What's new

Favorite Solo Flute?

also agree with mentions of VWinds. I actually personally like the second flute more so I use it as flute 1, same with piccolo

View attachment VW flute 2 BS.mp3
Is this the flute 02 then? That tone sounds better than flute 01 to me.

And maybe it's just me, but the other VWinds flute examples (I assume most of those are done with flute 01) sound a little "reedy" to me. Almost like it's 80% flute and 20A% oboe. I suppose this could be changed with some EQ. Does anyone else hear that? Or is it just me?

However, I don't here that reediness in Leandro Gardini's Princess Leia example. Nor yours. So maybe Leandro used flute 02 as well? Or EQ'd flute one?

M

Leandro, your flute examples are quite amazing and really speak to the VWinds quality. So far, yours examples are the only ones that have left me thinking "that could really be a flute playing". I've not been a fan of the VWinds flute tone in other examples I've heard.

I follow your youtube Sampling Modeling opinions, so I respect your expertise in modeled instruments in general.

Have you been able to first hand compare VWinds Flute to Aaron Venture's Infinite flutes? Listening to many, many examples of both VWinds Flutes and Infinite Woodwinds, I've leant more towards the Infinite sound. I can't quite place my finger on why. Both libraries are capable of the execution, but I hesitate. In the end, I've not been blown over by the verisimilitude of VWinds flute, but in your examples I am.

Anyway, thought you of all people might be able to shed some light on this comparison.

Thanks,
M.
Thank you, sir. By comparing VWinds Flute and Infinite Flutes I say the former is quite superior. Infinite Flutes are quite easy to use if it's placed in the orchestral context. However, it tends to be drowned in the mix. On the other hand, V Flutes are more suitable for exposed parts in my opinion.

Is this the flute 02 then? That tone sounds better than flute 01 to me.

And maybe it's just me, but the other VWinds flute examples (I assume most of those are done with flute 01) sound a little "reedy" to me. Almost like it's 80% flute and 20A% oboe. I suppose this could be changed with some EQ. Does anyone else hear that? Or is it just me?

However, I don't here that reediness in Leandro Gardini's Princess Leia example. Nor yours. So maybe Leandro used flute 02 as well? Or EQ'd flute one?

M
yes this is flute 2! I think flute 1 just sounds a lot darker, but it’s great as well and that difference helps them sound good when playing together.

I max out the air setting which might be what’s helping it sound less reed like

Also another big fan of VWinds Flutes.

Here’s a little demo walkthrough I made of a piece using all 9 flutes included in the collection.

Granted, a piece of all flutes could get a little over the top so I specifically kept the vibrato off some of the lines, almost making them a bit reedy on purpose so the lead lines stand out more and gave the overall piece a classical era/Mozart vibe. But these flutes can all sing, each and every one.

The piece starts at :57 if u want to skip my short intro.

Yeah, I definitely hear this. The articulations make the demos sound like an oboe or clarinet for a split second for me and then I hear flute. I also sometimes hear a bit of the oboe's melancholic tangy tone too.

Last edited:
Also another big fan of VWinds Flutes.

Here’s a little demo walkthrough I made of a piece using all 9 flutes included in the collection.

Granted, a piece of all flutes could get a little over the top so I specifically kept the vibrato off some of the lines, almost making them a bit reedy on purpose so the lead lines stand out more and gave the overall piece a classical era/Mozart vibe. But these flutes can all sing, each and every one.

The piece starts at :57 if u want to skip my short intro.

That sounded very good indeed. And nice composition, too.

Top Bottom