What's new

Is Macbook pro i5 capable for sample?

lr11here

Do you know if an entry macbook pro i5 8gb is capable for working with samples like Albion one, chamber strings or cinematic studio strings? Some developers make it more clear, others not, but also wanted to first validated with someone that is more familiar with it.

Thanks a lot.

my mac mini i5 2.6ghz (i try still get better some day) with 8gigabytes of ram work at least these goodly:
Vienna Special edition vol 1 extended,galaxy II pianos,project sam true strike 1,and
even Composer Cloud X. and when i set buffers to 1024 in Logic. i think if you do very complex and heavy projects and memory is not problem. you are fine. i dont even have ssd for sample. i somehow i think at least albion one very likely work finely.

Yes get 16 gb; even my 12 (though rather old) are quickly full. i5 should work for moderate sized projects perfectly. Even bigger projects are possible, but depending on the libraries you'll still have a limit. Don't know right of the bat what kind of space options (fusion or not etc.) Apple offers for the Macbook Pro, but thats also a big part what you end up using for your samples. Have a 2tb HD right now, where everything sits on, but especially CSS hits 100% really fast (will upgrade soon though) even though your CPU doesn't have to work that much for it...

FWIW I'm running Omnisphere, 8DIO Claire Woodwinds off of a 2008 MB Pro set up as a VE Pro slave and it works flawlessly.

I still use a 2011 MBP, with 16 GB RAM and a SSD added aftermarket. It's fine for what I do -- up to 50 or so individual Kontakt instrument tracks, albeit rarely more than half a dozen firing at the same time.

my mac mini i5 2.6ghz (i try still get better some day) with 8gigabytes of ram work at least these goodly:
Vienna Special edition vol 1 extended,galaxy II pianos,project sam true strike 1,and
even Composer Cloud X.

You use Composer Cloud X, but there's no way you're running a bunch of the Hollywood Orchestra libraries.

Personally, I avoid the i5 and go with the i7....along with 16GB Ram and an external SSD(s) to host your libraries.

Personally, I avoid the i5 and go with the i7....along with 16GB Ram and an external SSD(s) to host your libraries.
Yes, just looked it up though and the 13'' model comes with an i5 standard, upgrading that to i7 and 16 Gb ram one can also put out another 550€ (+display I know) and just buy a Mac Pro; would for me personally (no tech expert) make kind of more sense, because I don't need that working power on the go or in classes (actually don't need a laptop at all there:)). But that's just my humble opinion here:rolleyes:.
But I agree with you that (depending on what OP wants to do with it of course) an i7 would be the better choice..

Do you know if an entry macbook pro i5 8gb is capable for working with samples like Albion one, chamber strings or cinematic studio strings?

I can't even open a CSS patch with my macbook pro (i5 + 8GB), it crashes as soon as I load a patch. Don't know why, but i don't use it on this computer anyway. Works fine with CSSS though. I agree you should get one with 16GB Ram, and perhaps an i7 if you can afford it.

I contacted their support back when i had the same question for CSS. Here's what they told me :

"It's hard to be sure. We have had folks who have dual core Macbooks with the new i7 processors who've managed okay with high end sample libraries... we list quad core because you really need that to get the maximum benefit from the library's potential. However, I've checked with Alex and his feeling is that it will probably be fine if you use it lightly as described."

Don't know about Albion One and SCS, but i think it must be the same. You'll have to use them very lightly too, disabling mics/articulations you don't use and then it might be ok.

Berlin Orchestra Inspire is a fantastic library to go with a 16gb MacBook Pro.....

In fact, I think that this machine was behind the general idea for BOI. Made for each other.

You use Composer Cloud X, but there's no way you're running a bunch of the Hollywood Orchestra libraries.

No bunch but i found i can use few patches same time and i feel when patches are good i dont need my own style many of then. i must check how much one kind computer is now....

I can't even open a CSS patch with my macbook pro (i5 + 8GB), it crashes as soon as I load a patch. Don't know why, but i don't use it on this computer anyway. Works fine with CSSS though. I agree you should get one with 16GB Ram, and perhaps an i7 if you can afford it.

I contacted their support back when i had the same question for CSS. Here's what they told me :

"It's hard to be sure. We have had folks who have dual core Macbooks with the new i7 processors who've managed okay with high end sample libraries... we list quad core because you really need that to get the maximum benefit from the library's potential. However, I've checked with Alex and his feeling is that it will probably be fine if you use it lightly as described."

Don't know about Albion One and SCS, but i think it must be the same. You'll have to use them very lightly too, disabling mics/articulations you don't use and then it might be ok.
Have you tried batch re-save on your MacBook? Before that I also got the circle turning and when I right clicked Cubase/Kontakt it Said that it crashed...though it actually hasn‘t but it took a few minutes before it actually started loading. After re-saving it‘s only a few seconds now.

I have a PC with 16 gb of ram. I was thinking still getting the macbook pro i5 8gb (as the i7 16gb is way too expensive for me) and I could use my PC as slave, right? And use Vienna Ensemble Pro. The only problem is that I'm not sure if I should install my Cubase on the mac which would be my master or should I install in the slave (the PC).

I have a PC with 16 gb of ram. I was thinking still getting the macbook pro i5 8gb (as the i7 16gb is way too expensive for me) and I could use my PC as slave, right? And use Vienna Ensemble Pro. The only problem is that I'm not sure if I should install my Cubase on the mac which would be my master or should I install in the slave (the PC).
No VEP expert but you should:
1. make sure that the new MacBook pros still have Ethernet possibilities (I think that’s what the cable is called needed for VEP)
2. your Daw always on your master as the slave is only there for sample playback and running VEP

It’s worth pointing out that you can install Cubase on both and can simply move the single between the computers as your mood dictates.

No VEP expert but you should:
1. make sure that the new MacBook pros still have Ethernet possibilities (I think that’s what the cable is called needed for VEP)
2. your Daw always on your master as the slave is only there for sample playback and running VEP

New MacBooks don't have Ethernet ports, but all you need is a Thunderbolt/Ethernet adaptor (works like a charm).

@lr11here keep in mind that High Sierra is going to gobble up at least 2GB Ram, leaving you with 6GB. It won't be long before your Mac is needing more, and you can't upgrade it later. You're better off waiting until you can afford the i7 with 16GB. Alternatively, you could try and get a refurbished i7 MB Pro.....even a 2013would be better than the i5; it will be worth the extra horsepower and Ram.

New MacBooks don't have Ethernet ports, but all you need is a Thunderbolt/Ethernet adaptor (works like a charm).
Thx:), bought my MacBooks Air in 2015 and haven't really looked into what the newer Macbooks have port wise (the prices were enough for me to just shut down my browser:grin:)
Else: What has apple become...:faint:;); personally no fan of adapters (but at least it works then), and buying a 2000+€ (PRO) product wich then doesn't even has such port and you have to pay additional money, well lets just say it's suboptimal for customers...(certainly a topic for other threads though)

Have you tried batch re-save on your MacBook? Before that I also got the circle turning and when I right clicked Cubase/Kontakt it Said that it crashed...though it actually hasn‘t but it took a few minutes before it actually started loading. After re-saving it‘s only a few seconds now.

Great, I've just tried that and now it works fine, thanks !

Top Bottom