What's new

Hans Zimmers "Secret" Sample Library With LSO

micah

Legend
A few days ago now I found two forums discussing a so called "secret" library that Hans Zimmer made over with the LSO over a decade ago. This intrigued me and I googled around for hours trying to find out more about this but couldn't find a single thing. From what I heard people seemed to be getting their hands on it but it looks like it's been completely erased from the internet. Does anyone know anything about this? I'm very curious as to how it sounded and if he still uses it to this day - which feels unlikely. If anyone had the privilege of using it back in the day and would like to add some information about it that would be really appreciated. Just to be clear so this doesn't get flagged, if anyone does have it please don't post it on the forum, I don't want the library (even though it would be quite interesting) I'm purely just trying to gain information on this, it makes me wonder, does every Hollywood composer have their own private samples? Thanks guys!

It ain't that secret. And yes he still uses it. If it got leaked to the internet I'm fairly sure it was illegal. Plus the library is reported to be mammoth in size now because he continues to add to it. So not too much of it probably did get leaked if any at all.

It's his own unique creation that only he could pull off. If you want a taste of it I'd look into Spitfire offerings. They are recorded in the same space that HZ used from what I heard.

It's his own unique creation that only he could pull off. If you want a taste of it I'd look into Spitfire offerings. They are recorded in the same space that HZ used from what I heard.
Yeah, I don't know if this is just my warped memory but I have always had the idea that Spitfire is kind of doing what Hans started doing in the early 00s and bringing it to the masses (well first they were very exclusive about it).

This was all discussed fairly recently, because the bespoke private library was brought up by someone who consistently wrote mister Zimmer’s first name as “Hanz”. Maybe read this?

Not sure which library you're referring to. Zimmer has created a bespoke library on at least two occasions. The first was a looong time ago, when AKAI samplers were still a thing, and Gigasampler was coming on the scene. He actually spoke quite a lot about that one in interviews, and it was well known that he had a deal with the orchestra, that the samples wouldn't end up in final products, and real musicians would always eventually be used.

He has spoken about the second library, but not nearly in so much detail - I wonder if that's because the same deal doesn't exist. After all there must be times when that becomes frustrating. I remember an interview in which he spoke about the string ostinatos for Dark Knight, and how it took hours of takes to get the real orchestra to play very simple patterns as tightly as his mock up. With that soundtrack having more or less spawned a genre of ostinato-based soundtracks perhaps he, and all his proteges, needed a library that could end up in the final product.

I really wish we had “sticky” posts on VI-C where we could refer people to who are posting questions that have been asked many times before. And a bot that autocorrects anyone spelling “Hans” as “Hanz”. Noone’s named Hanz, like ever. (No offense to the OP by the way).

does every Hollywood composer have their own private samples? Thanks guys!
They are likely to have created some of their own, but if you’re referring to a complete set of orchestral samples - no I don’t think this is the case. There are many examples of Hollywood composers using “the same” commercially available libraries as us mere mortals. Tom Holkenborg has shared many of the ones he’s used over the years on his YT channel, and there are other examples of composers who regularly share their templates.

Just read the other threads (links above).
I get what you're saying, but the reason I'm asking here is 'cause I noticed that the user who said there's no legato also made another comment about HZ's library that didn't match what Ed said about velocity layers, so I decided to just directly ask

I really wish we had “sticky” posts on VI-C where we could refer people to who are posting questions that have been asked many times before. And a bot that autocorrects anyone spelling “Hans” as “Hanz”. Noone’s named Hanz, like ever. (No offense to the OP by the way).
Lots of people are called Hanz, but they're all in films where the Americans beat up those nasty Sardovians.

Top Bottom