What's new

Infinite Series (Aaron Venture) thread

+ve? What does that mean? Also, for your other question, no. All instruments remain in the same position throughout the entire piece. There are some pieces where I steal the first trumpet from the orchestra (Soloist position, mixed mic off to finetune the sound a bit) to use for jazz writing, but I didn't do that here.

Yes, the piccolo is definitely a special case! I generally don't do manual mic tuning with Infinite because of how much I love the sound out of the box. I just use default or a mixed mic position. But given how much I just adore the piccolo as an instrument (I'm a huge John Williams fan, so you can thank him for that), I wanted mine to be just the way I like it. You can definitely replicate horn section depth with mixed mic. That's what I generally do. As for the piccolo, I'm not really sure since the ambience only goes up on mixed mic as the instrument gets further back. Definitely worth an attempt though! Let me know your results.

Sure thing. If you've got any more phrases or passages from any other timecode feel free to let me know and I'll send an image over. Infinite is so flexible that seeing and hearing the way others do things can really open one's mind. @shawnsingh 's legendary IB 1.4 demo and his advice did that for me.

1602756790035.png

I'm really proud of the little trick I did for the falls. Not only did I do quick legato runs downward, but I made sure each trumpet patch played a different number of notes at a different speed to make it sound more authentic.

Then I added a different amount of pitch bend (set to CC #59) to each one as they went down. Without that, it didn't sound as natural and sloppy as real falls should. You would always hear a distinct final pitch no matter how short you made the last note. That's not how real falls have ever sounded to my ear. The pitch is often ambiguous as it progresses and nearly impossible to determine by ear on the last note, and pitch bend solves that. Think of it as a sort of "secret sauce" for falls.

Also, using the Incredibles soundtracks as a reference, I made sure to start the pitch bend before the first note of the falls on each trumpet. That way you can hear the trumpets starting to fall out of pitch on its current note before the fall begins.

Add a touch of pitch bend at the start of the note for a bit of dramatic flair and voila! You get this:

Amazing info thank you! Any chance you can share the screenshot for the pitch-bend data so I can visualise what you've described, please? I think I get what you're saying and will try it msyelf but seeing it would be incredible.

Yeah, great soundtrack is the incredibles!

OK, interesting to know that you keep your horns at different depths through the piece. Soemthing about that notion makes me feel weird, as if I were doing a triad, it might feel like the horns are sitting in very different places. But I actually haven't tried this so I have no idea if it feels sonically weird. Certainly sounds good in your examples!

Amazing info thank you! Any chance you can share the screenshot for the pitch-bend data so I can visualise what you've described, please? I think I get what you're saying and will try it msyelf but seeing it would be incredible.

Yeah, great soundtrack is the incredibles!

OK, interesting to know that you keep your horns at different depths through the piece. Soemthing about that notion makes me feel weird, as if I were doing a triad, it might feel like the horns are sitting in very different places. But I actually haven't tried this so I have no idea if it feels sonically weird. Certainly sounds good in your examples!

The 1st trumpet pitch bend was in the image in the previous message. I have it set to CC# 59. Here are the other two:

I drew a line so you could see what I meant about starting the pitch bend before the first note of the fall.

Make sure each one is slightly different to get that chaotic randomness that you hear in real falls.

The 1st trumpet pitch bend was in the image in the previous message. I have it set to CC# 59. Here are the other two:

I drew a line so you could see what I meant about starting the pitch bend before the first note of the fall.

Make sure each one is slightly different to get that chaotic randomness that you hear in real falls.
Ahhhhh sorry I didn't notice that's what the cc data here was. Excellent! Makes total sense!

Ahhhhh sorry I didn't notice that's what the cc data here was. Excellent! Makes total sense!

One thing I should clarify.. My third trumpet patch is actually two trumpets, so I'm only writing three times instead of four. If you wrote Pitch Bend data and chromatic falls for all 4 trumpets and gave them each dramatically different timings, fall lengths, pitch bend data, and final notes, I think it could sound even better.

Not to mention I don't move CC1 that much at all when the sustained note starts. I'd imagine there's a lot you could do to make these falls sound eerily realistic. A touch of flutter on the attack, subtle growl and vibrato during the sustain, etc. Maybe you can show us in an Incredits 2 mockup someday... ;)

I don't have videos recording capabilities but might do a line or two, and share screen shots of anything you'd want to hear
Thanks. I'm interested in hearing what any fast passages (or double/triple tongues) or runs sound like.

Someone posted the Harry Potter flute solo on the infinite woodwinds 2.0 and it sounded really nice.

I checked out the overviews and other videos too. When I have the money to spare for them, I'll get them.

Anyone got any clip showing the cimbasso? Haven’t heard it yet and would like to know how the low brass sounds.

also could someone explain the bundle crossgrade on the site? I can only afford to get one of the libraries for now so does that mean I would get some kind of a crossgrade to get the bundle at a later time?

also could someone explain the bundle crossgrade on the site? I can only afford to get one of the libraries for now so does that mean I would get some kind of a crossgrade to get the bundle at a later time?
As I understand it, you'd pay for the bundle price minus what you paid for the first library. Essentially, the position is you'll never lose out as a result of the order in which you buy them (except obviously if you miss a temporary sale price on something).

EDIT: FAQ on this gives the exact position, I think this might be a better position than I thought, like, if you happen to get the first product at a sale price, and buy the bundle at non-sale price, you don't pay non sale bundle minus sale first product, you pay non sale bundle minus non sale first product, so your original discount isn't lost in the crossgrade... https://www.aaronventure.com/faq

Sidebar: I’m really interested to hear how the completely dry Infinite instruments sound in a MIR convolution. Anyone able to demo?

All winds Studio. MIR: Synchron wide, wet/dry: - 30%, no further plugins used.

Attachments

• GinasteraAVIW-MIR.mp3
    1.1 MB · Views: 191
@aaronventure and other Kontakt experts: Is there a way to get a normal sustain pedal behaviour with the Infinite instruments (as in sustain pedal = held note)? I don't really need the legato bypass, but the normal behaviour would make things much easier for me, especially when used with Divisimate.

@aaronventure and other Kontakt experts: Is there a way to get a normal sustain pedal behaviour with the Infinite instruments (as in sustain pedal = held note)? I don't really need the legato bypass, but the normal behaviour would make things much easier for me, especially when used with Divisimate.
Legato Bypass isn't tied to CC64 in any way other than the MIDI mapping in the GUI. You can remove it in two clicks.

While there's no built in support for the CC64 = Sustain, I imagine you could write a multiscript for it. Queue midi note-offs until the pedal is released.

All winds Studio. MIR: Synchron wide, wet/dry: - 30%, no further plugins used.
Thanks for this—feeding studio into another well-done convo sounds better than I thought it might! However...

I meant a completely dry instrument, as in "going behind the wrench and bypassing all room convolution". In other words, instead of Studio/Bersa/Mozarteum, placement of the bone-dry signal within MIR itself.

I use this script with pretty much everything and it works fine

What I'd like to hear is how it handles an agile, exposed piccolo line, like the famous one from the Star Wars opening:

All my current woodwinds offerings seem to either be too sluggish to really pull it off, or just have a lackluster tone/lack of expressiveness when doing a line like this. I feel like IW could tackle something like this.

What I'd like to hear is how it handles an agile, exposed piccolo line, like the famous one from the Star Wars opening:

All my current woodwinds offerings seem to either be too sluggish to really pull it off, or just have a lackluster tone/lack of expressiveness when doing a line like this. I feel like IW could tackle something like this.

Attachments

• Blockade Runner Pic.mp3
    303.8 KB · Views: 358
Top Bottom