What's new

How to "signal" as midi in Reaper?

C.R. Rivera

Popper @ his favorite toy.
Pardon my ignorance, but I am highly confounded. I use Reaper, I have an audio interace that captures the audio in Reaper. However, what do I need to capture the input signal from a physical analog synth as a MIDI track? I was told a midi interface alongside the audio interface will do that. But, when I look at the various ones, they do not SEEM to do so. Am I approaching this in the wrong manner? I see several instances on Youtube of capturing both audio and mide (for the piano roll), but am I seeing that wrong? I see Sweetwater has a low cost "midi interface" but cannot sus out if that will work.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Carlos

If the analog synth has both audio output jacks and MIDI output jacks, then you'll be able to record MIDI from it by connecting it to the MIDI interface, doing whatever configuration on the synth is required to put it in MIDI output mode, and selecting the MIDI interface as your track input source in Reaper.

If the synth has only audio output jacks and no MIDI jacks, then you're out of luck.

If the analog synth has both audio output jacks and MIDI output jacks, then you'll be able to record MIDI from it by connecting it to the MIDI interface, doing whatever configuration on the synth is required to put it in MIDI output mode, and selecting the MIDI interface as your track input source in Reaper.

If the synth has only audio output jacks and no MIDI jacks, then you're out of luck.
Hi pmcrockett

Yes, I have the berhringer deepmind 12 desktop and I have hooked up to my pc. But, I was, perhaps in error, seeing that capturing the midi signal in a "midi" and not audio interace would allow me to create a midi track that could be edited. I will also check the manual for that but I wondered if that was just a myth.

Cheers and thanks

Carlos

Looking at the Deepmind 12D manual (page 123), it looks like it actually supports sending MIDI over USB and wifi, so you shouldn't need MIDI cables or a MIDI interface at all. If you have the Deepmind drivers installed, it should show up as a MIDI device in Reaper.

In REAPER do this:

1) Select the following menu: Options > Preferences

2) in the preference panel select: MIDI Devices

3) the panel on the right will show aMIDI input and MIDI output lists

4) in the MIDI input you should see a list of all the MIDI devices installed on your computer

5) your Deepmind device should be there: make sure its Mode is set to "Enabled+Control"
This should ensure you can send MIDI notes and CC info to REAPER

6) Create a new track in REAPER

7) Click on "Input" in the track panel - there should be a pop-up list showing Audio and MIDI inputes.
Select "MIDI Input" and select either your device, or "All MIDI Inputs" and set them to "All Channels"

You should now be set-up...

8) Click "Record" and play some notes on your keyboard - they should be recognised and recorded.

Hello folks,

Hi Rudi, yes, I have that already. and much appreciate all of the responses, but I think I am losing something in translation. What I understand is that one can capture the midi signal in Reaper, which I can do, but I what I am trying to find out is:

Can you capture the MIDI signal, edit it in the piano roll, and then, feed it back to the synth to produce the sound produced with the edits of the Midi capture? I am trying to find the video/s that show a DAW with both, where the user is able to do that. I don't know if the user was mistaken but his/her screen does show both an audio and midi interface and seemed to suggest such was possible. I did look at page 123, but it seems there are different versions of the DM12 manual.

Cheers and thanks,

Carlos (old historian)

Last edited:
Hello folks,

Hi Rudi, yes, I have that already. and much appreciate all of the responses, but I think I am losing something in translation. What I understand is that one can capture the midi signal in Reaper, which I can do, but I what I am trying to find out is:

Can you capture the MIDI signal, edit it in the piano roll, and then, feed it back to the synth to produce the sound produced with the edits of the Midi capture? I am trying to find the video/s that show a DAW with both, where the user is able to do that. I don't know if the user was mistaken but his/her screen does show both an audio and midi interface and seemed to suggest such was possible. I did look at page 123, but it seems there are different versions of the DM12 manual.

Cheers and thanks,

Carlos (old historian)
Got it -- yes, I misunderstood the question. It looks like you should be able to send MIDI back to the Deepmind, too. Make sure the Deepmind is enabled as a MIDI output device in Reaper (Preferences > MIDI Devices). When it's enabled, press the Route button on the MIDI track to bring up the track routing window. In the upper right, under MIDI Hardware Output, you should be able to select the Deepmind from the dropdown menu. It may be necessary to do some configuration on the Deepmind also to make it respond to incoming MIDI; not sure about that.

The version of the manual i'm looking at is the one linked from here: https://www.behringer.com/product.html?modelCode=P0CF7.

Got it -- yes, I misunderstood the question. It looks like you should be able to send MIDI back to the Deepmind, too. Make sure the Deepmind is enabled as a MIDI output device in Reaper (Preferences > MIDI Devices). When it's enabled, press the Route button on the MIDI track to bring up the track routing window. In the upper right, under MIDI Hardware Output, you should be able to select the Deepmind from the dropdown menu. It may be necessary to do some configuration on the Deepmind also to make it respond to incoming MIDI; not sure about that.

The version of the manual i'm looking at is the one linked from here: https://www.behringer.com/product.html?modelCode=P0CF7.
Thank you greatly. I shall give it a try this evening. Have a great day!

Cheers

Carlos

Top Bottom