What's new

How to sync Reaper configs ?

Fredeke

Hi
I'd like to synchronize two installs of Reaper, on two computers: js scripts, custom actions, etc.
The thing is, I made scripts and actions I'd like to keep on both computers, so I can't just replace one config with the other with a config import/export. That would overwrite everything I did on one computer.
Is there a way to get everything I did everywhere everywhere?
Thanks.

Can you do the standard export on the 1st computer, save a backup on the 2nd computer, import, then open the scripts folder et al and add content by copy/paste? This would effectively merge everything AFAIK.

Can you do the standard export on the 1st computer, save a backup on the 2nd computer, import, then open the scripts folder et al and add content by copy/paste? This would effectively merge everything AFAIK.
The Script folder is /Effects/, right? I suppose the custom action folder should be along it?

Is all I have to do synchronize all folders at that level? That is, copy them on top of each other, back and forth, selecting the "overwrite older files" option? Then there would be no need to export/import anything, even.

Am I right?

I believe so. The "export configuration" is pretty comprehensive, and it sounds like the only reason that this won't work for you is because you already have customizations in two locations, not one, so no single instance has everything you want to sync. But I would still export/import the instance that is the most customized as a starting point.

In Windows at least, all Reaper content is in user/appdata/roaming/reaper and also in program files/reaper... I sync 3 copies of Reaper: desktop, laptop and thumb drive. But I've never had to merge the "best of" multiple instances, and-depending on what customizations you have made-you may have to manually, say, go into reaper.ini if you have made manual changes there before.

So back everything up first, for sure. But it should be doable without too much time and trouble, as long as you have a handle on what the exact customizations are.

But I've never had to merge the "best of" multiple instances, and-depending on what customizations you have made-you may have to manually, say, go into reaper.ini if you have made manual changes there before.
I don't have much visual customization to preserve, and no (or very few) shortcut modification. Every thing I want to synchronize is addition: custom actions, home-made js scripts, ... So maybe it's all in added files rather than updated files? That should make things pretty easy.

Last edited:
I'm not sure, since, again, I've never had to combine two. Back everything up and then give it a shot, merging everything so that your add-ins are added in. I would think this would work, but don't know. Good luck.

I'm not sure, since, again, I've never had to combine two. Back everything up and then give it a shot, merging everything so that your add-ins are added in. I would think this would work, but don't know. Good luck.
ok. i'll let you know

Top Bottom