What's new

Give Spitfire a chance? Or not?... Samplecast review now LIVE

Impressive how the short posts in Hans Zimmer Strings topics are far more aggressive than the actual shorts in Hans Zimmer Strings library. What if we actually recorded a library based on angry composers shouting at each others and make nice Prodigy-fashioned music with it? :)

It's nonsense. What the hell, guys? Really, how it is possible to argue about the same library for a week already? It's just a pad library with some cool features. I have only one possible explanation: it's all about the name. Hans is a really great composer, but with all your attention he really becomes a god. Are you crazy?

Jesus there is a lot to unpack here. Lemme get some coffee and let's do this shit all over again. I'm surprised @Rctec we are talking about what Hans Zimmer means again because I already conceded that point like 2 threads and 40 pages ago, but if you want to get into that again I can. I don't want people thinking I'm saying something I'm not!

Actually fuck it. I'm gunna live stream my response. Why not, lets make this conversation more open.

-DJ
Oh god. No Dan, please....!

I think there is a generally fallacy almost all of us fall for: those in positions of authority or power are at the cutting edge or doing things which nobody has done or thought of before.

Here is an interesting article to read: https://www.theatlantic.com/magazin...uck-matters-more-than-you-might-think/476394/
You may not believe me, but I had the exact same idea behind SWARM and I discussed this with Lindon Parker, but instead of trying to do something like SWARM (because Spitfire had just released it), he came up with a crazy granular resynthesis engine for Seurat.
But because there are some people in power with recourses, time, money, and whathaveyou, they can capitalize on the ideas they have and reap the fruits thereof. This is just the way life is.
There are other great minds out there who are not discovered, whether it be because of their circumstances, death, mental illness, natural disaster, not knowing anyone.....and so on. So I think any sample library company should have a certain bit of humility (actually, a healthy dose) knowing that they have been incredibly lucky to grow up in the circumstances they have been in (or anyone with celebrity, fame, power, and whathaveyou). We are merely discovering things. We are stumbling upon things. If we think we had a novel idea or some "avent garde" idea, chances are someone else already had that idea, and in some cases long before you. I know maybe that's actually a bit demotivating? Like, oh, so I'm not so special after all? No, that's not what I mean. I mean that we are more similar than we think, and that the chances of having a novel idea amongst 7+ billion people is next to nothing.

I forgot where this was going.
Oh, that's right. I am getting sick of people saying things like "it must be good if Hans worked on it" or "Spitfire wouldn't have done this if they didn't think it would work well."
That's backwards. We need to look at the state of things as they are right now and judge whatever it is in that state.
If someone never struck out at the plate in 12 plate appearances (I hope you guys understand baseball?), does that mean that they will never stike out?
Simple facts:
Spitfire Released a buggy, flawed instrument.
That's about the only "fact" in this discussion.
All of the other stuff seems to be opinion, and it's been somewhat haughty and arrogent on both sides (at times).
But, really, why are there sides anyway?
Criticism should only help Spitfire improve more.
Spitfire should be graciously accepting critism (even if they privately don't agree with everything) and use whatever they know is the "legitimate" critism to improve their future products (and current ones with updates).
Alright. I think I need a break from this.

Last edited:
I'm surprised @Rctec we are talking about what Hans Zimmer means again because I already conceded that point like 2 threads and 40 pages ago
I was surprised too ... until I read this:
Paul and I where discussing exactly that today... and a few other ideas
It's interesting (and very disappointing) that HZ revived an argument after it had already been put to bed. One wonders if it had something to do with the later disagreement here on VI-C between DJ and PT....

I've lost a lot of respect for Spitfire at this point - particularly as they are obviously active participants on this forum but ignored numerous requests for a legato video demo prior to launch ... one also wonders why that was after the release revealed the legato was broken.

And no, I'm not a Spitfire hater - I've invested thousands with them and was planning to invest thousands more this year but I've been turned off by their combative responses to the point that I'm only looking at other devs now.

Is it a thing that, the larger a company gets, the less it cares about client relationship management?

SA fanboys feel free to flame me - I see you coming from a mile off, but bear in mind I was also a big SA fan until now....

May be a privilege of my old age, I almost never take decisions of that sort.
I like SA,I like the VI I bought from them.I like the way they handle their relationships with us - Henson's presence, vlog, freebies, advices, cribs... you name it ; even some online help or PMs.
Yes, I agree sometimes things go a bit hugly but I don't care that much. They are not my friends and I'm not theirs, so... And I tend to wait since bugs or flaws are sorted out, if ever,before I buy a library.
Especially since they are now practicing sales and that I don't have to rely on intro prices.
I would need more to loose respect to a company.
Cinesamples April Fools joke or tweets could be a deal breaker. But I'm not even sure.
Even EastWest has not really bothered despite debatle practices on their forum.

