly, this discussion is detrimental to all the companies releasing Kontakt libraries on an almost daily basis..

While a lot of developers are bringing their own samplers into production, you really do have to consider the source on that quote.
it is an opinion espoused by someone with a significant vested interest in a non-Kontakt sampler, so it's hard to view as unbiased.
It's a quote from the same guy who said:
"Spaces 2 crushes Altiverb for orchestral film work. It’s Mclaren versus Hyundai. Altiverb is amazing and broad ranging reverb software that sounds like mush."

The only way Kontakt dies is if some other platform comes through that offers most everything that Kontakt does plus at least some of the following: 1.) More difficult to crack libraries, 2.) Lower fees for distribution to users who haven't paid, 3.) Nicer UI with easier development.

An open source sampler could do it. But the VI community is quite tepid on open source relative to many others. These days it often takes a commercial (or serious non-profit) entity to lead an endeavor for the most polished product (see, e.g. Musescore). No sample company has that much of an incentive these days to do it - building a bespoke sampler without opening it up for outside development is much easier...

That said, Kontakt development could stagnate pretty badly if NI doesn't prioritize it. I have to imagine the codebase by this point is a bit of a beast.

Hello all, I'm Faheem, Product Manager for the NKS Ecosystem at Native, and I'd like to jump in here to clear the air around these rumours that have sprung up about us not supporting KONTAKT anymore. While my statement here may not be an "official" press release statement from NI's end, you can be rest assured that these rumours and FUD are not based on fact. As @Mike Greene very well mentioned in a previous reply here, KONTAKT is a very important component of our business model, both for our own business as well as for all of the 3rd Party businesses that are part of our NKS & KONTAKT Player Ecosystem.

We are continuously developing the KONTAKT Platform and evolving it to suit the needs of modern music makers. Rest assured, there are no plans underway to "kill" KONTAKT in any way. We are very much committed to ensuring it's survival for the sake of our Partners, our dedicated and loyal customers, and of course, for our own sake as well ;)

As for why other manufacturers have decided to create their own players, well all I can say is : It's a FREE Market. Anyone can do as they please. We do not prohibit anyone, especially not our partners, from going ahead and building what they see to be fit for their business. All businesses are in a state of evolution, and we as Native, are definitely not capable of catering to each and every need of every business out there. We try our best to cover as much ground as we can, but in the areas where we cannot offer services at the moment, companies innovate and create their own solutions. We do not see this as a threat, but rather as a benefit to the community as whole. If there's one thing musicians and producers have always loved, it's Choice! :)

I hope this helps to restore some confidence in the community :)

NI could do some damage control and get in touch with us about all our unanswered questions and creating confidence in the future of their products along the way.
Happy to do so ! (As far as possible, there are some private internal topics that we are unable to shed light on due to confidentiality reasons)

Top Bottom