What's new

IPad Spec Recommendations for StaffPad in 2024?

MisteR

With the release of the new iPads, just wondering what people feel is the current sweet spot for an iPad mostly for StaffPad and perhaps for viewing sheet music. I currently run a 2020 iPad Pro with 1TB and have never used more than 155GB, so I'm thinking 256GB is probably enough. I can't really take editing video or doing DAW work on an iPad seriously yet. But I'm wondering if anyone thinks the 8GB RAM will be limiting, StaffPad-feature-and-future-wise.

With the release of the new iPads, just wondering what people feel is the current sweet spot for an iPad mostly for StaffPad and perhaps for viewing sheet music. I currently run a 2020 iPad Pro with 1TB and have never used more than 155GB, so I'm thinking 256GB is probably enough. I can't really take editing video or doing DAW work on an iPad seriously yet. But I'm wondering if anyone thinks the 8GB RAM will be limiting, StaffPad-feature-and-future-wise.
I have the same 2020 iPad Pro except with 256GB, and it seems to be holding up really well. I don’t see any reason to upgrade just yet, as I haven’t hit any limitations with my current model. At this point, I would wait to see if DWH takes advantage of any of the new features. StaffPad has always had a backwards compatibility mentality, so I can’t imagine that a new update will require or benefit from the latest iPad Pro.

What is a shame for StaffPad is that they don't support 3rd party pencils. Old 1st gen pencil, that is the only supported option for iPad 9, really isn't better than modern 3rd party ones, that don't have problems with older iPads.

It was time to get a new iPad (my last one was the original iPad Pro 9.7 from 2015!), so picked up the iPad Air 13 inch yesterday to be able to run Staffpad. It's awesome - the M2 makes this thing fly, the screen is great even if not the OLED of the Pro, and being able to attach and charge the Apple Pencil Pro magnetically is such a convenience.

Staffpad note input is a little challenging at first, but I'll keep practicing. One thing I was bummed about was prospect of rebuying libraries I already own to get good sounds in the app, but turns out the free Muse Sounds are terrific. They do take up a lot of space, so I think the 256gb ipad is a must.

Do folks know if there is anywhere to download example .stf files from other users?

It was time to get a new iPad (my last one was the original iPad Pro 9.7 from 2015!), so picked up the iPad Air 13 inch yesterday to be able to run Staffpad. It's awesome - the M2 makes this thing fly, the screen is great even if not the OLED of the Pro, and being able to attach and charge the Apple Pencil Pro magnetically is such a convenience.

Staffpad note input is a little challenging at first, but I'll keep practicing. One thing I was bummed about was prospect of rebuying libraries I already own to get good sounds in the app, but turns out the free Muse Sounds are terrific. They do take up a lot of space, so I think the 256gb ipad is a must.

Do folks know if there is anywhere to download example .stf files from other users?
I don’t know of any organized file sharing. Mostly, people use it to write original music, and that’s not the sort of thing one usually shares.

How much space do the Muse Sound libraries take up? I have all of Cinesamples and Berlin and it only amounts to 22gb with the old base library (I still haven’t updated StaffPad).

I currently run a 2020 iPad Pro with 1TB and have never used more than 155GB, so I'm thinking 256GB is probably enough.
If you do want extra RAM, then you need to go for the larger storage models. But 8Gb should be enough for anything on an iPad.

StaffPad's website says it will work on the 6th gen iPad ('standard'), which has 2Gb RAM, A10 Fusion CPU with 4 cores.

Your iPad is an A12 Z Bionic, with 8 cores, and 6 Gb of RAM, so considerably better. You'd probably find a new one snappier still.

Top Bottom