What's new

INTRODUCING Albion NEO. The next chapter in our bestselling Albion series.

...I think that brings up another good point. This was never meant to be a comprehensive new option for a sax wind ensemble. It's a toolset geared towards a specific style and aesthetic. If any of you were waiting for a good orchestra sax library, this just ain't it.
I didn't think this was it, but I'm not so secretly hoping they do a sax lib. Unfortunately for that, Christian said in one of the walk throughs that he typically doesn't like saxes, so this will likely never happen.

I really like the sound that's there. I strongly feel like it was intended. I've already found creative uses for it.
I was hoping there was an uproar about this that would "force" them to re-record. Folks finding character in it and not being bothered by it kills that.

I didn't think this was it, but I'm not so secretly hoping they do a sax lib. Unfortunately for that, Christian said in one of the walk throughs that he typically doesn't like saxes, so this will likely never happen.

I was hoping there was an uproar about this that would "force" them to re-record. Folks finding character in it and not being bothered by it kills that.

I have to wonder if it hadn't first been described here in very scatalogical terms, would the response be the same?

Last edited:
I have to wonder if it hadn't first been described here in very scatalogical terms, would the response be the same?
I'd hope that wouldn't affects folks' feelings on it, but who knows?

I'm learning that there are few if any perfectly recorded VIs, but this is the worse I've come across so far. I appreciate folks seeing the "good" in it, but it's disappointing. And I'm shocked after seeing responses to what I felt were lesser issues in other libs.

I'd hope that wouldn't affects folks' feelings on it, but who knows?

I'm learning that there are few if any perfectly recorded VIs, but this is the worse I've come across so far. I appreciate folks seeing the "good" in it, but it's disappointing. And I'm shocked after seeing responses to what I felt were lesser issues in other libs.
Yeah, hard to say.

But hope you get your symphonic saxophones one way or another.

Did a bit of extra unscripted live stream exploration on the library for others looking for a messier dive. NEO stuff starts at 9:15

This also preludes a full structured NEO review I'll be putting together soon :geek:

Just to echo the above - your improvisations themselves really provide insight into the possibilities of the library. Some really superb stuff in this.

Maybe to some extent, but it isn't carried across the entire sample set with the same prominence.
Yeah this is an interesting thought for sure. Consistency is great, and I hate to add to the force that wouldn't call to see this stuff done better, but for how I'm definitely going to be using this library (special textures to add where it's needed), I'm generally going to lean into the unique character in each thing on a piece-by-piece basis. I can definitely see it being a potential pain for anyone who wants to use it as a total suite, as something meant to be used as a whole with consistency, though other than the consistency of the bacon, it's not haphazard.

Did a bit of extra unscripted live stream exploration on the library for others looking for a messier dive. NEO stuff starts at 9:15

This also preludes a full structured NEO review I'll be putting together soon :geek:

Very cool playthrough, love your playing and comments!
And I love Replika XT too, are you using it as a regular FX send in your template? If so, would love to know with what settings you're using it as a regular, my personal favorite is the Soft Cloud preset.

Very cool playthrough, love your playing and comments!
And I love Replika XT too, are you using it as a regular FX send in your template? If so, would love to know with what settings you're using it as a regular, my personal favorite is the Soft Cloud preset.
Yeah, just a send. I love the hell out of RXT's diffusion mode as a more-interesting Blackhole substitute, but I couldn't say how I like to tweak it best as I'm always tweaking it custom every time I load it up. I do really enjoy turning on its LP filter with a slow LFO so the character of it evolves over time.

Yeah, just a send. I love the hell out of RXT's diffusion mode as a more-interesting Blackhole substitute, but I couldn't say how I like to tweak it best as I'm always tweaking it custom every time I load it up. I do really enjoy turning on its LP filter with a slow LFO so the character of it evolves over time.

That's exactly how I see it, a kind of Blackhole alternative — but at times I even use both together!

Albion NEO & British Drama Toolkit

01 - Spitfire Audio - Albion NEO - Brunel Loops - Suspended in Space
02 - Spitfire Audio - British Drama Toolkit - Advanced - Cello - Long Harmonics - Long Soft
03 - Spitfire Audio - British Drama Toolkit - Main - Tutti Long Soft

Tectonic Plates

You are one prolific mofo bro! A pleasure to watch you scadoodle across the keys. Above all you really bring spectacular insight into the compositional tools you demonstrate. 🤘🏻

Wish Spitfire comes out with a Pro version of each Albion that includes separated instrument sections ie. Trumpets, Trombones, Flutes, Oboes, Clarinets, Bassoons, Violins I & II, Violas, Celli, Basses, Horns, Cimbassi, Tubas, etc... like OT Metropolis Arks.
You’re describing SSO. And indeed you can use SSO this way with Albion One, and there are even contextual videos of Christian using it this way. The Arks take a different approach to the ensemble library but it’s also a more complicated one and doesn’t lend itself to quick sketching the way Albion does. I have and like both but they are very different tools and I tend to use patches in the Arks as supplements for a particular sound but I’ll use the whole of Albion One for sketching and then replace it or supplement it with instruments from SSO if I want more detail or control.

The other Albions have different relationships to SSO and bring a different capacity to it. But in general the breaking down to individual instrument requires SSO (or SCS). So if you want the “pro” version that’s where you go. (This is complicated somewhat by later Albions especially Tundra and Neo in that they offer patches that are not really able to be replaced by more detailed versions in SSO/SCS.)

Also obviously not everyone works this way and if you don’t then maybe the Albions aren’t for you. Or you have to decide if what an Albion library brings you with orchestral patches, hybrid and other things will be worth the price. For me they do and Tundra and Neo especially so.

Well I just learned that my next project is taking place in fictional Iceland, so I guess that seals the deal, NEO here I come!

Sure there is: SStO (which is around $330 during BF and Xmas sales) is a great choice for non-epic genre, though I strongly recommend upgrading to SStO Professional given how many more instruments and string libraries one gets in Pro (16-12-12-12-4, 8-6-6-6-4 core, 4a-3a-3a-3a-4, 4b-3b-3b-3b-4).
Hmm. This is a good point.

But at the same time, while either SStO or BHTC are great entry points to a certain type of non-epic work, there's another, enormously different non-epic space that libraries like Loegria, NEO, SCS, SSW and solo strings offer entry to, that don't really fit with the studio ethos.

(With, I suppose the caveat that I have, and really love the Studio strings, when drenched in enough reverb. But I don't think that Studio winds could ever replace SSW, its just a difference space entirely)

Top Bottom