What's new

Hans Zimmer's DUNE

Oh so first tune in hz live concert was dune 2 theme actually :)

This Dune thing slowly become more massive than Star Wars, and the soundtrack finally is more appropriate!

Synth work is on another, new level, is there any info on which synth were used ? It sounds spectacular.

Last edited:
This is a question for the great @Rctec .......(both films' scores are masterclasses in making music match a world and story btw!). I noticed Synchron Stage Vienna lists Dune as being recorded there, was curious what was done in Vienna vs London vs Remote Control. Thanks and bravo!
Everyone is great in some way(s)...in the sum of things. But some are more great than others 🙃
But I am happy that we can still say "great" and not "late"... I also believe we should celebrate people's achievements while they are still alive :)... but what is always most interesting to me is "their story". And there is a story to the whole Dune 2 soundtrack creation, much like there was one for the first part. I think everyone here would be delighted to gain insight on the instrument-building, sound design, mixing (Alan+his twin), instrument mods and FX etc... there is a lot of nerding potential there. Technology. I hope HZ feels the same and can do more SOS interviews and behind the scenes! I also like to hear about other similar artists on the horizon who innovate with these things.

This Dune thing slowly become more massive than Star Wars, and the soundtrack finally is more appropriate!

Synth work is on another, new level, is there any info on which synth were used ? It sounds spectacular.

ZebraHZ obviously, apparently some of The LegendHZ, maybe some Dune 3 just because it’s in the name

ZebraHZ obviously, apparently some of The LegendHZ, maybe some Dune 3 just because it’s in the name
Something seems different - is it mixing, preamps, or different synths - but this is level up from all previous synth work soundwise - at least I hear it that way. Instant memorable sound
Can't wait to hear it in movie at big speakers.

Reactions: BMK

Not sure about “appropriate”, because typically these composers need to satisfy the needs and wants of the director. Temp tracks also were decisive in shaping the opinion of what was most suitable for the space opera nature of Star Wars. Also, they didn’t know whether it will be a success or not…

Something seems different - is it mixing, preamps, or different synths - but this is level up from all previous synth work soundwise - at least I hear it that way. Instant memorable sound
Can't wait to hear it in movie at big speakers.

That’s a fairly simple explanation, they had already developed the sound world of Dune with the first movie and Hans never stopped writing for it after the first film was done, so this score has literally been years in the making. Of course it’s going to sound a lot better, they took everything that was amazing about the first one and developed it even further!!

My first thought on reading this this was "tune in hertz? how many hertz?" o_O

Took me a second to realize you meant Hans Zimmer, not hertz. I thought maybe it was using something different than A=440..

That’s a fairly simple explanation, they had already developed the sound world of Dune with the first movie and Hans never stopped writing for it after the first film was done, so this score has literally been years in the making. Of course it’s going to sound a lot better, they took everything that was amazing about the first one and developed it even further!!
Yes, I understand everything you say, I just think that on top of that there are some new instruments developed in proces and / or some different mixing approaching, because dune 2 soundtrack is sooo advanced in musical colours that's it is insane ... I know hans work really really good :) but this is level up from anything before ... and I thought it wasn't possible !

Yes, I understand everything you say, I just think that on top of that there are some new instruments developed in proces and / or some different mixing approaching, because dune 2 soundtrack is sooo advanced in musical colours that's it is insane ... I know hans work really really good :) but this is level up from anything before ... and I thought it wasn't possible !

Check out the resonators Hans has been posting about on Facebook, very cool, that and the EaganMatrix, lots of new stuff was used

Check out the resonators Hans has been posting about on Facebook, very cool, that and the EaganMatrix, lots of new stuff was used
Oh unfortunately I don't have social media - perhaps you can tell more about it ?

Oh unfortunately I don't have social media - perhaps you can tell more about it ?
I don’t even know how to explain the resonators honestly, take a look at the website and you’ll see what I mean, also look up the EaganMatrix since they were used together

Dune 2 is out today here in my place, should I watch it in the theaters? Might watch it and also Kung Fu Panda 4 in theaters this March, so it's a Zimmer marathon! :grin:

Hans' score is absolutely massive and I think I like it even better than the first one! Congrats on the release @Rctec, seems like you had a lot of fun on this one!

I don’t even know how to explain the resonators honestly, take a look at the website and you’ll see what I mean, also look up the EaganMatrix since they were used together

Oh great , I know what resonator is, this is some advanced stuff... really really great info, thanks

Top Bottom