What's new

FINALLY OUT: Daniela Mars Contrabass Flute (50% Off Sale: $39.99)

Will certainly consider. Compressing, as far as I remember, destroys the folder structure, so we usually leave it up to the customer to choose to compress it themselves or not (drop a DM if you're not sure how to do this!), but if it's a majority vote we can certainly look to do that! We have a lot of people in the sort of drag and drop/cinematic area of things too who actually requested a tighter category structure for the wavs, so opted to keep it like this and leave it down to the user to compress or not.
I would leave it as is. First, libraries are getting bigger these days which usually results in better options for users - more mic perspectives, more articulations etc. I disagree with the user above who doesn't think a large file size is a selling point. That large file size is providing a direct benefit and allowing users to dial in the sound exactly how they want. Second, we've been having this "wasted storage" space argument for years. At this point, if you haven't realized you need an extremely large drive or RAID for your samples, I'm not sure what to tell you. File sizes aren't going to go down, especially with new sampling techniques. And third, a larger file size can help fight piracy. It might not seem like much but every sale counts. Otherwise they don't get to make more libraries for us. Not to mention they are selling a great sounding library for 40 bucks. Maybe give them a little slack.

First, libraries are getting bigger these days which usually results in better options for users - more mic perspectives, more articulations etc. I disagree with the user above who doesn't think a large file size is a selling point. That large file size is providing a direct benefit and allowing users to dial in the sound exactly how they want.
This is completely ignoring the topic in question which was file compression, not making libraries with less content.

Either way, the demos sound beautiful!

Great demos, perhaps I'll need it for my next project which requires a few organic bass sounds. And I don't mind the NCW, as long as I am able to use the "bounce" function in my DAW (and just with that - literally just that - I got a waveform:cool:)

Holy crap! That's completely different ballpark. Granted, 11GB is still quite a bunch of bytes but I could already live with that. @Auddict , please consider researching the matter if this would be possible to do- I'm sure it would benefit you in the long run with more potential customers.
We're gonna offer the options - so all customers will get an e-mail with the option to download the compressed half-size version or the raw wav with organized folders version

We're gonna offer the options - so all customers will get an e-mail with the option to download the compressed half-size version or the raw wav with organized folders version
Hi Auddict, how long does the sale for the Contrabasoon last for? Cheers and congratulations on the release.

I ordered and am not seeing the option on downloads. Only the 11.5 GB download is coming up when I click on the link. I am all for quality and don't care about the size if it yields better quality. So how do I get the larger file?

@Donny Grace The 11.5GB download should be exactly the same quality as the larger version? I was under the impression that the smaller version just stores the audio in ncw format (which is a totally lossless Kontakt format) rather than as uncompressed wav files? Suspect the ncw version should load quicker also as the file sizes are smaller.

@Donny Grace The 11.5GB download should be exactly the same quality as the larger version? I was under the impression that the smaller version just stores the audio in ncw format (which is a totally lossless Kontakt format) rather than as uncompressed wav files? Suspect the ncw version should load quicker also as the file sizes are smaller.
11.5GB does not equal 25GB by any measure. I purchased in part based on the advertised 25GB. The product was released as 25GB for a reason. I hope the folks that aren't up-to-speed on storage space didn't talk Auddict into lessening the quality just because they didn't have room for it.

11.5GB does not equal 25GB by any measure. I purchased in part based on the advertised 25GB. The product was released as 25GB for a reason. I hope the folks that aren't up-to-speed on storage space didn't talk Auddict into lessening the quality just because they didn't have room for it.

From my understanding 25 GB is the size of the raw WAV files and 11.5 GB is after kontakt lossless compression. What were you expecting?

From my understanding 25 GB is the size of the raw WAV files and 11.5 GB is after kontakt lossless compression. What were you expecting?
I was expecting 25GB. So why were folks complaining about a 25GB download if that wasn't what was initially made available? I have purchased Kontakt libraries that were 96K and up to 500GB for a single instrument. So why would I complain about a mere 25GB?

I was expecting 25GB. So why were folks complaining about a 25GB download if that wasn't what was initially made available? I have purchased Kontakt libraries that were 96K and up to 500GB for a single instrument. So why would I complain about a mere 25GB?
...and as you see from my prior post, Auddict even bragged about it being 25GB.

Developers could avoid this problem (and a few do so) by including both sizes in their technical specs -- raw .wav files and compressed (.ncw, .ufs or whatever).

Top Bottom