What's new

Howdidly Do!

Thank you for your welcome. Not really into the self-disclosure thing, but things are extremely stressful in our lives right now. Things are so stressful right now that downloading a TB seems likely to add to my stress. Especially at 1.7 mb/sec.
Cheers.
Ooh I see what you mean. That would take almost an entire week.

With that in mind, I believe that Nucleus Lite is only 5 GB or so. I'm not sure if that style would be a fit for you (it's geared towards epic modern music) but it would definitely be something worth checking out, as it's only $100, requires a relatively small download, and is advertised to not be resource-heavy.

Thanks. I'm a stubborn old geezer, so I'll likely make it happen (HOOPUS). EW has a free month for Composer Cloud, so I may take that opportunity to do the download. Just have to put off immediate gratification. :emoji_tired_face:

Last edited:
You are not the youtuber Glenn F., right?

From some developers you might be able to order a library on an external usb drive for additional cost. That might lead to additional import tax though.

Between 300-500€. As I said in another thread, I bought Musio 1 for 199€ a couple of weeks ago. So, my leeway is smaller than I'd like (I'm married). Orchestral libraries are giant rabbitholes that I don't want to fall into too deeply.
I have Musio 1, and the old VSL SEs, bought 11 years ago, now.
Hi Glenn, and welcome to the forum.
I would have thought Musio 1 would be perfect for you.
What don't you like about it?

Hi Glenn, and welcome to the forum.
I would have thought Musio 1 would be perfect for you.
What don't you like about it?
Hi, and thank you for your greeting. I find the woodwinds lacking, the flutes and the clarinets don't sound authentic to me. Some of the trumpets, as well. The strings…other than different articulations, seem the same in Core and Pro versions, no crossfades between non-vibrato to vibrato. There's lots of good stuff there, no question, and in the context of adding something to music as I described above, workable in a mix. But not when I want a realistic part that stands out in a mix, if that makes any sense.

I started looking into these things about 3 or 4 years ago, and have come to slowly accept that samples will never quite sound like the real thing, especially solo instruments.
This is because a solo musician will produce subtle variation in their timbre and vibrato with each note that can't be replicated in a sample library.
As far as I know, there are no woodwinds libraries that have successfully produced a crossfade from non-vibrato to vibrato.
This is for technical reasons. If you overlay two samples of differing vibrato, you get phasing effects, which sound horrible.

The only way to overcome this is to use sample modelling (eg. SWAM, and Vwinds).
Performed with a breath controller they are pretty good, but just lack some of the richness of a real recording.

Berlin Woodwinds is widely regarded as "The best" available today, with Cinematic Studio Woodwinds as a worthy contender for that title.
But Berlin Woodwinds only has a single dynamic layer and baked in vibrato.
(so it's completely non-adjustable).

I'm content with Cinewinds Pro for my woodwinds for now, but if I wanted to upgrade on soloists, I might consider Musical Sampling which have some great solo woodwinds with true legato.

I bought the Herring Clarinet on sale, which I think is probably one of the most convincing solo clarinets available.

If you're only doing a small volume of music, and just want a soloist for a small part, you might consider hiring an actual soloist from Fiverr. They can be quite affordable, though the quality will vary.

Hi G
Thank you for your welcome. Not really into the self-disclosure thing, but things are extremely stressful in our lives right now. Things are so stressful right now that downloading a TB seems likely to add to my stress. Especially at 1.7 mb/sec.
Cheers.

Thanks. I'm a stubborn old geezer, so I'll likely make it happen (HOOPUS). EW has a free month for Composer Cloud, so I may take that opportunity to do the download. Just have to put off immediate gratification. :emoji_tired_face:
I was just about to recommend Composer Cloud to start with. It's the only thing I use, and besides the amazing and instantaneous live chat support (Pacific Time), my favorite thing about it is that I don't have to decide what I want my next thing to sound like based on what instruments I happen to own. CC lets you make any kind of musical sound you can possibly think of, and the "real" ones do sound pretty real. It's also really nice because you can swap out libraries as your needs and available disc space dictate. The big orchestral libraries take a lot of room though, so I would recommend getting an external SSD drive to put your libraries on. Mine is 2TB and it's enough for all my needs, though of course I can't keep everything all the time (nor do I need to).

Thanks for sharing your experience. I am one of those people who do not like subscription models on principle. In this case, I am leaning toward the free month of CC to test out HOOPUS, and possibly anything else orchestral that isn't included in the package. I just dread the download times. I just bought 2TB SSD for this purpose.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I am one of those people who do not like subscription models on principle. In this case, I am leaning toward the free month of CC to test out HOOPUS, and possibly anything else orchestral that isn't included in the package. I just dread the download times. I just bought 2TB SSD for this purpose.
Howdy Glenn, semi-noob myself.

They've got a mixed reputation on this site (for a number of reasons),
but if you have the full version of Kontakt for your DAW, check out 8Dio's stuff.
Their kontakt libraries are insanely cheeep right now, and some of them are still quite good, if a bit older. I was sort of in your position and ended up getting bogged down in the research; the "paralysis of choice" was pretty bad. Eventually, I spent a pretty penny on some libraries that, while very good (one of them is awesome even), I could have saved some dough as a starter by going to the 8DIO site to begin with.

Of course, as most of the hardcore VI-Cers will tell you, once you get one Orchestral section set/series, you'l wanna get another, and another, and another...:emoji_flushed:

Thank you all for your welcome and suggestions. I've gone for the Composer Cloud 1 year sub. Ought to give me enough time to determine if this is right for me. Comes to about 12 bucks a month.

Cheers, beers,
Glenn

Top Bottom