What's new

Exponential Audio acquired by Izotope

Not sure what to think of the merger.
One thing that bothered me with Exponential Audio was that there were constantly new offerings that were in reality the verbs' previous generation with more features (R2 to R4, Phoenixverb to Nimbus) . Granted, developers need to pay the bills, and can get more by selling a new product rather than an upgrade, but i find the practice a bit deceiving.

I'm kind of in agreement Patrick, but I did upgrade R2 to R4 and Phoenix to Nimbus, I thought the subsequent plugins offered enough to justify reasonable fees. Would I like everyone to upgrade everything for free? Sure!

I do draw the line at paying for bug fixes, or at least egregious bug fixes. But new features, better sound, and/or more efficient processing are things I'm willing to pay for, to a point.

I hope that iZotope will keep the plugins alive, that's probably my biggest concern. There are other reverbs out there - some quite good ones, but I've gotten quite comfortable with Nimbus and R4.

Time will tell!

It is tricky business for sure, and I agree with you on the upgrades, not quite as sure on the new product vs upgrade part. As long as the improvements are significant I'm not as concerned about what they call it.

As a rule (loosely defined) I look at upgrades and new products through the same lens - what do they do for me?<G> Figuring out whether that's worth the asking price is an entirely different animal, and one I'm still working on.

Win-win I think, Exponential Audio/Michael is strengthened by iZotope and iZotope acquires wonderful reverbs for a powerful product catalog.

Top Bottom