Below is exactly the type of review I would expect with a Spitfire release: A high quality, effective library that can be put to immediate and continuous use (even with a new player.) It's a simple, honest, measured review. I'm not indicting DJ, I'm saying this is what these guys have delivered over and over with very similar responses from users. The involvement of Hans Zimmer adds something that should also be expected which is an innovative and creative approach that offers new sonics and multiple ways to use and manipulate them (in a way that he prefers but also in a way that the user can personalize to taste - immediately, over time or both. That's called a bargain.) The HZ moniker far more suggests the unpredictable rather than the predictable which should put the user into a mode of discovering what's in the library rather than projecting onto it what they would like. If we all did that - we would all be disappointed. (Sorry for so many words in pointing to below.):
FWIW, I've been very happily using HZ strings on a TV series for the past 4 days or so. Not noticed many issues at all and certainly none that are show stoppers or have prevented me from working at full speed. So far I'm mightily impressed with the library: it has some absolutely stellar sounds and sublime textures; it seems extremely flexible (not quite as much bite low down in the celli and basses as the bespoke symphonic strings do), but then it has far more subtlety, warmth and weight where it really counts. As such it fits really nicely into my template and I'm looking forward to delving deeper into it as time progresses. The new software engine (they surely have to call it Merlin!) is seriously easy to use (love the resizing and patch selection). With sensible mic counts (as John G mentions above) it seems pretty light on resources - with all the Spitfire stuff I tend to use 'tree' and a little bit of 'close' if I need more focus, and maybe a touch of 'amb' too on shorts. With my game developer hat on for a moment, and knowing how software is developed, I'm really impressed they managed to get the new engine out of the gates and in such a good working state (remember PLAY anyone?).

£599 or whatever the price was is IMHO great value for what is going to be a mightily fine weapon in the palette in the years to come. Back in 2011, like a fair few chaps and chapesses, I paid a *hell* of a lot more for the Bespoke Strings and still use them every single day, so the ROI has been excellent. I don't doubt HZS will be similar in that regard...

Below is exactly the type of review I would expect with a Spitfire release: A high quality, effective library that can be put to immediate and continuous use (even with a new player.) It's a simple, honest, measured review. I'm not indicting DJ, I'm saying this is what these guys have delivered over and over with very similar responses from users. The involvement of Hans Zimmer adds something that should also be expected which is an innovative and creative approach that offers new sonics and multiple ways to use and manipulate them (in a way that he prefers but also in a way that the user can personalize to taste - immediately, over time or both. That's called a bargain.) The HZ moniker far more suggests the unpredictable rather than the predictable which should put the user into a mode of discovering what's in the library rather than projecting onto it what they would like. If we all did that - we would all be disappointed. (Sorry for so many words in pointing to below.):
The fact that Stephen, busy tv composer (bless him) had a 5 figure budget to buy Bespoke Strings makes his review non-indicative of what this library is worth to the average consumer.

It's nonsense. What the hell, guys? Really, how it is possible to argue about the same library for a week already? It's just a pad library with some cool features. I have only one possible explanation: it's all about the name. Hans is a really great composer, but with all your attention he really becomes a god. Are you crazy?

Absolutely. But it's all about money, free libraries, ego and sponsorship.

I know what that's like. I was once offered sponsorship from Anosul and Preperation H. But ego and pride got the better of me and I told them to stick it up their ass. Any bum can get a deal like that.

Absolutely. But it's all about money, free libraries, ego and sponsorship.

I know what that's like. I was once offered sponsorship from Anosul and Preperation H. But ego and pride got the better of me and I told them to stick it up their ass. Any bum can get a deal like that.
You joke, but until you’ve written music for products like Maalox, FiberCon and Baby Alive (a doll that actually defecated and urinated) you haven’t really lived-and I have really lived. My tombstone will be decorated with garlands of...well. You know.

You joke, but until you’ve written music for products like Maalox, FiberCon and Baby Alive (a doll that actually defecated and urinated) you haven’t really lived-and I have really lived. My tombstone will be decorated with garlands of...well. You know.

Boy oh boy, I thought I had a hard time when writing music for great titles like Ladies 888 Bingo and Piggies Payout, but you win :grin:

I was offered Piggies Payout. I just snorted and grunted in their general direction and told them it was way over my head.

Top Bottom