What's new

Getting feedback on a project that the strings should sound more real, advice? (examples included)

@OP what if you solo'd all the strings and sent it to them. They could identify what it might be?

I just sent a track to a Local Video company that makes Industrial Video's.The track they were trying was good they got it from a library that had the 4 chord syndrome.PNO,Strings 8th triplets,1 French Horn line 4 bars,
My track had Sound Design,Solo string,Solo French horn, Trumpet, French horn Harmony.Had a good ending Orchestral.The owner said it sounded MIDI which midi has no sound! Also the ending sounded like Encounters of the third kind.He didn't give me a chance to change anything and I don't think he let the client hear it.So that's my story of being turned down.I had 4 composers listen to it they said mine sounded more exciting than there's.But there not hiring me ! So yeah most people don't have a clue what there talking about.

It's not like I REALLY care what this music supervisor thinks, but I'm at least going to try and make him happy. I also find it hard to tell when someone is throwing out ideas because they really know what they're talking about, or because they really just want to feel like they have input and control (I'm not face to face with the guy, it's all remote work). Or maybe it's a case of champagne taste on a beer budget.

Anyway, I've spliced together some sections from a few of the pieces that are being used. To me they don't sound like a big string section recorded at Sony, but neither do they sound obviously fake. Maybe I'm wrong? I used CSS for these, which have fast become my favorite strings.

Any feedback would be stellar!!

I would use some string ostinatos to give it life.Other than that it sounds great.Look at my post at the end about my experience with a owner of a Video Company.

I think your overall feel with your string writing is great. Mix wise things are a little unbalanced to my ears though. The strings overall sound a bit buried in the mix (almost like you're a little timid with bringing them out more). I'd use more cc1 & expression too and maybe layer some smaller string sections overtop to bring out those melody lines more so it doesn't sound as paddy and static. I think that would add more realism! Hope that was helpful in any way?

Top Bottom