What's new

Has Virtual Sound Stage Become Abandonware?

This was provided in an email (April 23rd 2018) from Gabriel after participating in a survey regarding his software:

I also want to use the opportunity to answer some questions and hopefully explain a little bit what we are planning.

Who is ‘we’?

After five years as a small one-man software company I have finally two friends joining me: Alexander Gromeier, a film music composer, and Elias Müller, a computer scientist (both of them btw have been my roommates ;) ). Building on parallax-audio we want to develop a professional music software business that will be all about creating an ideal music creation environment, where you focus on nothing but the music itself. In a nutshell, we want to build the tools that Alex and I would love to use for writing our own music.

What is this new software ‘VSS 3 is going to be integrated in’?

We don’t want to give away too much at the moment, because the project is still in its initial stage. But we’ll keep you up to date as the development progresses. The customer survey was so insightful and you shared so many amazing ideas that we would love to build a steady feedback loop with you guys. When we have settled all the basics I will send you an email where those of you who are interested can subscribe as alpha testers and advisors.

What about VSS 2.0?

Before the new project will overwhelm me with work I will be able to release an update of VSS 2.0 with some crucial features you have requested. The version is currently in the testing phase and I hope to release it within the next two months.

best regards,

Gabriel from parallax-audio

This was provided in an email (April 23rd 2018) from Gabriel after participating in a survey regarding his software:

I also want to use the opportunity to answer some questions and hopefully explain a little bit what we are planning.

Who is ‘we’?

After five years as a small one-man software company I have finally two friends joining me: Alexander Gromeier, a film music composer, and Elias Müller, a computer scientist (both of them btw have been my roommates ;) ). Building on parallax-audio we want to develop a professional music software business that will be all about creating an ideal music creation environment, where you focus on nothing but the music itself. In a nutshell, we want to build the tools that Alex and I would love to use for writing our own music.

What is this new software ‘VSS 3 is going to be integrated in’?

We don’t want to give away too much at the moment, because the project is still in its initial stage. But we’ll keep you up to date as the development progresses. The customer survey was so insightful and you shared so many amazing ideas that we would love to build a steady feedback loop with you guys. When we have settled all the basics I will send you an email where those of you who are interested can subscribe as alpha testers and advisors.

What about VSS 2.0?

Before the new project will overwhelm me with work I will be able to release an update of VSS 2.0 with some crucial features you have requested. The version is currently in the testing phase and I hope to release it within the next two months.

best regards,

Gabriel from parallax-audio
Sounds like they are stepping up, but for some reason not answering emails. I emailed Parallax Audio Oct 23 and Nov 12 (2018) and have not heard back but will update this thread if and when I do.

Last edited:
Sounds like they are stepping up, but for some reason not answering emails. I emailed Parallax Audio Oct 23 and Nov 12 (2018) and have not heard back but will update this thread if and when I do.
That is odd. Gabriel would usually get back to me via email. PM me and I'll make sure you have his email address.
GC

Hey all, reviving an old thread. I needed to rebuild my PC and I didn't realize the keyfile for VSS2 wasn't stored locally and the original e-mail link is no longer valid. I e-mailed support but after seeing this thread I'm not sure how quickly I'll receive a response. I have the original hard drive with the old install to see if I can find how the keyfile is applied (registry key, file) but can't find it anywhere. Thoughts appreciated.

Hey all, reviving an old thread. I needed to rebuild my PC and I didn't realize the keyfile for VSS2 wasn't stored locally and the original e-mail link is no longer valid. I e-mailed support but after seeing this thread I'm not sure how quickly I'll receive a response. I have the original hard drive with the old install to see if I can find how the keyfile is applied (registry key, file) but can't find it anywhere. Thoughts appreciated.
I have the light version, and it is a simple, locally stored keyfile with the extention: .keyfile. Mine file says" Vss2Keyfile_LITE_[my name].keyfile.

A search of your original hard drive should reveal it, I would think.

I have the light version, and it is a simple, locally stored keyfile with the extention: .keyfile. Mine file says" Vss2Keyfile_LITE_[my name].keyfile.

A search of your original hard drive should reveal it, I would think.

I thought that would have been the case but in the confusion I must have installed the keyfile in a location that might have gotten lost. I have my original library and all the samples from my previous setup but I just cannot find the file. Ugh, I have restored 99% of my system but this this is critical to something I was working on, it's always one thing.

I thought that would have been the case but in the confusion I must have installed the keyfile in a location that might have gotten lost. I have my original library and all the samples from my previous setup but I just cannot find the file. Ugh, I have restored 99% of my system but this this is critical to something I was working on, it's always one thing.
Please let us know if the developer does respond to your inquiry. His FAQ page says that lost keys can be replaced by emailing him -- addressing your issue explicitly. And it looks like the website has been updated (or even redesigned) recently, so he ought to be paying attention.

@Daisser 's situation shows why it is so important to buy from developers you are pretty sure you can rely on to be there when you need help.

I got a reply within a week roughly (last year), which i think is fine given it was only Gabriel at the time. Received an email similar to goalie so imagine they are deep in development at the moment for whatever VSS3 might be. Looking forward to it.

Vss2Keyfile_PRO_first name all lowercase_surname all lower case.keyfile

I hope to hear from him. It's the holiday season so I'm sure on top of normal work he may be spending time with family. His original e-mail noted I should keep the key carefully stored and I somehow missed it in my transfer, so I don't blame the dev on that part. It's a great piece of software and I use it exclusively with some instruments and I can't wait to get back to working!

On a bit of a tangent - building a DAW system isn't hard but the licensing is unreal. I work on financial trading systems that manage billions and outside of Bloomberg they don't even come close to the annoyance of it as with samples. I get why it's done, the software is a lifeline for some of these developers, but is piracy of this niche area so rampant, the software needs to be protected as such?

Last edited:
building a DAW system isn't hard but the licensing is unreal
To pursue the tangent for just a second, this is what prevents me from upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I don't see how I would get through it all.

Last edited:
Hi all. I'm curious if anyone has a different contact then that's on the site for VSS2. I emailed again and it's after the new year but still no response. Maybe there's another email the developer checks more frequently.

To pursue the tangent for just a second, this is what prevents me from upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I don't see how I would get through it all.
I had a similar situation but in 2018. My main DAW crashed and I had to move to a Windows 10 machine. I just emailed and got an answer in about 3 days.

I noticed that a lot of people here said they got a response but it seems that was in 2018, over a year ago year ago. It's been almost two weeks and unfortunately I might have to move on from the product or get creative in how I solve this.

Top Bottom