What's new

Is it common for composers to add violins next ti celli?

EFlexMusic

I have been listening to some soundtracks and trying to hear the seating arrangement. In some tracks I hear that the seating arrangement sometimes has violins next to the celli on the right side of the conductor. Is this something that is common practice? Or are my ears deceiving me?

Because I understand it's usually V1, V2, Vla, Cel, then Basses behind celii

Instead I seem to hear V1, V2, Vla, Cel, Violins, and basses behind celli

Here is an example of what I'm talking a about at 1:01 when the strings start playing

The second violins used to be seated opposite the first violins before Leopold Stokowski came along with the Stokowski Shift in 1920s. Some people refer to the traditional seating as Vienna seating and the new seating as American seating.

My guess is that if a Hollywood movie uses Vienna seating, it may be in pursuit of an antiphonal effect.

Because I understand it's usually V1, V2, Vla, Cel, then Basses behind celii

Instead I seem to hear V1, V2, Vla, Cel, Violins, and basses behind celli
Those are the same? Or what do you mean with 'Violins'.
Anyway you are right that V1 V2 Va Vc is common and that V1 Va Vc V2 is another type. Just did a concert with V1 V2 Vc Va with Cb behind V1.
Vienna does V1 Va Vc V2 (if I'm not mistaken) with basses centered behind the entire orchestra.

Those are the same? Or what do you mean with 'Violins'.
Anyway you are right that V1 V2 Va Vc is common and that V1 Va Vc V2 is another type. Just did a concert with V1 V2 Vc Va with Cb behind V1.
Vienna does V1 Va Vc V2 (if I'm not mistaken) with basses centered behind the entire orchestra.
Ah thanks, I was assuming it was just extra violins to the right that's why I wrote that lol

Top Bottom