What's new

East West Hollywood Orchestral Woodwinds

nicoroy123

Hi guys,
Questions for those who owns EW HOW. How are they standing against the other developers options like Berlin or Spitfire ?

All the demos and vids seems to date from many years, and honestly, are not super convincing. I own and like HS and HB, and would like to complete my orchestra but I am not convinced of the quality.

Any input welcome.
Thanks

Last edited:
The quality is good overall, but there are several phasing issues with some of the sounds. Other may offer more details, but outside of that I do not find it lacking at all.

However, as a result of the phasing on a handful of the instruments, I also purchased Berlin Woodwinds, which now fall under Revive. They work together nicely.

It's not as good as Berlin WW. There are some nice articulations, but the tone of the clarinets/EH, the inconsistencies in the legato transitions/etc make it more of a layering/secondary library imo. I do like the dry bassoon sound, one of the flutes, and most of the oboe patches.

I started out with Hollywood Woodwinds and have been surprised to see what a bad rap it gets on the forum here. (Obviously, this is just my opinion.) While I'm not partial to its clarinet's tone (and ended up adding the Fluffy Audio clarinet which is gorgeous), I really like the oboe and bassoon and find them very usable, even in exposed passages. I use the oboe heavily for solos in the first 30 seconds here:

And this is the Hollywood bassoon with the Fluffy clarinet:

The flute 1 is also decent, although I often pull down its high frequencies a bit to balance it with other instruments. Its legato is not quite perfect, but it's more than ample for an ensemble context. (Flute 2 is barely good enough to use for divisi below flute 1 without grimacing.)

How are they standing against the other developers options like Berlin or Spitfire ?

I bought Spitfire Woodwinds on their intro special and discovered them to be extremely different, very "expressive" sounding performances (lots of ambiance, gentler performances, heavier vibratos) compared to the more "plain" sound of Hollywood Woodwinds. Of the two, I often find it easier to get phrases to fit well in an orchestration using Hollywood, although it really depends what music you write. If you're a fan of libraries like Albion V Tundra, Spitfire would obviously be superior.

The quality is good overall, but there are several phasing issues with some of the sounds.

I agree that riding CC1 hard in an exposed context can give you some phasing, so I tend to use a mixture of CC1 and CC11 there and haven't had any huge complaints.

Berlin Woodwinds Revive is the way to go in 2017

I agree that if you can reach into some deep pockets, Revive really looks and sounds great, and is probably the most all-around high quality package out there at the moment.

i'd like to know too particularly the diamond edition

I do find myself reaching to tweak the mics on the woodwinds every once in a while (maybe for 20% of pieces) depending on if I want a more distant/orchestral or closer/solo sound.

Look, just to be clear...at the current sale price, the Woodwinds ARE worth it. They are really good overall. If you are used to Play 5 and the Hollywood Series, you will be at home with them. Same for the percussion...the percussion is underrated and I love it!

In an orchestral setting the series works very well together. For solos, I go to other sources.

yea i just bought the diamond orchestra a few minutes ago - i've been a cc gold sub for well over a year and thought it best to take the plunge.
From what i've gathered from this forum is that the woods are good, but fall short of greatness.
i'm actually okay with that being i have two other wood libraries to layer with.
The strings and brass tho are just fantastic given their age!

yea i just bought the diamond orchestra a few minutes ago - i've been a cc gold sub for well over a year and thought it best to take the plunge.
From what i've gathered from this forum is that the woods are good, but fall short of greatness.
i'm actually okay with that being i have two other wood libraries to layer with.
The strings and brass tho are just fantastic given their age!

Good thing. I agree with you, HS and HB are really good, specially Diamond when you start layering mic positions. I wanted to complete my orchestra, but I think I will get HO Percussions only.

I was asking for the quality of the harp in another thread but it seems it falls short as well. It's sad that the quality is not equal among all products.

I have Hollywood Orchestral Woodwinds Gold, Spitfire Symphonic Woodwinds, and Berlin Woodwinds (original).

If I were to rate them, I'd go BWW > SSW > HOW. BWW is fantastic and it may be one of my best purchases of all time; SSW is nice but as I have BWW I don't use it much unless I specifically want that AIR sound; and HOW just sounds bad in comparison to both.

In terms of sound, BWW and SSW are probably about equal. Articulation-wise, BWW has wayyyyyy more and is more consistent as well. HOW is also relatively consistent in articulations, but the scripting, playability, and tone are not at Spitfire or OT levels IMO.

VSL woodwinds or Berlin woodwinds are the ones that I like best. Even the VSL Special Edition Woodwinds for 70€ do A LOT. If you are not going to write virtuosic solo concertos for woodwinds they can probably do all you need.

I agree with @Lawson. Having all three (just the gold version of HOW though), the woods I reach for are the Spitfire or the BWW now, depending on what I need for tone/etc. Plus I also have Auddict's woods, and the Fluffy Clarinet, which I prefer also over HOW. The Fluffy clarinet in my opinion is close to or THE best on the market if you want something expressive with great tone. While there are some good instruments in HOW (and some not so good), it just doesn't excite me as much as the others, and I certainly wouldn't use the HOW woods very exposed given the other options I have.

HS & HB some of the best produced libraries ever imo, even though they've become dated by the competition. HOW was never on the par with the others. Own diamond and haven't used it for years.

I replaced Hollywood Woodwinds Diamond with Berlin’s Woodwinds in my template about a year ago. I bought the Main library and Exp. A, B, C. I still use Hollywood Strings and Brass.

Yeh, i have the Hollywood Diamond Orchestra. Strings are good, Brass is fantastic, percussion is good.

Woodwinds however, i never liked. The legato is inconsistent and to be honest he samples/recordings just don't sound that great to me.

I bought Master solo woodwinds in the vstbuzz sale and they are much better in my opinion.

Top Bottom