What's new

How's Dorico Now?

I and every colleague I work with are still waiting. There are too many missing features to make it useful for a professional copyist or orchestrator.

It has tons of potential but is not ready yet.

I actually bought the crossgrade, but as soon as I got the time to install and try out, I decided to wait until the next major upgrade. That way, there will probably a grace period to get the next upgrade for free and after reading what is missing from this program currently, I get the feeling it is a little bit to expensive to me to just try it out, participate in a beta program and finally decide it was to early to jump ... probably v 1.5 (or 2.0 or whatever they will call the next major upgrade) will still not be quite there yet! I hope it will at least support video! :)

I actually bought the crossgrade, but as soon as I got the time to install and try out, I decided to wait until the next major upgrade. That way, there will probably a grace period to get the next upgrade for free and after reading what is missing from this program currently, I get the feeling it is a little bit to expensive to me to just try it out, participate in a beta program and finally decide it was to early to jump ... probably v 1.5 (or 2.0 or whatever they will call the next major upgrade) will still not be quite there yet! I hope it will at least support video! :)
Seems like 1.5 or 2 will hopefully make it on par with the others. I hope! (Crossgrade from Sibelius better not run out by then)

@Elephant : personally I like the interface - the cleaner and simpler, the better.

@peter5992 These things really are highly personal. I am not suggesting that Steinberg deprecate the current UI colours, just make sure that other options are available for people who for whatever reason, prefer different colour schemes. The current fad for black and grey in music software UI design is one of the general criticisms I have of the industry. In my case, I will not give such UIs a second thought. It's up to users to be vocal enough with the suppliers to insist on what they want, when it becomes necessary. Authentic feedback to suppliers is all grist for the mill.

@Guillermo Navarrete - please could you advise whether there will be more colour schemes implemented in Dorico as options in the preferences pane, and if so in which release it can be expected. If none will be, it is likely I will continue with Sibelius and not move over.

Thanks !
E

Last edited:
No news from Steinberg
Decision made - if I want to upgrade it will be to Sib 8. Will not hold my breath for Dorico. If it suddenly appears and does what I need, fine.

Dorico needs some serious augmentation of functions in order to be worthwhile IMHO.
No MIDI recording? MIDI recording has been around for almost 40 years now, they couldn't toss some basic code in the mix for this? Are you joking? I wouldn't be surprised if they lost 90% of their potential customers with that oversight.

I am not paying $700 to be a beta tester for a program which has *much* less functionality than it's competitors.

Last edited:
Dorico needs some serious augmentation of functions in order to be worthwhile IMHO.
No MIDI recording? MIDI recording has been for almost 40 years now, they couldn't toss some basic code in the mix for this? Are you joking? I wouldn't be surprised if they lost 90% of their potential customers over that oversight.

I am not paying $700 to be a beta tester for a program which has *much* less functionality than it's competitors.

I had high hopes for Dorico. I am 64, and I no longer expect it to become a viable alternative within my lifetime. I am sad to say that if I was CEO of Steinberg I would pull the plug on Dorico and stop throwing more money down that particular pit. Perhaps it now makes some sense why Avid fired the old Sibelius team and hired new people. Perhaps the old Sibelius team just wasn't getting the job done at Avid anymore either. Meanwhile, Sibelius continues to come out with a steady stream of minor improvements, and an occasional major improvement. And with NotePerformer it has excellent playback for a notation program. The truth for me is that despite a few flaws, Sibelius gets the job done just fine.

Well I think you gonna live to see Dorico in a mature and excellent version ;)
I still keep hanging on to Sibelius, but I must say that I don't understand that a company like Avid can live with the poor standard this app has become. Bugs are not getting corrected, and the whole convoluted way Sibelius is working is in my opinion a result of a very old core with a lot of badly implemented solutions. Let me give one example: Everybody were happy to see the implementation of Housestyles, in one click you could change the whole look of a score or part, you could even have housestyles for different parts! So you go along and creates your own Housestyle - and using export - Housestyles you are presented with - not a fileselector - but a box where you can give it a name. When you import the Housestyle you have a selection window, and you can select the Housestyle you just created. Now you want to change a little tiny thing about this Housestyle, ex. the text size of the tittle, so you change the size and hit Appearance/Housestyle/Export now you have to remember the style you created. Was it "Piano+vc" or was it "Piano + vocal", did you use the title of the Show (West Side Story - WSS Piano + vocal)? So you have to select the Import Housestyle to remind you about the name, and don't forget to NOT hit the ok button. And if you get it right Sibelius will inform you that you are about to overwrite a file.
Why not use the filesystem on the computer, much faster, much easier for everybody?

