What's new

EastWest Hollywood Orchestra maxed CPU usage on idle (Cubase 9.5)

benmwatson

I'm iterating my orchestra template and adding a few more samples (all EastWest stuff at this point). Having all tracks enabled results in basically 100% CPU usage while idle--just an empty project. Am I missing something? This shouldn't be happening. I knew going in that EW was a CPU hog, but I thought that was just while playing. Cubase is basically unusable unless I disable all the tracks I'm not working on.

The project template has 98 tracks, many with a set of articulations loaded on different channels. The project loads quickly. All the samples are on an SSD. The project takes about 60-90 seconds to load about 30 GB into memory.

I've got 64 GB of RAM, i7-8600 CPU. It's a fast computer.

I ran a CPU profiler and it definitely showed that all the CPU usage is coming from play64. I'm using Play 6.

Is there anything I can do to keep the samples loaded in the memory I paid a huge amount for, but not run the CPU non-stop while not playing? What is it doing?

Edit: Should have mentioned: I also have 4 group channels, each with an instance of QL Spaces on them. All the instrument sections feed into those.

Last edited:
Are you loading the 32 bit "Play" instead of the correct "play_vst_x64"? "Play" would require the computer to thunk between 32 and 64 bit modes, and would explain your problem. Be sure you're using the 6.0.5 or later version of play_vst_x64.

I have sometimes seen a single instance of play_vst_x64 take up about 10 or 12% CPU in both Cubase 9.5 Pro and Reaper, but usually much less. It's kind of a mystery. I "think" I've noticed that when I have multiple VSTs loaded, putting any instrument except play_vst_x64 at the top of the track list eliminates the high CPU.

I don't have a Cubase EWSO template, but I just loaded my full EWSO template in Reaper and the CPU hovers around 1.5% on a system much like yours. Reaper is so nice! And so is dear old EWSO! I'm working on a collaboration (without EWSO) so I'm stuck in Cubase for a while, but I think I'll give Reaper another try soon.

I use Play 5 with Cubase 9.5, but I've never seen your issues as described. I would suggest you start by turning off all FX, including Spaces. At some point I had a similar issue and that was ultimately caused by an FX somehow halting processing of the VSTs feeding it. I think the FX-VST was attempting to adjust for processing delay.

I'm iterating my orchestra template and adding a few more samples (all EastWest stuff at this point). Having all tracks enabled results in basically 100% CPU usage while idle--just an empty project. Am I missing something? This shouldn't be happening. I knew going in that EW was a CPU hog, but I thought that was just while playing. Cubase is basically unusable unless I disable all the tracks I'm not working on.

The project template has 98 tracks, many with a set of articulations loaded on different channels. The project loads quickly. All the samples are on an SSD. The project takes about 60-90 seconds to load about 30 GB into memory.

I've got 64 GB of RAM, i7-8600 CPU. It's a fast computer.

I ran a CPU profiler and it definitely showed that all the CPU usage is coming from play64. I'm using Play 6.

Is there anything I can do to keep the samples loaded in the memory I paid a huge amount for, but not run the CPU non-stop while not playing? What is it doing?

Edit: Should have mentioned: I also have 4 group channels, each with an instance of QL Spaces on them. All the instrument sections feed into those.

Hey! Did you ever get to solve this issue? I have the same one, using the latest version of Play.

I'm having the same issue while running EWQLSO with similar specs. Cpu is almost maxed out but all the play instances are idle, even though they have sounds loaded. Did anyone find a solution to this?

Same issue in OPUS too. I did all sorts of testing, but Ridgero is correct, the solution is to turn off
"Multithreaded Voice Renderer". In OPUS, that's under the first page of settings.

"Multithreaded Reverb" doesn't seem to cause the issue for me.

Same issue in OPUS too. I did all sorts of testing, but Ridgero is correct, the solution is to turn off
"Multithreaded Voice Renderer". In OPUS, that's under the first page of settings.

"Multithreaded Reverb" doesn't seem to cause the issue for me.
I had the same issue on Cubase. Turned off the Multithread Voice Render in OPUS options, and now it plays smoothly. Thanks!

Top Bottom