What's new

"Generative AI is the greatest risk to the human creative class that has ever existed"

The way Tom Waits works with musicians on his songs reminds me of using generative AI text prompts and likes/dislikes:

"He never suggest notes, he never suggests a part, he never sings a line, he never says what to play, but he is what I imagine an actor might experience when working with a great actor's director... he's very in your face, and you play something and he reacts, and his facial expression gets extreme, nah, yeah yeah yeah that's it, could you make it sound a little more poor, oh oh don't get on the Joni Mitchell train now, it's this constant patter and he never actually says what to play [except for the instrument] ... oh, my play my instrument ... he would ... I show up with the banjo, and he would say could you play my banjo ... and he has a 100-year-old banjo with 100-year-old strings"

... but there aren't any (that I'm aware off) that will let you give them textual (or facial) feedback like that yet....

Many people were assuming that a "Drake" song circulating on the internet was AI generated. I thought so too because the voice and the backing music sounded so bad---Drake's producer is generally very good.

Drake has now confirmed that it actually was him, and released the studio version (with better audio quality and a better backing track).

A similar thing happened with Taylor Swift's new songs:

"In the last week, highly anticipated songs by Drake and Taylor Swift appeared to leak online, sparking enormous reactions. Massive Reddit threads spawned ... But there was one big problem: neither Swift nor Drake confirmed that the songs were real. ... loud contingents on social media claimed that the songs were AI-generated hoaxes, and begged fellow fans not to listen to them. Fervent fans soon became engulfed in rabid hunts for clues and debates aimed at decoding the songs’ levels of authenticity."

... and those Taylor Swift songs also turned out to actually be Taylor Swift. At least a few of them IMO probably could have been generated by currently existing AI: "Much of the album is a dreary muddle ... much of the music is cold and inert. The producer and writer Jack Antonoff has proved himself capable of making all kinds of songs over the years, but this album will only feed his notoriety as a purveyor of formulaic, retro synth pop. The mannered orchestration of the album’s other main contributor ... isn’t any fresher either. The songs tend to develop through the slow accumulation of stuff—gloomy bass lines, spindly guitars, echoing harmonies—rather than through sophisticated interplay of instrumentation and vocalist. ... Both on its own terms and in terms of what she’s already done in her career, this musical approach is boring."

Last edited:
Here's Roomie's take

You won't learn much but it's a good summary of the situation.

and SecondTierSound's kinda positive take

Last edited:
He apparently appropriated that approach, among other things, from Don Van Vliet.

The way Tom Waits works with musicians on his songs reminds me of using generative AI text prompts and likes/dislikes:

"He never suggest notes, he never suggests a part, he never sings a line, he never says what to play, but he is what I imagine an actor might experience when working with a great actor's director... he's very in your face, and you play something and he reacts, and his facial expression gets extreme, nah, yeah yeah yeah that's it, could you make it sound a little more poor, oh oh don't get on the Joni Mitchell train now, it's this constant patter and he never actually says what to play [except for the instrument] ... oh, my play my instrument ... he would ... I show up with the banjo, and he would say could you play my banjo ... and he has a 100-year-old banjo with 100-year-old strings"

... but there aren't any (that I'm aware off) that will let you give them textual (or facial) feedback like that yet....

Asked this rhetorical question to chatgpt. Found the answer interesting but I'm curious to see how copyrights will be managed in the future. How much human "autorship" will be needed to take an AI piece and claim the copyrights ?

Question:
What do you think about the following statement ? With AI being able to spit out billions of pieces regularly in a very short time, many future legitimate human compositions may have very close AI counterparts that would render them uncopyrightable. AI could essentially brute force all possible music so humans can no longer protect their own creations.

AI answer :
The statement raises an interesting point about the potential impact of AI on creative works. It’s true that AI has the capability to generate a vast amount of content quickly, which could include music, literature, and other forms of art. This could lead to situations where AI-generated works are similar to human-created ones.
However, it’s important to note that copyright law typically protects original works of authorship, including those created with the assistance of AI, as long as there is some human authorship involved. The concept of “brute-forcing” all possible music or other creative works is a theoretical one, and in practice, the uniqueness of human creativity and expression still holds significant value and is recognized by copyright laws.
Moreover, the legal and ethical frameworks surrounding AI and copyright are evolving. As AI technology advances, there may be new considerations and regulations put in place to address these concerns and ensure that human creators can protect their original works.
In any case, the relationship between AI and human creativity is complex and multifaceted, and it’s a topic that involves ongoing discussion among legal experts, technologists, and creators. It’s a space to watch as both technology and legal frameworks continue to develop.

