What's new

Hello from South Jersey USA

Seasharp

Hi:

Just signed up a few days ago and finally have time to say hi.

Been composing and recording music for the last 7 or 8 years. Up until a few weeks ago my process was to create custom backing tracks on my Motif/Montage to accompany the leads. Then when ready just push the record button and record live onto the drive. Just like recording a live performance in a studio. After multiple takes I usually get what I wanted. I was always uncomfortable with using a DAW and it seemed a foreign way to record (played Tenor Sax in a band for 15 years) plus I never understood how to use one. I tried Cubase Elements a few times with little success. However I knew that if I wanted to move onto larger orchestral based works I would have to learn how to use one. So being an all MAC person I fired up the latest version of Garageband on my iMAC, bought a great iBook "GarageBand X and How it Works"and the veil finally lifted. So in the last couple of weeks I was able to create two multi tracked works and I'm loving it. Have a lot to learn and in a little while I'll post one of my works for review. I need good constructive criticism to help me identify the good and not so good about what I'm doing and look forward to listening to others works and learning all I can.

Joe

Hello to another fellow from deep in the heart of Jersey! Well I moved since but I've been there most of my life, and have a Motif too.

I mostly do orchestral type music but I love playing a virtual sax. Studio One beat the DAW barrier for me, very easy design to pick up.

Hello to another fellow from deep in the heart of Jersey! Well I moved since but I've been there most of my life, and have a Motif too.

I mostly do orchestral type music but I love playing a virtual sax. Studio One beat the DAW barrier for me, very easy design to pick up.

I have an old Tyros 3 and the only reason I keep it is for the acoustic instruments. It has for me the best Tenor Sax I’ve so far found called Breathy Tenor Sax and Jazz Tenor Sax. Great playable patches. I sold my Tenor when I got into keyboards so this gives me close to the experience of playing Sax. Have yet to find a good Alto Sax library. Any suggestions? What do you use for Sax? BTW I sold my Motif when I bought the Montage but everything that was in the Motif is now in the Montage.

I use the PLG100-VL plugin card in my Motif Rack ES, it's the same as the VL70-m. I love its particular sound, especially with some modifying of the patches. A fellow wrote some new software for that, makes it easy to work with on a modern system.

I'll probably pick up an AN card in the future too, I'd love an AN1X but it's a bit of a space issue.

I've mostly played the tenor sax patches with it hmm alto I'm not sure. There are some long time wind controller players around here if I recall correctly I'll bet you'll find some suggestions.

Non-hardware wise a lot of people seem to like the Audio Modelling libraries for realistic instruments, but they're a bit complicated to use and need a good reverb to improve the sound.

That Tyros must be nice to have! Yamaha has made some really great hardware. Someday I'll save up for one of those classic CS synths.

I use the PLG100-VL plugin card in my Motif Rack ES, it's the same as the VL70-m. I love its particular sound, especially with some modifying of the patches. A fellow wrote some new software for that, makes it easy to work with on a modern system.

I'll probably pick up an AN card in the future too, I'd love an AN1X but it's a bit of a space issue.

I've mostly played the tenor sax patches with it hmm alto I'm not sure. There are some long time wind controller players around here if I recall correctly I'll bet you'll find some suggestions.

Non-hardware wise a lot of people seem to like the Audio Modelling libraries for realistic instruments, but they're a bit complicated to use and need a good reverb to improve the sound.

That Tyros must be nice to have! Yamaha has made some really great hardware. Someday I'll save up for one of those classic CS synths.

Yes the Tyros has realistic acoustic sounds:

Classical and Jazz Trumpet
Classical and Nylon Guitar
Live Flute
Several nice Clarinets

The canned backing tracks are nice but limited and the sound is CD like rather than live. That’s why I use the Montage to create custom backing with the vast intelligent ARPs and then use the Tyros for acoustic leads.

Top Bottom