What's new

Good Reverb plugins £50 or under?

It is not anywhere near my favourite Reverb plugin, but many swear by it... and indeed for me it is the best bang for the buck.
Valhalla Vintage Verb

Soundtoys SuperPlate is on sale now and it is indeed my favourite plate, but well, its just Plates :)

rsp

Last edited:
In that price range: Valhalla DSP. The one @zvenx mentions is great, and so is Rooms. And these are actually really good and not some “second tier” contenders just because they’re reasonably priced.

You could also try and get something like Izotope Neoverb, which is often on sale and can usually be bought from a forum member “second hand” very cheap, or Eventide Black Hole, which I think is on sale for $49 over at Plugin Boutique.

Depending on use case, you could also consider spending just a tad more (relatively speaking) and get something very good and useful, called Berlin Studio by Samplicity.

Some great suggestions already………
Although it’s a bit more than $50,another wonderful sounding reverb: Seventh Heaven from Liquidsonics is great ($69)and during sales like BF it sells for $49. It utilizes Bricasti IR’s and really sounds magnificent!

Another vote for Valhalla Room here. I'm using it on everything. Valhalla is an algorithmic reverb, so if you want a convolution option, check out LiquidSonics Seventh Heaven. I'll be getting that when I can, too - because it's nice to have both algorithmic and convolution options if you can.

Having said that, algorithmic reverbs are generally more flexible and configurable, so I would go for Valhalla Room as a starting reverb.

I should have asked before making a recommendation. How are you going to use this? What kind of setting do you want to create with reverb?

Whilst I don't actually own them (I have Nimbus and R4, their predecesors), Stratus and Symphony should be on your watchlist. They've been available for £35ish on sale, and are superb for chambers, halls and plates, and you can get a more soundesign oriented flavour using the Warp section (though I believe that has been somewhat stripped down in Stratus and Symphony).
Stratus is the one if real spaces is what you're after, Symphony if a more digital, 80's vibe suits your needs.
Baby Audio Crystal is a really nice, smooth synthetic reverb, which is really flexible in terms of what it works with, whereas United Plugins Hyperspace is one I'd never use on an acoustic source, but is fantastic for synths. Eventide Blackhole is frequently available for $29, and remains among the best massively expansive reverbs.
All the Melda reverbs are superb, MReverbMB and MConvolutionMB are £42 full price, and you can try the free MConvolutionEZ and MCharmverb to see if the sound works for you.
Finally, I'm a big fan of Space Duck from 2Gether Audio, a combined reverb/delay that does dark and gritty beautifully, and has a wealth of options including granular and formant options that give flavours I've not found elsewhere.

Whilst I don't actually own them (I have Nimbus and R4, their predecesors), Stratus and Symphony should be on your watchlist. They've been available for £35ish on sale, and are superb for chambers, halls and plates, and you can get a more soundesign oriented flavour using the Warp section (though I believe that has been somewhat stripped down in Stratus and Symphony).
Stratus is the one if real spaces is what you're after, Symphony if a more digital, 80's vibe suits your needs.
You will find people selling the bundle of Stratus and Symphony together for £50 or less.
These are the 3D editions which take you beyond stereo.
That's one of the better deals if you require surround sound.

You will find people selling the bundle of Stratus and Symphony together for £50 or less.
These are the 3D editions which take you beyond stereo.
That's one of the better deals if you require surround sound.
That is a bargain! Unfortunately, even if I resurrected my ALP 5's, I'd still need another 1.1 speakers, a surround compatible soundcard and space to put them all in, which isn't happening any time soon!
Shame really, I enjoyed the surround mixing project I had to do at uni.

I would DEMO the ones mentioned to see if you love any of them.

For me, finding a reverb I genuinely loved took a lot more money than 50. Certainly some decent ones in that price range (VVV being #1). Everyone's ears are different, though, on what appeals. I wasted a LOT of money on reverbs if I think of it in terms of what I use vs what I spent, so try to think of it more on what I learned, instead.

Tip for VVV: start around 400hz for the low cut if using the control in the reverb because it's a 6db slope

I agree that it's personal and you should try out as many as you can, and/or get some recommendations directly from folks with whom you share a ton of musical taste.

For me, the answer is Valhalla VintageVerb without question, it's on just about everything I've done for the past dozen years and it's currently better than it's ever been thanks to some excellent new algorithms added by the developer (for free, no less).

I agree that it's personal and you should try out as many as you can, and/or get some recommendations directly from folks with whom you share a ton of musical taste.

For me, the answer is Valhalla VintageVerb without question, it's on just about everything I've done for the past dozen years and it's currently better than it's ever been thanks to some excellent new algorithms added by the developer (for free, no less).
I learned something new about VVV the other day from a musician (Michael Arthur Holloway), despite having had VVV for years: the low cut is a 6db slope, so it's a good idea to start it at around 400Hz and then work from there. I kept thinking the reverb was prone to building up low-mid "mud" but it's more a usability issue in that the 6db slope isn't noted/obvious, not a technical issue with the reverb itself.

This is assuming the cutting isn't being done externally in a send, etc.

Top Bottom