What's new

I quit my job to go full-time creative! Here's the vlog

Actually, this life is all about relationships, because it’s the one thing you take with you when you move off this mortal coil. This world is passing away, with everything in it, but you and your loved ones will continue to exist, regardless of how little scientist know about the life to come.

So Alex, if you are persuing your dreams and building a relationship with your new child, I’d say that’s a win-win. Money comes and goes, most people think they have a handle on it but you can lose a job or have a house burn down at any moment, but your relationships never go away. As Consi said, follow your dream, God has put it there for a reason. Ignore it and you may be richer financially, but it will suck out your soul, and you can’t take the cash (or your DAW) with you when you go.
Thank you. I am currently on parental leave and I love every moment of it. I also plan on taking the cash -YES, this is not mutually exclusive! -but that's another story.

My "family first" I live by establishing a culture—a culture of nurturing, unconditional love boundless creativity and self-expression.
Just yesterday morning at breakfast I felt challenged by my daughter and overwhelmed so I started hugging myself rather than lashing out needlessly (which was my wont):

My 3-year-old immediately asked me: "Do you love YOURSELF?" she was beaming. I said:"Yes, I do" to which she replied:" I love myself, too- I love EVERYTHING about me". WOW!

When she bounces about, happily singing and dancing and challenging me, I am proud of our established culture.

I am currently on parental leave and I love every moment of it.
Ah, that kind of changes the outlook on your situation. Not sure about your demographic, but here in Canada, many employers will allow up to 15 of parental leave, and you can still collect unemployment insurance. That’s completely different from simply quitting your job with zero income coming in from your end (which is what I thought you had done).

Ah, that kind of changes the outlook on your situation. Not sure about your demographic, but here in Canada, many employers will allow up to 15 of parental leave, and you can still collect unemployment insurance. That’s completely different from simply quitting your job with zero income coming in from your end (which is what I thought you had done).
Yeah, I thought the first video in particular was a bit disingenuous. Paternity benefits in Germany apparently are about 2/3rds of your pre-paternity income, and teachers get a decent wage over there, so its really not the huge gamble he's making it out to be. I mean good on him for taking this opportunity to see if something else will work out better for him, but presumably he has the opportunity when its all over, to go back to his old job. If that's the case, I wonder how his employer views his video?

Just to clarify….did you literally quit your job (as mentioned again in this last video) or take a temporary parental leave (as you mentioned in the thread)? Completely different scenarios.
Yeah, please answer this. I kinda feel like this headline you're using is unintentional clickbait and is drawing in a lot of fire. I'm Canadian and never ever heard of it being normal to take extended parental leaves like this, that's why we have Nannies.

Even then, take the having a kid out of the situation. If I were to lose my job and have to rely on a job loss insurance payout for a bit and went on welfare and made a video "I quit my job to go on welfare and live off my job loss insurance payout to make music instead of finding a new job right away!" it'd seem pretty hilariously laughable.
Maybe you're not seeing that side of things that a lot of people are having a hard time to even remotely relate to your situation.

Just focus on making music and video content for yourself, not for your social media. Then you'll find happiness and inspiration in musical creation.

Last edited:
Hello composers. Yes, I quit my job and I started vlogging about building my business from scratch. Mindset, approach, planning, assessment, major roadblocks, failures - I will talk about everything. I do not aim to be a film composer, because I'm not willing to pay the price and that is something that most people do NOT talk about- are you willing to pay the price?

Well, here's the playlist:
1 I quit my job - the inner critic

2 Starting "from scratch"
3 Spotify Strike
4 Spotify Strike cont.
5 Goals? nah- THIS-->
6 Productivity Hack
Enjoy

Congrats Alex, I quit my job 2 years ago to go full steam ahead on music and it's been quite the journey! I don't regret it one bit.

Top Bottom