What's new

Hans Zimmer Percussion

Basically you get the HZ set of Mics (Close, Room, Surround). This is from the Producer Presets section and gives you ability to mix the Mics, but these Mics are that particular producer's submix of probably a greater array of Mics, plus their processing of these.
Thanks for replying. You say "probably" though. Why is this so murky? I still don't get what is in the product FFS (not addressed at you, just general OMG)

I was about to pull the trigger on HZ01 last week but waited. Even after this news I still think grabbing HZ01 with the Junkie XL mixes included will be my best bet.
Reading threads and seeing interviews, the Junkie XL are a more processed bigger sound whereas the Hans mixes are in fact a little more tame and realistic (whatever that means) Like FGBR said I would rather grab the pro edition but I'm happy to get HZ01 and upgrade to the pro version later.
Weirdly I've not really noticed people complaining about the mapping before but like most things in life, I'm probably looking in the wrong place.
Albion ONE's percussion. Lordy lord I wish they'd fix those phasing issues. Any chances Christian?

So...just to confirm, if I have HZ01 but not HZ03, I pay for the update, but if I buy HZ03, I'll get the update for free as I own both HZ01 + HZ03?

If so...I guess I'd better buy HZ03. Can anyone comment on how much different HZ03 is from HZ01? I use HZ01 a decent amount but I don't know if I'd get that much use out of HZ03 as I don't need soloist drums that much....

The only thing that bothers me about devs that release new old libraries are that I'm constantly second guessing that a newer version will be released soon - case in point for me is Spitfires Uist. I've put off purchasing that library for over a year now because I feel like Spitfire might release a reworked Albion collection of some sort, or at least an updated version of the older titles.

It might be that I have a case of OCD, but I hate having old redundant software on my system. It drove me nuts when the new versions of Arturias V titles didn't update and replace the ones from V4. :unsure:

I've read both threads, watch the HZp vids and read the web pages but still don't understand the mixes. Do the mixes include hidden features/processing that is not accessible by the user? How exactly is the basic HZp crippled so that you can't recreate the "mixes" in HZpp - is it just missing mics? Are the mixes just snapshots of the mix parameters on the GUI and mic choices or something else?

I don't think you understand how these things are recorded. It's not 3 sets of stereo pairs - there were probably several dozen microphones up of all different types. Also we know that they used two sets of pre-amps, two sets of converters and two separate ProTools rigs. Post-recording you will end up with maybe a hundred tracks or more.

These will be stemmed down by the project engineer into logical groups and then Hans, Tom etc will get to provide their input to mix down those 20 or so stems to their preferred close, mid and far mixes with whatever eq and compression they deem appropriate.

The mixes all have a different sound, dynamic range and level of ambience so you can see that it would indeed be impossible to 'convert' one mix to another. This is not done to cynically "cripple" anything - it is the nature of sound production at this very elevated level.

So...just to confirm, if I have HZ01 but not HZ03, I pay for the update, but if I buy HZ03, I'll get the update for free as I own both HZ01 + HZ03?

If so...I guess I'd better buy HZ03. Can anyone comment on how much different HZ03 is from HZ01? I use HZ01 a decent amount but I don't know if I'd get that much use out of HZ03 as I don't need soloist drums that much....

Buying HZ03 will cost you more than the upgrade from HZ Perc to HZ Perc Pro so that's probably not a very sensible thing to do unless you need HZ03 today.

Buying HZ03 will cost you more than the upgrade from HZ Perc to HZ Perc Pro so that's probably not a very sensible thing to do unless you need HZ03 today.

So wait until HZ Perc Pro is released to get HZ03 and all the new content for cheaper than HZ03 costs now?

So wait until HZ Perc Pro is released to get HZ03 and all the new content for cheaper than HZ03 costs now?
You need to read through the two forum threads and the FAQ's on Spitfire's site.

I have HZ1......i Thing thats enough. I´m a big fan of Spitfire Audio.....but now its getting to complicated to me. I am only a Composer but this is Spitfire rocket science. I´m out.

They are essentially an orchestral sample library company who by this point has already sampled the orchestra multiple times, in multiple ways.

Despite the fact that you've received a reply from SF themselves!, I can't help feeling you made a key point here.

I see three things going on with SF - first they continue to do cool, ambitious, risky projects like Phobos and Sacconi that may/may not pay off. Second they continue to do more Albions and EVOs which I bet are a lot closer to a sure hit. And finally this "rationalization" (and because this is the Sample forum I'll give some unvarnished opinion here) I think they are doing this, as is 8Dio, because they are facing off vs new developers whose libraries are already "rationalized" in that they take considerable lessons learned from what worked and didn't work in EastWest Hollywood Series and Spitfire British Modular Library. Necessarily there's a limit to how much you can update a product to compete with a successor (Musical Sampling, Berlin Series, Cinematic Studio etc.) that took your product as its point of departure in design.

