What's new

How would you program these huge drums (any libraries come to mind?)

Actually your first instinct was kinda right, that sounds like the Damage 2 Monster Lows Patch. Basically a combination of Gran Cassa/Bassdrum/Low Taikos if i remember correctly.

Now then theres a ton of compression on it, close mics toned down quite a lot, and some mid percussion on top which i currently cant tell, probably just toms?

Last edited:
Actually your first instinct was kinda right, that sounds like the Damage 2 Monster Lows Patch. Basically a combination of Gran Cassa/Bassdrum/Low Taikos if i remember correctly.

Now then theres a ton of compression on it, close mics toned down quite a lot, and some mid percussion on top which i currently cant tell, probably just toms?
You're right! Just tried it with both low monster patches layered together and it's 75% there! Now I'm wondering how the drums from 2:32 can be replicated. Not sure if that's panning or using the damage II's room designer in a creative way.

Try the Solo Toms performance patch :) Its prepanned left->right ascending

Although im too tired to really tell - could just be panning automation.

Try the Solo Toms performance patch :) Its prepanned left->right ascending

Although im too tired to really tell - could just be panning automation.
This might be it. I decided to fully recreate this track and I'm getting to this part now. I'm really starting to believe it's mostly damage II and forzo by heavyocity.

These are taikos for sure. Definitely not Damage 2's, because these were recorded in a much larger, more ambient room... (Epic Taiko Ens would also do the job, however I offer that with the obligatory personal dislike for 8Dio... Dagu would also do the job, but would require quite a bit of extra reverb).

HZ Percussion Taiko patch tuned up 3 semitones, room mic added in, boom knob at around 30% seems to be pretty close. They are definitely taikos though

The main sound is 100% the taiko ensemble from HZ Percussion
Spot on! Damn they sound identical. I didn't know that library had such a huge sound. Always thought it was just random world percussion.

These are taikos for sure. Definitely not Damage 2's, because these were recorded in a much larger, more ambient room... (Epic Taiko Ens would also do the job, however I offer that with the obligatory personal dislike for 8Dio... Dagu would also do the job, but would require quite a bit of extra reverb).
Why the dislike for 8dio? Just curious. I heard there was some drama but never found out what.

Spot on! Damn they sound identical. I didn't know that library had such a huge sound. Always thought it was just random world percussion.

Why the dislike for 8dio? Just curious. I heard there was some drama but never found out what.
A few reasons.

1. They're famous for leaving libraries broken. (Literally never fixing some of them for well over a decade).

2. They have a well documented history of threatening people with lawsuits & attempting to gaslight their users with completely bonkers misinformation about the details when longstanding, widely respected members of this community have spoken out...

Although some of the threads have been hidden it's been widely documented on here, including some poignant insight from Mike himself... At one point even Evil Dragon (who's about as even neutral as they come, the guy literally never starts drama with anyone...) weighed in on some of the shady stuff he saw them pull over the years...

This is one of the few remaining threads I can find where most of the details are still public...

Top Bottom