What's new

Guitar recording level and gain staging

DSKcomposer

Hopeful
(Mods please move if this is the wrong sub-forum)

I have been reading so much information on this I thought I would post here and see if I could find a consensus

Here is my signal chain:

Guitar>Apogee Symphony Desktop>Logic Pro>Amplitube 5

I have the following questions:

1. When I plug my guitar into the HI-Z input on the Apogee, should I set my Apogee so that the guitar does not hit above -18dBFS on the Apogee Control meter?

2. If I am wrong (likely) about setting the gain in Apogee, what level should I aim for in Apogee Control?

3. Once I have the proper level in Apogee Control, how would I then ensure the proper level in Logic before inserting Amplitube on the track?

I realize these are newbie questions so I do appreciate any advice you could give me - thank you.

Good rule of thumb is to have the gain high enough that your highest dynamics (when you’re really slamming the strings) peaks out in the yellow (-6 dB). This should keep your standard dynamics around -12 to -18 dB, which is typically the sweet spot for any analog emulation effects you may be running.

Good rule of thumb is to have the gain high enough that your highest dynamics (when you’re really slamming the strings) peaks out in the yellow (-6 dB). This should keep your standard dynamics around -12 to -18 dB, which is typically the sweet spot for any analog emulation effects you may be running.
OK - I understand that but where I am losing focus is actually setting those levels, meaning

The Apogee interface has the Apogee Control app where I set the gain -- am I trying to get to -6dB in the Apogee Control app? or, is that in Logic? pre-fader? This is where I am confused.

The -12 to -18 mentioned is a good range (peaks at -18 is unnecessarily low) and you should hit the first stage of your chain with this level, meaning your Apogee.
Technically if all your faders and gain knobs in Logic are set to +0 (unity gain) you should have the same levels in every meter.

I took a screen recording (no sound) of the Apogee Control App and Logic Pro with my guitar connected as follows:

Guitar-->Rupert Neve DI-->Apogee Symphony Desktop-->Logic Pro

You can see I am peaking at -9dB (pre-fader)

Based on this, do you think I need to lower the Apogee gain so that I am closer to -18dB?

Thank you

ChRUrX9.mp4

Misha talks about this towards the beginning of this video, this has been my approach ever since, I always trust Misha

just to revive this topic; i have a similar question

when i plug in my fender american vintage II in my UAD solo interface (Hi z input); i peak at -25
what to do?
- should I raise the gain on my interface (uad console) to get to atleast -18db?
- or just raise the input level slider on my guitar vst (neural dsp)
- will a DI box help for this?

just to revive this topic; i have a similar question

when i plug in my fender american vintage II in my UAD solo interface (Hi z input); i peak at -25
what to do?
- should I raise the gain on my interface (uad console) to get to atleast -18db?
- or just raise the input level slider on my guitar vst (neural dsp)
- will a DI box help for this?

Play your guitar as hard as you can (and do some palm mutes) and make sure the volume is just below where the interface starts to clip, then you’re all set

There is a school of thought that is gaining some traction that basically says that if you’re plugging a guitar directly into an interface that has dedicated Hi-Z inputs, that you should set the physical gain knob on the interface full counterclockwise, and control gain within your DAW and/or whatever plugin you’re using.

I have been experimenting with this approach quite a bit lately using a UAD Apollo, and have been pleased with the results. This method makes it much easier to avoid clipping on the way in.

I believe Amplitube is calibrated to see around -12dbfs, but use your ears. If it sounds bad (too distorted, bottom heavy, muffled), the solution is usually to turn the input down (and compensate by turning the output up on the plugin).

But many interfaces are about -12dbfs when turned down to zero - so try start with turning the input gain on your interface all the way down, as this should be about what Amplitube expect to see - and see how it sounds with your guitars (corresponding with the advice in this video).

Last edited:
In the digital realm higher gain means better resolution.

Usually, you would aim at around -3dB for peaks, (or -6dB if you want to be on the safe side).

To put things in relation:

A file that peaks at -18dB has an effective bit size of 21bits.
That means that you simply give away 3 of your 24 bits (if you record at 24bit)
It has no advantage at all.
On the other hand, the dynamic resolution our ear can handle is about 120 dB (= 20bits), so it's neither a drama.
But a better resolution means having a better source material for further processing in your DAW,
that's the reason why a better dynamic range is desirable.

A common misconception is that the nominal resolution of the recorded file has something to do with how hard certain plugins that emulate hardware should be hit.

That makes no sense.

If your plugin "wants" -18dB and your recording peaks at -3dB, just meake it -15 dB softer in the DAW before it hits the plugin.

The DAW operates with a higher resolution (usually either -32bit or -64bit floating) and therefore preserves the better quality.

The only question is how your preamp deals with higher inputs.
Most preamps have a sweet spot where they deliver the best sound.
If you get higher, the sound worsens.

Top Bottom