What's new

Evil Horns, Strings, and Choir Recommendations

phdbeats

Hello everyone!

I am considering purchasing Horns of Hell, Strings of Winter, and one of the Olympus choir options to achieve a darker feel in my production. If you have another recommendation, please let me know. I would consider a complete orchestral library as well.

Thanks!

@doctoremmet Thank you for the reply. Somewhat of a cross between Godzilla meets Lord of the Rings sound wise. I recently started using VSTs. I've purchased Kontakt, but the factory library doesn't suit my needs for this sound. I've also downloaded a few free plugins to try, and I am most impressed with Project Sam's sounds. I did enjoy the demo tracks from Best Service and the aforementioned libraries as well.

@doctoremmet Thank you for the reply. Somewhat of a cross between Godzilla meets Lord of the Rings sound wise. I recently started using VSTs. I've purchased Kontakt, but the factory library doesn't suit my needs for this sound. I've also downloaded a few free plugins to try, and I am most impressed with Project Sam's sounds. I did enjoy the demo tracks from Best Service and the aforementioned libraries as well.
Best Service is great, but you would soon replace it I guess. Project SAM especially with the new updated GUI is gold for that stuff (but little hint: WAIT FOR A SALE - buying for the full price when it comes to sample libraries is nearly never a good idea. OR atleast by bundles if you are sure that you want to do composition in the long term. I worked nearly 1 year just with free stuff.)

Great free ressources:
-Spitfire Labs by Spitfire Audio
-BBC Discovery FREE by Spitfire Audio
-SINE Factory by Orchestral Tools
-Ferrum by Keep Forest
-all the FREE Packs by Keep Forest
-Ceres Free by Auddict Audio (Secret Tipp)
-Clare Solo by Ivy Audio
-Vital Synthesizer (with Free expansions all over the web)

Best Service is great, but you would soon replace it I guess. Project SAM especially with the new updated GUI is gold for that stuff (but little hint: WAIT FOR A SALE - buying for the full price when it comes to sample libraries is nearly never a good idea. OR atleast by bundles if you are sure that you want to do composition in the long term. I worked nearly 1 year just with free stuff.)

Great free ressources:
-Spitfire Labs by Spitfire Audio
-BBC Discovery FREE by Spitfire Audio
-SINE Factory by Orchestral Tools
-Ferrum by Keep Forest
-all the FREE Packs by Keep Forest
-Ceres Free by Auddict Audio (Secret Tipp)
-Clare Solo by Ivy Audio
-Vital Synthesizer (with Free expansions all over the web)
Awesome, thank you @Scripter. I am going to download all of those free resources you mentioned and give them a go. I'll wait for either a Best Service or Project Sam sale too. Hopefully soon for that.

More free stuff that is actually valuable and useful:

^ also grab the free 1928 Steinway ;)

Criminally cheap:

(And speaking of choirs: 8Dio Insolidus for $98 is a great deal).

Criminally cheap:

What a fantastic list, thank you @doctoremmet

For choirs I would look at Stezov Sampling. I use practically nothing but Storm Choir Ultimate for "epic" and I've been eyeing Wotan and Freyda which are favorites of composers like John Powell.

Strings are as dark or as bright as you want to make them.

Horns of Hell. Not really heard them but can't imagine that they are any more hellish than any other horn library.

Criminally cheap:

Hm 8dio is a thing im really careful with them... the products are great but all have their flaws with timing and gui. Especially the choirs. Only got the percs from them and probably gonna pick up some choirs in a bundle next sale. Lacrimosa and Requiem but i would‘t recommend to get them as your first choir libraries. The Strezvo Choir Essential is great and of you want more their choir bundle on a sale is probably the best you can get for now.

In general when it comes to epic trailer percussion Keep Forest is superior in the industry really love them. Ava Instinc and Boomlibrary are good to but I found Keep Forest just to have that little extra over the top smack. :) My two cents

May be nice (dont have it) but i dont think its good for starting out. It seems to serve a really specific purpose.
I feel like if you’re looking for evil sounds their experimental textures are pretty invaluable and just fun to play with. But yeah, they’re not bread and butter. They’re also not terribly expensive tho either. So I would still recommend them imo.

Edit: also. I’d say ‘evil’ is a specific purpose. And mntra can do that plus more. So it’s a diverse buy. But just not bread and butter.

Last edited:
What libraries do you actually have, Scripter? Maybe base your shared experiences on those?
Damn I would need till tomorrow... kind of obsessed with buying libraries. XD

So in short i got:
-NI Komplete Ultimate Bundle
-Cinesamples Core Bundle
-Strezvo Choir Essentials
-8dio Epic Drums Series
-Various Free Libraries from developers like Impact Soundworks, Audio Imperia, Keep Forest, Auddict, ...

The things I really sticked to use for Orchestral Compositions:

Percussion:
-Cine Perc by Cinesamples (Great Library with lots of different percussive Elements for every situation)
-Damage by Heavyocity (for Big Hits and Accents)
-Ferrum Free by Keep Forest (also Accents and its free)
-Epic Frame Drum Ensemble, Epic Tom Ensemble by 8dio (really Epic Fill Drums)

Strings:
-Cine Strings Core by Cinesamples (ok library works but there are better alternatives)

„Piano“:
-Noire by Native Instruments (Love the sound, great for emotional soft passages)
-Alicia Keys by Native Instruments (Good for harder passages)

Winds:
-Cine Winds by Cinesamples (ok don’t use to much winds)
-Monster Low Winds by Cinesamples (like the staccatos, really powerful)

Brass:
-Cine Brass Core by Cinesamples (Sounds Great but is sometimes not „powerful“ enough)
-Symphonic Brass by Native Instruments (Bad metallic sounds, but love it to layer with Cine Brass Core. Makes the sound cut trough the mix. Also good for braaamish fx.)

Choir + Vocals:
-Choir Essentials by Strezvo Sampling (Sounds Great an is really versatile)
-Ceres Free by Auddict Audio (Free and best solo vocals i have)

Synth:
-Vital by Matt Tyrel (Free and versatile)

Top Bottom