What's new

Hey! LA-composer looking for collaborators

garyshields

Hello from Los Angeles. Today is the day for my first post on VI-Control!

I have a background in composition but have worked in music/arts administration for the past 15yrs. Music technology has been somewhat of an archnemesis of mine throughout the years and I didn’t learn my first DAW (Ableton) until the pandemic (2020) and I’m still on the road to improving my production chops.

One of the things I'm interested in is finding potential collaborators, creative partners, etc. My music is mostly orchestral and thematic, with some dabblings with electronic elements. In my head, I can hear my own music elevated to another level through collaboration with composers adept in electronic music, percussion/drums writing, orchestration, and other specialties.

I feel my music might best suit games and animation, but I’m really open to everything. I will keep working at my silly dream to be a music theme-writer one day, no matter how unrealistic! :thumbsup: My website and one of my recent tracks are below. Looking forward to getting to know some folks through this forum!

https://www.garyshieldsmusic.com/

Welcome aboard Gary! Loved your track and I say keep at that "silly" dream because with talent like yours you never know where it might take you!

your background reminds me of Marco beltrami. I knew his music from movies that used heavy sound design and thats why I was a fan but when I met him at a ucla chat he gave I learned he has like a master in composition and degrees in music theory etc. And later of course heard his more orchestral scores and surely knows his stuff. And that he has a collaborator who does the sound design/production stuff.

Are you doing everything with Ableton? have you tried cubase/logic? From my understanding Ableton is not that great for scoring for a few issues but not sure if they changed that in the latest release. Which I should download. I use it for sound design stuff.

your background reminds me of Marco beltrami. I knew his music from movies that used heavy sound design and thats why I was a fan but when I met him at a ucla chat he gave I learned he has like a master in composition and degrees in music theory etc. And later of course heard his more orchestral scores and surely knows his stuff. And that he has a collaborator who does the sound design/production stuff.

Are you doing everything with Ableton? have you tried cubase/logic? From my understanding Ableton is not that great for scoring for a few issues but not sure if they changed that in the latest release. Which I should download. I use it for sound design stuff.
Yeah, I like Beltrami. Great composer. And he studied with Jerry Goldsmith, who's one of my all-time favs. I'd love to start experimenting more with sound design myself, since I'm more of a melodist. It'd be great to give space and breath to my piece. I'm doing everything in Ableton, the only DAW I own. I realize I need to get at least one other DAW under my belt. Cubase/logic are likely where I'll start next. I've used Ableton's scoring tool on a few occasions. I used it successfully a couple times, and then I had some issues with codec, etc, so I kinda moved on; but I haven't really been scoring to vid as much as I've been cranking out theme-based pieces.

Great demos @garyshields and welcome to the forum!

Do you know who that is?
Thank you @Pier! I can't tell if you're asking me or gsilbers that question. If you're asking me, I don't know his name off the top of my head, but I swear I saw a YouTube video within the past year with Marco and this person doing some field recordings near their studio in Palisades/Malibu area, I think.

Great demos @garyshields and welcome to the forum!

Do you know who that is?
I would guess Buck Sanders

Hello from Los Angeles. Today is the day for my first post on VI-Control!

I have a background in composition but have worked in music/arts administration for the past 15yrs. Music technology has been somewhat of an archnemesis of mine throughout the years and I didn’t learn my first DAW (Ableton) until the pandemic (2020) and I’m still on the road to improving my production chops.

One of the things I'm interested in is finding potential collaborators, creative partners, etc. My music is mostly orchestral and thematic, with some dabblings with electronic elements. In my head, I can hear my own music elevated to another level through collaboration with composers adept in electronic music, percussion/drums writing, orchestration, and other specialties.

I feel my music might best suit games and animation, but I’m really open to everything. I will keep working at my silly dream to be a music theme-writer one day, no matter how unrealistic! :thumbsup: My website and one of my recent tracks are below. Looking forward to getting to know some folks through this forum!

https://www.garyshieldsmusic.com/

So cool Gary!

Top Bottom