What's new

Has anyone figured out a way to create new patterns for Picked Guitarist (Native Instruments)?

CatComposer

I just bought the NI Session Guitarist Picked Acoustic VST and it's very nice.
However, there is a fairly limited number of useful patterns.
I went through the whole bank and found only three that I could possibly use in my song.
It would be nice to have more variations to add to a song.

I cannot find any way to construct my own patterns (only shortening existing ones).
And I cannot see any additional pattern packs for sale.

Also, it doesn't seem that the program uses Midi files for the pattern guitar. (except a single note that triggers the patterns)

Has anyone figured out a way to create new patterns?
Looking at the data files, the file type seem to be .Nka or .Nksn which are NI Kontakt files.
I'm not sure if you could create those yourself.

Of course you can create patterns in the Melody guitar with midi, but for some reason it doesn't sound as good and note transitions are not as realistic.
I'm interested in making new patterns for the pattern guitar (Picked Acoustic) only, not the Melody guitar.

I have scoured the manual, walkthrough videos, Google, and tried to get customer service from NI, all to no avail.

It's a pity there isn't a way to get more variety in the patterns, as they sound so good.
And yes, I have tried every voicing too...

You have to work within the limitations of the pre-programmed patterns. David Cuny's post is very helpful there.

It's really tough to get great guitar strumming from samples libraries (IMO). The NI Session Guitars sound so good that it's worth it to work around their limitation... if you can. Sometimes it's not possible.

My dream would be to have some libraries that sound as good as the Session Guitarists, but be full programable.

Per the developers, you can do two things:

1. Shift the offsets of existing patterns
2. Combine patterns

Yep, it seems unnecessarily limited.

I tried shifting offsets, but that caused the wrong beats to be stressed, or just sounded terrible.
And yes, I am combining the three patterns that have the same feel, but after a while it sounds repetitive, which is why I'm looking for a way to get more patterns.

You have to work within the limitations of the pre-programmed patterns. David Cuny's post is very helpful there.

It's really tough to get great guitar strumming from samples libraries (IMO). The NI Session Guitars sound so good that it's worth it to work around their limitation... if you can. Sometimes it's not possible.

My dream would be to have some libraries that sound as good as the Session Guitarists, but be full programable.
I'm only trying to get picking patterns, not strumming, but I suppose I would have the same issues if I bought the Strumming guitar version.

If it was possible to get the Wav files used to make the VST, and cut them into smaller pieces, you could then rearrange them into many more interesting patterns.

And yes, ideally have a VST that was fully programmable and sounded just as nice!

I'm only trying to get picking patterns, not strumming, but I suppose I would have the same issues if I bought the Strumming guitar version.

If it was possible to get the Wav files used to make the VST, and cut them into smaller pieces, you could then rearrange them into many more interesting patterns.

And yes, ideally have a VST that was fully programmable and sounded just as nice!
Sorry! My bad. That's what happens when I don't read properly.

Picked Acoustic should come with the Melody version that allows you to program your own picking patterns in your DAW's piano roll. Although, that may not have been the intended purpose. It may have been more for single note melodies. And I fully acknowledge that those don't sound the same as the pre-programmed patterns.

If you really want to program picking patterns, I would suggest the Orange Tree or Ample guitar libraries. Both fully programmable and very good libraries.

ideally have a VST that was fully programmable and sounded just as nice.
Fully programmable might be incompatible with sounding as good as Picked Acoustic, at least given the current state of the art in VIs. I agree with @Tim_Wells:

If you really want to program picking patterns, I would suggest the Orange Tree or Ample guitar libraries. Both fully programmable and very good libraries.
at least with regard to Orange Tree. I'm not familiar with the Ample Sound instruments.

I guess you could get to the Wav files by recording the patterns in your DAW and then rendering the audio ? Then you can chop it around as much as you like.

Sorry! My bad. That's what happens when I don't read properly.

Picked Acoustic should come with the Melody version that allows you to program your own picking patterns in your DAW's piano roll. Although, that may not have been the intended purpose. It may have been more for single note melodies. And I fully acknowledge that those don't sound the same as the pre-programmed patterns.

The Orange Tree Songwriter guitar is potentially helpful.
I might get that when I can afford it.
I have the Ample free guitar and the quality of sound is much inferior to NI guitar.
I think I will work with the suggestions below.

I guess you could get to the Wav files by recording the patterns in your DAW and then rendering the audio ? Then you can chop it around as much as you like.
This kind of brilliant suggestion is what I was hoping for when I posted this thread!
Thank you!

The Orange Tree Songwriter guitar is potentially helpful.
I might get that when I can afford it.
I have the Ample free guitar and the quality of sound is much inferior to NI guitar.
I think I will work with the suggestions below.
The challenge your going to have with slicing the acoustic finger patterns is early notes often (usually) ring beyond subsequent notes. I.e., the notes overlap. You can't split one note without affecting another.

Another option is to take it into Melodyne where you can change the rhythm and other things. But quite frankly, that's probably not going to sound good.

The part of the reason the NI guitars sound so good, is they have very natural and realistic guitar inflections recorded into the loops. It sounds like a real guitar player. It's possible to get close to that with a good sample library like Orange Tree or Ample. But it takes quite a bit of work, in my experience.

The challenge your going to have with slicing the acoustic finger patterns is early notes often (usually) ring beyond subsequent notes. I.e., the notes overlap. You can't split one note without affecting another.

Another option is to take it into Melodyne where you can change the rhythm and other things. But quite frankly, that's probably not going to sound good.

The part of the reason the NI guitars sound so good, is they have very natural and realistic guitar inflections recorded into the loops. It sounds like a real guitar player. It's possible to get close to that with a good sample library like Orange Tree or Ample. But it takes quite a bit of work, in my experience.
You were right.
I couldn't get it to sound smooth after cutting.
If I had Melodyne, it might be possible.
I tried Waves Tune and it sounded horrible.

I think I will learn how to get the best from the solo melody guitar, as it's still a better sounding instrument than any others I have heard.

@CatComposer, how's your experience with the Picked Acoustic after all this time? Have you managed to make it work with the melody instrument? I'm interested in this instrument so I'm researching its limits.

Top Bottom