What's new

Eugene Latsko - Butterfly Chooses a Cage

Really beautiful! Words I thought of while listening - "glowing darkly" "a brooding flourish" and "harrowing beauty". And now I realize yeah, "butterfly chooses a cage" fits really well.

Feels very much like a Ravel/Debussy/Vaughn Williams piece if they were in a dark mood =)

I like the chords, and the way that a lot of the chords run over each other in beautiful connected ways. As a listener the just a nice balance between "simple enough to be accessible" and "complex enough to be rich and interesting and unique". Also really like the assignment of little flourishes to various sections / soloists, like around 1:13-1:30 really beautiful. But, I'm a sucker for those particular kinds of chords in that passage.

A matter of personal taste - I think it would have worked really well to have a slightly more exaggerated "climax" growing into 2:55, where all sections swell a bit louder than the rest of the piece and in a higher register. And then, still personal taste - I would have loved to hear the next phrase (until 3:14) dramatically quieter and more rubato with a fermata around 3:14 just before recapping on the D-F-D-F...

Did you have a soft compressor on a bus somewhere? If so I'd suggest maybe even taking it off. I think the piece would really glow and brood in a magical way if the micro-dynamics were way more exaggerated. I feel like I can imagine a conductor stopping the orchestra asking for more dynamic range like that.

But yeah, great piece =)

@shawnsingh thank you very much for your detailed post and kind words! I really appreciate it.
I can only agree with you, in such music I have to use a very soft method of compressing, probably I overcompressed the piece a bit. Actually it's not only my fault, because I used 0-40 CCs numbers for the whole track, I really wanted to achieve this pp\p soft sound, and I had to tweak not only dynamics, but volume too.. So I thought +\-6 db tweaks besides 0-40CC dynamics will be enough, but yeah, now I can hear the piece lacks dynamics a bit.
Great tips about tempo, I will definitely remember them.
I really glad that you liked harmony of the track, because lately I thought a lot about personal style and concluded that I want it to be accessible, modern and rich at the same time. I always loved impressionists and their approach to music. I remember when I listened to Debussy for the first time and in one of his compositions I heard a simplest chord progression after a very modern and chromatic part.. I could not believe how such contrasts can work well, and I understood that one of the ways to refresh our perception of simple and beautiful chords is to make them a part of something complex.
Thanks again!

A really haunting, dark piece! I like it with all its progressions. And that there are lots of them!

just minor picks ->
At 0:54 - 1:12 the rhythmic extra staccato part seemed to stand out a little shy for the part of its being.
I agree with shawnsingh on the thing of getting rid (finetuning) of the compression. Just an impression, I'm not sure how much could be changed for the dynamics taking more "glue".

@Thomas Kallweit
Thank you! It is actually a good question how to control dynamics of music better while making it cleaner and better in terms of mixing and balance. I don't use compressors that affect the whole frequency range of an instrument, but I use limiters and I think that that's the problem right here.

Top Bottom