What's new

Google Is Ordered To Identify Who Watched Certain YouTube Videos

I remember back in high school in 1984 when we laughed at Orwell because he was so wrong (probably mostly on our minds because everyone was listening to Van Halen's 1984). We never could have guessed how prophetic that man writing in 1948 was, and I shudder to think how dismissive we were. Terminator is next.

This is similar in spirit to law enforcement gathering info on which books an individual chrcked out of the library. Didn't they do that? They can also subpoena phone records. Don't know about text messages, but don't see why not, given everything else they have access to.

They've always had access to browsing records thru ISPs, so the YT request is basically a more narrowly scoped version of that.

There really can't be any real expectations of privacy on the web. Even if you use a VPN, a record of activity exists somewhere, albeit encrypted, but all encryption has keys, and we don't really know for certain who has access to those keys.

Good luck with that. YouTube wasn’t founded until 2005. :)
Seems like an copying mistake as in the Forbes article this is the text:

"The court orders show the government telling Google to provide the names, addresses, telephone numbers and user activity for all Google account users who accessed the YouTube videos between January 1 and January 8, 2023."

What’s highly concerning is the tech that can be implemented into cameras, where AI understands, not just what it’s looking at, but also describes what it’s seeing… governments will likely pass laws allowing them to be privy to 3rd parties using this tech so they can access it.

Ultimately, If you take a shit in the woods and decided to look at your phone, AI will not only know if you need more fibre in your diet, but it’ll notify 3rd parties to send product recommendations while simultaneously informing the government of your whereabouts, what you are doing, which hand you wiped your ass with…

Humanity is far worse in its behavior when it's not being monitored by someone.

I went to school with a bunch libertarian types. But mankind can't be left to its own devices. Just like a nuclear power plant or that alligator you found in the bathtub.

US federal law enforcement and courts have gone a step further in the extreme efforts they are making to surveil people’s activities online, including on Google’s vast platforms.

The latest is that the tech giant gets orders to identify all people who happen to be watching certain videos or livestreams on YouTube.

After directly censoring creators and channels, giving geolocation data of its users to the authorities in response to the controversial geofencing warrants, this is a new example of how Google can be used and abused in dragnet-style “investigations.”

Unmasking everyone who watched a particular video is similar to geofencing in that it makes everyone a suspect – and this, a number of experts and rights groups believe, is unconstitutional, i.e., in violation of the 4th Amendment, that protects from unreasonable searches.

Forbes writes that it has had access to several orders that name certain YouTube videos, citing one unsealed case originating in Kentucky and having to do with people viewing content posted by a user who law enforcement suspects of money laundering for selling bitcoin for cash.

Undercover agents had contacted the user, sending links to drone mapping and AR tutorials, to next turn to Google, asking to be told who watched the videos.

The videos had more than 30,000 views, and a court ordered that any user who did, between January 1 and 8, 2003, must be thoroughly unmasked.

The order wanted names, addresses, phone numbers, and account activity of each Google user, and IP addresses of everyone who watched the videos without an account.

“It’s fair to expect that law enforcement won’t have access to that (sensitive personal) information without probable cause,” commented Electronic Privacy Information Center’s John Davisson. “This order turns that assumption on its head.”

When the police asked for the order to be issued, they stated, “There is reason to believe that these records would be relevant and material to an ongoing criminal investigation.”

Although Google complied with the demand to keep silent about all this until the records were unsealed last week, according to Forbes, they “do not show whether or not Google provided data in the case.”

A separate case in New Hampshire concerned a bomb threat in a public place, and people watching a livestream of the police searching the area. The livestream was possible thanks to a camera on nearby business premises.

Next, the police wanted to know exactly who watched it, including on a YouTube channel belonging to Boston and Maine Live, which has 130,000 subscribers.

Again, no word if Google delivered.