CAA Tests AI Cloning

Leading Hollywood talent agency CAA has reportedly been testing an initiative called CAA Vault, allowing A-list clients to create AI clones of themselves to open new creative opportunities.

The details:
CAA partnered with AI firms to scan clients’ bodies, faces, and voices, creating AI replicas for uses like reshooting, dubbing, and stunt double superimposing.

CAA's goal is to eventually make the tech available industry-wide, not just to its clients.

Hollywood has already been bracing for AI’s impact, with Tyler Perry even halting studio expansions after seeing OpenAI’s Sora video capabilities.

Why it matters: While the industry grapples with AI’s coming implications, CAA is taking proactive measures to help clients benefit from the shift. As models continue to improve, the difference between hiring Ryan Gosling or his AI replica may become imperceptible to the average fan.

CAA Tests AI Cloning

Leading Hollywood talent agency CAA has reportedly been testing an initiative called CAA Vault, allowing A-list clients to create AI clones of themselves to open new creative opportunities.

The details:
CAA partnered with AI firms to scan clients’ bodies, faces, and voices, creating AI replicas for uses like reshooting, dubbing, and stunt double superimposing.

CAA's goal is to eventually make the tech available industry-wide, not just to its clients.

Hollywood has already been bracing for AI’s impact, with Tyler Perry even halting studio expansions after seeing OpenAI’s Sora video capabilities.

Why it matters: While the industry grapples with AI’s coming implications, CAA is taking proactive measures to help clients benefit from the shift. As models continue to improve, the difference between hiring Ryan Gosling or his AI replica may become imperceptible to the average fan.

What a way to defend your client's interests. Again, they think short term and don't care if in 5 years they have no client to represent. Let's just get a few millions before closing it all. Typical human shit. It's why A.I. will take all the jobs in the entertainment industry.

Remember the food synthesizer/replicator in Star Trek ?

Let's suppose this exists.
Someone invents a device that can create any meal perfectly instantly from a bloc of carbon. You can download recipes and can adjust the ingredients precisely etc. It's the perfect meal the way you want , in seconds.

How many of you would refuse to buy it because of all the job losses in the food industry it would cause ?
Let's be honest, very few.
I know I would want one.

All this to say that the sad reality is that very few care about the composers, singers and performers who'll be replaced by A.I.

As long as the end product is good, people don't care, especially if it's highly customizable.

Last edited:

Someone invents a device that can create any meal perfectly instantly from a bloc of carbon. You can download recipes and can adjust the ingredients precisely etc. It's the perfect meal the way you want , in seconds.

How many of you would refuse to buy it because of all the job losses in the food industry it would cause ?
I know I would want one.

All this to say that the sad reality is that very few care about the composers, singers and performers who'll be replaced by A.I.

As long as the end product is good, people don't care, especially if it's highly customizable.
IF such a thing ever existed, the public would likely never have access to it. If they did, some ass hat would own the rights to any food generated.

Subscription fees would be in place for different food and drinks packages..

Fancey a nice full English breakfast?? That’ll be 200C of your 1000C (universal credits) a month.

Last edited:

I know I would want one.

SuvwI' quvha'moHlaw' yayvetlh!

The robot terminators are perhaps already here...

I have not seen this angle yet, so I thought why not add to this. :)

I responded to some other topic in the forum suggestions section and was thinking about something that is happening around me:

Absolute disinterest and apathy in the younger generation.
We part-time foster a 17 year old teenager, and he is just not interested.

Even in stuff like Udio. He is like: "Ugh, I have to write a songtext myself? Thats to complicated.".
And he can't even be bothered to type in two sentences.

Here could be this emerging application that will change my life forever, but all I get is:
"Another AI thing? So what? I tried the chatbot on Insta, it writes jokes?"
What?

There is this generation growing up without PC's just using mobile phones, and it's crazy.
Because they just don't know that stuff like this is supposed to be mindblowing.

ChatGPT now has a ‘memory’

ChatGPT now has a memory of its own, creator OpenAI has announced.
It means that the system will now be able to learn and remember details about its users.

If someone asks for a poem about their pets, for instance, the system may remember that those pets are two cats. It will also remember more stylistic points, such as the fact that someone likes their answers being presented in bullet points, or what computer programming languages they use.

Last edited:
Top Bottom