Well I think you gonna live to see Dorico in a mature and excellent version ;)
I still keep hanging on to Sibelius, but I must say that I don't understand that a company like Avid can live with the poor standard this app has become. Bugs are not getting corrected, and the whole convoluted way Sibelius is working is in my opinion a result of a very old core with a lot of badly implemented solutions. Let me give one example: Everybody were happy to see the implementation of Housestyles, in one click you could change the whole look of a score or part, you could even have housestyles for different parts! So you go along and creates your own Housestyle - and using export - Housestyles you are presented with - not a fileselector - but a box where you can give it a name. When you import the Housestyle you have a selection window, and you can select the Housestyle you just created. Now you want to change a little tiny thing about this Housestyle, ex. the text size of the tittle, so you change the size and hit Appearance/Housestyle/Export now you have to remember the style you created. Was it "Piano+vc" or was it "Piano + vocal", did you use the title of the Show (West Side Story - WSS Piano + vocal)? So you have to select the Import Housestyle to remind you about the name, and don't forget to NOT hit the ok button. And if you get it right Sibelius will inform you that you are about to overwrite a file.
Why not use the filesystem on the computer, much faster, much easier for everybody?

For the sake of the Steinberg folks, I hope you are correct about Dorico one day becoming a viable product. While I agree that Sibelius is not perfect, I think minor annoyances like the one you mentioned are, well, minor.

For a young product like Dorico it has come to a good level. The only mistake they did - in my opinion - is the early publishing date. If they would have called it "Dorico first" or "Dorico tryout" or something like that nobody would have expected a mature full featured app. Big feature gaps like missing midi recording or drum/rhythm notation make it still unuseable for a lot of users.
But the existing features are really on a pro level. Look, speed, stability... compare that to the first version of Sibelius, Notion, Finale! Give them two more years. 66 is a good age to get a good notation program :)

For a young product like Dorico it has come to a good level. The only mistake they did - in my opinion - is the early publishing date.

Saxer nailed it. It has great potential. The features that are there are solid. It is simply not ready for professional use at this point and should have been released as a beta.

Saxer nailed it. It has great potential. The features that are there are solid. It is simply not ready for professional use at this point and should have been released as a beta.

Despite my love for music, I spent 30 years in business, most as a commercial banker. I expect Yamaha just could not continue to pour millions into Dorico year after year with no revenue. It would not be fair to their other employees, customers and investors. The Japanese think more long term than westerners, but even they have limits. This way the market decides if the product has a future, and if it does not, it will have been the free market rejecting the product, not the Yamaha management team.

Personally I've taken a break from Dorico, waiting for some functions/changes that are essential for me (a workflow which is a lot more self-explanatory etc). I even consider buying Sibelius for some of it's features. Nevertheless, Dorico is probably the notation program which is developed most actively at the moment.

Here are some of the things I hope to see soon:
Real time MIDI recording
Ability to move notes in pitch and time using either mouse or key commands
Key commands for everything (flip slurs, flip ties, invert chord etc)
Support for piano fingerings
Ability to hear all notes in a piano chord when moving one of them with mouse or key command.
Key command to go to next/previous should optionally play all notes in a chord.
Explode polyphony
Ability to move or copy note to another voice.
Idea hub
Ability to assign any key combination to any of the existing commands.
Diatonic transpose of selected notes with mouse or key command

Doricos output looks great, but there are simply too many things that makes me stop and think "how do I......?". Something as simple as opening a Kontakt plugin needs 'learning' in Dorico, and there are several ways to solve this. Contextual menus everywhere would help a lot.

"Ability to move notes in pitch and time using either mouse or key commands" : very important to me, and also the ability to change note duration dragging a virtual bar attached to the note. I saw this functionality on Logic but no notation editor has something as good as Logic has IMO. I like my Cubase Pro but I really would like to work on a good notation editor also.

"Ability to move notes in pitch and time using either mouse or key commands
They mentioned 2-3 years ago that they will implement it. The important question is of course: When? Does anyone here know if has been mentioned along with the other news about the new version coming later this year?

It's been awhile. Are we still their QA testers, or is the product actually usable without so many missing core features?

I downloaded it and gave it a go. Hated it. Frankly, I have no idea why they released it before it was ready. I would like to have a viable alternative to Sibelius because Avid is not my favorite company, but Dorico isn't it, at least not yet.

The thing about Dorico is that when something is implemented, it is implemented in a full way. Take drum notation for example....or chords....they are the most comprehensive implementation I have seen in any scoring program to date.
The real strength about Dorico though is in its ability to provide bespoke arrangements with a few keystrokes. This will I think become more apparent in the next two years at most, when things like 'live input' and 'scoring to picture' become available. Once the program can do 95% of what other programs can already do, it will take off as the de facto scoring package because of what it alone can do.

I bought Dorico when it first came out, but the learning curve seemed way too steep and the lack of mouse input was a deal-breaker for me. However, I went back to it a few weeks ago, dug in, and was quite impressed with many of the improvements. I will continue to use Finale for composing and MIDI playback for now, but Dorico has become my clear software of choice for engraving projects. I want to spend hours composing, not hours adjusting dynamic placement and reshaping slurs. Dorico does all those details nearly perfectly by default. This is something Finale should have been working on years ago and probably will never be able to match. Moreover, my recent experience with Dorico revealed the as-yet unrealized potential of the software (though it is admittedly still backward in a couple areas). I am confident Dorico will eventually be able to let you select easily that you want two oboe players, one of whom will double on English Horn, and will layout the full score to reflecting all the instrument switches (dividing into two staves as necessary) with the 2nd player's part simultaneously also reflecting all switches and transpositions on a single staff. When this comes about, it will be a touchstone in the history of notation software.

Top Bottom