What's new

Help me figure out my drives?

Buddy

I have 3 SATA SSDs and 1 ultra M.2 and I need help figuring out how to spread my samples and recording projects across them.

Would I see better performance running the samples off of the SATA SSDs and reserve the faster m.2 for record/read of audio files? Vice versa? Or should I split the m.2 between both duties--having it hold my demanding sample libraries and current audio projects, both?

Thanks for any ideas, I'm at a loss at how to proceed and it's totally holding up my new system build.

Last edited:
There are lots of threads over this throughout the years. Here's what I do and I have zero issues, though I am not a person with hundreds of tracks.

Projects all go on a dedicated project drive.
Samples I try to divvy up by trying to keep sample sets that I use concurrently will be on different drives. This will never be 100%, but what I've done works.
Operating system on a separate drive
Video files on a separate drive

Hope this helps

Thanks, this is really helpful. The M.2 seems to have solved Cinestrings crackling and popping, so that's made the decision as to what goes on there, and your post helps me know that I shouldn't also include the projects on that drive.

Reactions: LFO
Top Bottom