What's new

How many here actually make their own Sample Libraries?

Not sure I would say I'm creating any 'sample libraries'..., but virtually every project I do has at least a few custom made Kontakt patches using my own samples for source material. Sometimes I use the Photosynthesis engine, sometimes I roll my own. The new H2 Chaos engine looks quite promising for this as well. I'm certainly not scripting any legato transitions or anything like that though. In those cases, it's much cheaper (for me) to just find a library that does what I want and buy it.

Although..., I did create a 'library' for UI sounds (because I need that kinda shit all the time for my work).

I've only ever made one virtual instrument, a banjo. There's a few other instruments I'd love to sample though.

I'd much rather spend $150 for a commercially-available instrument than spend 150 hours creating one myself, so the only instruments I'll create are ones that need to be created. For example, the odds of me sampling a concert violin are 0%
very wise decision. Why did´t you tell me before. ;) I´m in the trap for 8 years now to get that Violin done........and the Viola, Cello, doublebass

I did this for many years and very often I have a smile in my face, when a "new" library comes out what represents what I already did many years ago ... . :)
The best example were the string runs ...... . ;)

i do create my own!. Mainly in longer tv projects where I’ll use things consistently and will b much quicker to build a simple kontakt than to re record every time.

Have also done it with longs, pizz and spic for string orchestra to help “glue” edits on a tv show where we recorded the music with the same orchestra and hall. A simple and a bit out of tune lib that comes handy many times!. And we just spent 15 mins doing a pass on all notes, mf.

i do create my own!. Mainly in longer tv projects where I’ll use things consistently and will b much quicker to build a simple kontakt than to re record every time.

Have also done it with longs, pizz and spic for string orchestra to help “glue” edits on a tv show where we recorded the music with the same orchestra and hall. A simple and a bit out of tune lib that comes handy many times!. And we just spent 15 mins doing a pass on all notes, mf.

That’s great! I’m considering making a collection of foley sample libraries too, mainly thinking about a vast selection of different footsteps etc. Would be very handy.

I’ve just discovered the Nils Liberg KSP package for Sublime Text 3 and it’s wonderful. Currently at the point of learning how to put knobs, sliders and faders on a UI in Kontakt. It’s very satisfying!

I resample a lot of stuff. Like stacked libraries or ensemble patches made out of single instruments etc... I have simplified versions of a lot of orchestral instruments that work fast and easy in Logics EXS. I also sampled some hardware synths running through outboard gear like the Eventide 4000. And I sampled all this stuff probably everybody who ever sampled did at some time... kitchen utilities, door slams, stomps and handclaps, 'singing' wine glasses, mouth percussion...

Started off wanting to sample my own bass for my own use, so I could run it through heavy processing more quickly and conveniently. And now an updated version of that same bass is getting more than 100 downloads a day, and I've made things that ended up so big and complicated it made more sense to sell them than offer them for free.

We will see how generous mediafire continues to be with my bandwidth, which has been crazy generous so far, but I could host instruments up to say a couple hundred megs for the time being anyway if anyone wants to give away PC or CC licensed samples or instruments or such.

I finished over 10K samples, and maybe a 100 Kontakt instruments for myself this year.

The time spent building libraries is actually recuperated when composing. It increases the writing/mixing speed when you know exactly the sounds you need.

Then there's the obvious benefits of sonically standing out in saturated market... yadiyadiyada

Anyway, here's an example of a Lyre I sampled with round robins a few months ago.

• 2 Articulations: muted and open
  • Artifically Extended Range
  • Processed Patches: ambient drone, gated pulse, plucky envelope filters, distorted braaam, bass "synth".
Everything tonal in the demo is made from the Lyre. The drums and SFX are custom.

If there's an interest, I may give it away. (There's just no UI, and tuning problems in the extended low register).

Last edited:
I finished over 10K samples, and maybe a 100 Kontakt instruments for myself this year.

The time spent building libraries is actually recuperated when composing. It increases the writing/mixing speed when you know exactly the sounds you need.

Then there's the obvious benefits of sonically standing out in saturated market... yadiyadiyada

Anyway, here's an example of a Lyre I sampled with round robins laster year.

• 2 articulations: muted and open
  • Extended tuning
  • Processed versions: ambient drone, plucky envelope filters, distorted braaam, bass "synth".
Everything tonal in the demo is made from the Lyre. The drums and SFX are custom.

If there's an interest I made give it away for free :)

This sounds great. I'll take one, please :)

Yay, this sounds great! The entire production and FX are very cool (obviously haha) and I like the sound of that lyre! I'm already seeing myself transforming it into a distant plucked piano type patch...
I'm listing my interest! :D

Anyway, here's an example of a Lyre I sampled with round robins a few months ago.

• 2 Articulations: muted and open
  • Artifically Extended Range
  • Processed Patches: ambient drone, gated pulse, plucky envelope filters, distorted braaam, bass "synth".

If there's an interest, I may give it away. (There's just no UI, and tuning problems in the extended low register).

That's wicked man. I think there's interest haha

Top Bottom