Now, these successor products, not to flatter them too much, seem to be reaching up to the limit of what orchestral samples can do. At least the way I see it, the ceiling is no longer RAM or whatever. It's that the more broadly and deeply you sample, the more you risk having samples that don't cohere. Seen in that light the Hollywood Series is kind of amazing in how well different articulations kind of work together. Of course the developers that followed really nailed that idea and retrospectively exposed how flawed the first attempt was. Anyway the breadth and depth of sampling is getting astonishing and the musicians holding it all together with one vibe and one musicality is starting to feel like the limiting factor. Libs like Berlin Brass show that even with really good methodology (I assume) getting 11 sampling sessions to blend without being able to hear each other is one hell of a challenge. So, really, what's left to do?

Last edited:

So if HZ03 is $199 today, and my cross grade as an HZ01 owner is $106, it seems remarkable that the upgrade from HZ Perc to HZ Perc Pro will be less than $93. Can someone from SpitfireAudio confirm this?

So if HZ03 is $199 today, and my cross grade as an HZ01 owner is $106, it seems remarkable that the upgrade from HZ Perc to HZ Perc Pro will be less than $93. Can someone from SpitfireAudio confirm this?
They already replied to me to this question on the other thread. They answered me that the best bet financially would be to get HZ Perc, then HZ Perc Pro instead of HZ03.

They already replied to me to this question on the other thread. They answered me that the best bet financially would be to get HZ Perc, then HZ Perc Pro instead of HZ03.
Thanks. I think I saw that, but was hoping for numbers to base my decision on. Of course I realize they have no obligation to tell me. :)

So I did a little speculative arithmetic. The expansions for SSB and SCS are 65% of the base product. I also noticed the cross grade price for HZ03 is $200 instead of 100. Using the non-promo price of $400, I get about $85 for the HZPP upgrade from HZ01 & HZP

Thanks. I think I saw that, but was hoping for numbers to base my decision on. Of course I realize they have no obligation to tell me. :)

There are indeed keyswitches to change drums. However I find that a bit clunky as its very difficult in realtime to play combinations of drums and certainly not at the same time.
Hmm, well I'm unable to switch between [for example] Taiko and Taiko Ensemble with the KS so no idea here. Thanks for help. Apologies to others.

Hmm, well I'm unable to switch between [for example] Taiko and Taiko Ensemble with the KS so no idea here. Thanks for help. Apologies to others.

Well what is very confusing in the GUI is what look like KS are in fact RR resets. The KS are the keys starting at C1. But they are a bit nonsensical if you are writing a rhythm using more than one Taiko type.

Despite the fact that you've received a reply from SF themselves!, I can't help feeling you made a key point here.

I see three things going on with SF - first they continue to do cool, ambitious, risky projects like Phobos and Sacconi that may/may not pay off. Second they continue to do more Albions and EVOs which I bet are a lot closer to a sure hit. And finally this "rationalization" (and because this is the Sample forum I'll give some unvarnished opinion here) I think they are doing this, as is 8Dio, because they are facing off vs new developers whose libraries are already "rationalized" in that they take considerable lessons learned from what worked and didn't work in EastWest Hollywood Series and Spitfire British Modular Library. Necessarily there's a limit to how much you can update a product to compete with a successor (Musical Sampling, Berlin Series, Cinematic Studio etc.) that took your product as its point of departure in design.

Now, these successor products, not to flatter them too much, seem to be reaching up to the limit of what orchestral samples can do. At least the way I see it, the ceiling is no longer RAM or whatever. It's that the more broadly and deeply you sample, the more you risk having samples that don't cohere. Seen in that light the Hollywood Series is kind of amazing in how well different articulations kind of work together. Of course the developers that followed really nailed that idea and retrospectively exposed how flawed the first attempt was. Anyway the breadth and depth of sampling is getting astonishing and the musicians holding it all together with one vibe and one musicality is starting to feel like the limiting factor. Libs like Berlin Brass show that even with really good methodology (I assume) getting 11 sampling sessions to blend without being able to hear each other is one hell of a challenge. So, really, what's left to do?
What's left to do??!!

There are still thousands more sounds an orchestral instrument can make than its sampled equivalent. Sample libraries are essentially still just glorified romplers invented by synth players for synth players. Push buttons one at a time and get sounds one at a time. Orchestral musicians play phrases of infinite subtlety. Sampling by itself might soon hit a limit, but new technologies will take VIs much much further yet. I don't know if spitfire will be the company to do it or not, but soon enough someone will.

Top Bottom