What's new

Game changing libraries

Purely philosophical thoughts: Digitization will not only kill more and more jobs, it will one day replace people with machines. What is so cool today, will lead us all into misery later.

Unless sensible people come to power. Let us hope so and let us do the best for it!
We've got one shot to get it right. Not at all sure that we will do that. Society is going to need some pretty serious work to get things in order to handle changes like this and given the state of the current debate on global climate, I won't hold my breath.

It's a fascinating field but I'm not convinced that enough people are giving enough thought to the potential impacts and how to deal with them.

I always say EWQLSO has a consistency and a musicality that most of the newest libraries simply don't have. I think also money and time invested behind EWQLSO were simply much more. But as someone else already said, EWQLSO is that kind of library that force you to compose in a certain way, the way in which samples sound good.
Modern libraries let you introduce in the "virtual orchestration world" more ideas that would perfectly work with a real orchestra.

While we can certainly spend time tweaking sample libraries, I think when sample libraries are really good right out of the box, it can inspire the creation and direction of the music itself. I am speaking of all types of libraries, not just orchestral. When I get a certain patch, sometimes it's so inspiring that it helps write an entire piece. Of course, we all compose differently, but I tend to get inspired by the mere sound of things. And the responsiveness of the instrument also matters to me. That is why I love the Bohemian Violin --the sound and the responsiveness (though not "perfect," makes it inspiring). I'm sure I would the Joshua Bell Violin as well.

But I did say that if you're trying to make money with music such as you would composing for a game or a film, then the realism and "sample quality" of the mockup is important.

I think if you're composing for concert music, it's crucial to have great libraries as well. Because players mess up during recording sessions all the time. I like to fix notes in a recording and there are no better ways other than just to make the mockup myself rather than having to spend a thousand again for the studio time.

All in all it is a blessing for any kind of composers to have realistic sounding sample libraries and they matter just like results and reality matters to a realist

All in all it is a blessing for any kind of composers to have realistic sounding sample libraries and they matter just like results and reality matters to a realist

Couldn't have put it better. Although I don't think I understand it.

I always say EWQLSO has a consistency and a musicality that most of the newest libraries simply don't have.

I agree; EWQLSO gave me a very accurate guide to what a piece would sound like when it was played by an orchestra. Put another way, I never felt led astray by it when composing -- the live version was just what I expected.

[note: I have received free products from East West]

I would also love to have thought of it this way.

Composers like Chopin, Rachmaninoff, Scriabin probably would've had more orchestral works finished in their lifetime if they had the same technologies we do today. Because for them to have to write orchestral pieces, they had to guess the balance of each part after having had their ideas down from improvising on the piano. It just takes much longer, sometimes a whole year for a whole symphony to be completed due to the fact that they weren't able to hear how it would exactly sound.

There were so many piano pieces by them that performers would perform on a solo piano as if it has orchestral sounds and they actually were able to achieve that but those would've been orchestral pieces right away if mockup tools were advanced enough back then.

Sample libraries matter

I like the Feud theme but I don't like the sound of it. Especially the dynamic really shouts MIDI to me. Sounds keyboard played. Could sound much better with better controllable instruments. Let alone a real orchestra.

Thank you for saying this @Saxer. I didn't want to jump all over a piece that was written by another composer and that was even award nominated but, I didn't like the piece at all. The theme is very good, a perfect seed of an idea. But the production is not good. It would be so much better with modern libraries or better yet a live recording.

Some very unfair comparisons -

Also the way the theme is worked out does not seem very faithful to the jazz/noir style. That orchestra hit section again for example could have some richer jazz harmony... I'm not qualified to say what ;)

Top Bottom