For about 5+ years or so, personally, Ive been selecting vids on YouTube so they cant profile the user. Not that it would be a big deal, but it's intimidating. Bet they have quite a fu-king issue to profile someone, when there is vid on how setting up a banana seller business in Adis Abeba, then latest compression plugin, then barrio in Pakistan, then language studies, then dog vids, then ... well, whatnot. Sometimes I click odd vid just to confuse the system. Could be a cat and a duck fighting. Same with google searches. Its too obvious its all used for control and that one aim is to create a profile. Try to create a profile of that boys. Deal with it. :D

For about 5+ years or so, personally, Ive been selecting vids on YouTube so they cant profile the user. Not that it would be a big deal, but it's intimidating. Bet they have quite a fu-king issue to profile someone, when there is vid on how setting up a banana seller business in Adis Abeba, then latest compression plugin, then barrio in Pakistan, then language studies, then dog vids, then ... well, whatnot. Sometimes I click odd vid just to confuse the system. Could be a cat and a duck fighting. Same with google searches. Its too obvious its all used for control and that one aim is to create a profile. Try to create a profile of that boys. Deal with it. :D
But now they know!! Expect three knocks on your front door any moment (Am-ster-dam :) )

They are gonna be really disappointed with me. I've been watching performances of Sibelius symphonies lately. Sometimes I watch old reruns of Bob Newhart and WKRP when I'm winding down in bed. Maybe tonight I will search for "How to join a Satan-worshipping communist cult" for the hell of it.
I’m a founding member of the SWCC. I can send over pamphlets and our manifesto if you’d like. Tuesday is taco night at the club and would be a great time to meet the group. Hope to see you there!

Newsflash: If you're online, you're being monitored.
These days if you are offline and even if you leave your personal tracking device (aka your smartphone) at home, you’re still likely being monitored and surveilled almost anywhere you go. (Take a moment to see how many cameras you can find when you are out in public.) Then too you may not even know when devices like your car are calling home and of course camera license readers are now ubiquitous as are things like toll tags.

Sometimes these events don't seem like a huge thing, but we should all worry about freedom and liberty (it seems crazy typing that!). Yes it's a bit of an invasion - but it's for a good cause, generally... isn't it? They will catch some bad people this way, no doubt - you're not against that are you?

Investigators should be empowered to some reasonable (and there's the rub) degree to hunt for bad people. All good. You've nothing to fear if you've nothing to hide - right?

But then, in the back of my mind, I worry we are building (or not preventing others from building) the foundation of the mechanism that will ultimately be used to enslave humankind. Now bear with me - that seems a bit extreme but futurologists even have a name for this scenario, it's that possible: world in chains.

Anyways - here's a link to an article I havent read yet, but came up when I searched for 'world in chains' and looks relevent 😂

Last edited:
the foundation of the mechanism that will ultimately be used to enslave humankind
From the perspective of the 0.1% this has already happened. They have full financial control of humanity.

Most of the wealth generated in the past decade has gone to them and they are slowly removing the assets from the rest of us.

1711567809077.png

1711567907641.png

There's quite a serious book called Capital by the French economist Thomas Piketty which discusses all this. Inequality is growing and this is creating a new elite that will perpetuate its power generation after generation.

The book is quite thick... but there's a great documentary based on these ideas.

From the perspective of the 0.1% this has already happened. They have full financial control of humanity.
Oh no!

I wasn't going to go down this particularly dark rabbit hole, but yeah - you nailed it. That's my real concern. Well, worse actually. What happens when they don't need us?

For a long, long time, the top 1%, the top 0.1%, and so on up... have needed a huge mass of people below them, largely hidden, all working away, suffering, toiling to make those billionaire's lives possible. That's the pyramid. Think of all of the many people all over the world who make your life and wealth a possibility... now multiply that by 1,000, 10,000, 1,000,000 and so on.

To be a little bit rich, you need a bunch of people to be poorer than you. To be very, very rich you need a huge number of people to be poorer that you. Millions, maybe. But you still need them.

Now imagine what happens when automation, AI, robotics, etc kicks in. The people at the very top may start to not need some parts of the pyramid.

Suddenly, large swathes of humankind start to become expendable. Now think about things purely in terms of ecology alone. You are a billionaire, living on a luxury island... and there are all those people creating all that mess... how bad that is for the poor planet! Would it be such a bad thing to... well... get rid of them?

😲

What scares me most? I look at myself. I'm quite high on the pyramid. Got the running water hot and cold, flushing toilets, eating meat and dairy on the regular. What am I doing to stop people dying in 2nd and 3rd world? F**k all.

Honestly, if I was a billionaire, I'd be looking to protect my lifestyle...

Sorry guys - let me get back to scouring the Spitfire site - there must be something I need!

Last edited:
Seems like an copying mistake as in the Forbes article this is the text:

"The court orders show the government telling Google to provide the names, addresses, telephone numbers and user activity for all Google account users who accessed the YouTube videos between January 1 and January 8, 2023."

Thx Jaap. They apparently corrected the error. I just copied and pasted the original txt.

Top Bottom