What's new

"Import Audio File" problem in my Cubase Pro 12

Trevor M.

Today I received a wave file song from someone for mastering. It is 48 sample rated and 32 bit dept. Actually my Cubase is always on 48/32 too. I import the file in my Cubase, but it comes with stretch icon:

45363744514.png

And also the file comes in higher tempo (shorter length), but at the same correct tonality. In fact neither sample rate nor bit depth have been changed, because my Cubase is always on same setting (48/32).

15386786456.png

The most weird part is, this file is the only wave file that has got this problem. No other wave file has such problem in "import file".

The guy who has sent this file to me probably has made some specific type of wave export, I really don't know.

Does anyone have an idea to solve this problem?

I think what they might have done is used tempo detection in Cubase on the original audio track and then they've used tempo detection and then "Set definition from Tempo" and saved it to the audio file.

Can you double click the audio to open in the sample editor and then click on the note icon to take it out of musical mode?
Oh! Man, you saved me from depression!

I did it by note icon on sample editor and now it is completely normal.:emoji_sweat_smile:

Tell me more about this function. I want to know what it can be used for, and possible reason that they have done that. (By the way, this song has been played live, and recorded in one session without using metronome of the DAW)

Huge thanks Nick:emoji_pray::emoji_pray::emoji_pray:

Last edited:
This happened to me once a thousand years ago and I was as confused then. So yeah, it's about musical mode and that one is really handy because it allows you to time-stretch audio just like midi. Naturally, you don't need that for mastering stuff but music music composing and multitrack productions it's sometimes really neat to have around so easily.

They way it works that you need to define the tempo of the original audio in the pool (you can set that manually or from the current project tempo) and tap the small X for switching the musical mode on. Then make sure your track is set on musical base as well, and now when you change the tempo, your audio is reacting to that as well instead of going out of sync. In your case, it seems that all these conditions were basically met (the file creator had pre-defined a tempo, your track was in musical mode but the project tempo was different than the file tempo) and Cubase thought that you wanted to stretch the audio.

It's a really good feature and has saved my ass a zillion times, but it can be a bit confusing if it happens out of the blue you don't know what's going on.

This happened to me once a thousand years ago and I was as confused then. So yeah, it's about musical mode and that one is really handy because it allows you to time-stretch audio just like midi. Naturally, you don't need that for mastering stuff but music music composing and multitrack productions it's sometimes really neat to have around so easily.

They way it works that you need to define the tempo of the original audio in the pool (you can set that manually or from the current project tempo) and tap the small X for switching the musical mode on. Then make sure your track is set on musical base as well, and now when you change the tempo, your audio is reacting to that as well instead of going out of sync. In your case, it seems that all these conditions were basically met (the file creator had pre-defined a tempo, your track was in musical mode but the project tempo was different than the file tempo) and Cubase thought that you wanted to stretch the audio.

It's a really good feature and has saved my ass a zillion times, but it can be a bit confusing if it happens out of the blue you don't know what's going on.
Wow! Perfectly useful feature. Thank you for explanation Henu. :emoji_pray:
Is this features only in Cubase? Not in any other DAW?

Top Bottom