What's new

Drum pad recommendations?

jononotbono

Luke Johnson
Just curious to know what people are using for playing in drum samples?

My 88 key weighted controller has a terrible action and is utterly useless for playing in fast percussion (soon to be upgraded) but I’m intrigued about drum pads. Is the Maschine thing from NI worth the money? Just getting some ideas of what to look at as there seems to be a lot of choice and if that choice is anything like the Keyboard controller market, I would hate to buy something that is bad (most keyboard controllers are).

Thanks

Jono

My 88 key weighted controller has a terrible action and is utterly useless for playing in fast percussion (soon to be upgraded) but I’m intrigued about drum pads. Is the Maschine thing from NI worth the money? Just getting some ideas of what to look at as there seems to be a lot of choice and if that choice is anything like the Keyboard controller market, I would hate to buy something that is bad (most keyboard controllers are).

Thanks

Jono

Maschine has great pads ( I have MK3) and is a beast in many other ways (certainly worth the price as a whole, and if NI ever introduce song layer... wow) but if pads are all you need it is an expensive solution.

Just beware that finger drumming on pads feels entirely different from drumming on keys. I am not sure I prefer the excellent pads of my Maschine over the keys of my s61 mk2 when it comes to laying down a rhythm (but I am a keyboardist). You might just be better of with a new keyboard.

Just beware that finger drumming on pads feels entirely different from drumming on keys. I am not sure I prefer the excellent pads of my Maschine over the keys of my s61 mk2 when it comes to laying down a rhythm (but I am a keyboardist). You might just be better of with a new keyboard.

Well I'm going to buy a Studio Logic Grand as my main controller but I'm up for buying a smaller synth action keyboard as well but not really sure what to get as there's so much choice. I was even thinking about buying a Behringher Deepmind 12 as my first hardware synth that can also be used as a Midi controller. Perhaps that is a better option than shelling out for a Machine. Hmmm.

Yeah, there's too much out there. Was in the same boat last year. Decided to buy a vpc-1 for weighted action and invest in NI (s61 and maschine) for all stuff synthy and drummy. Very happy now, even though I still have wishes for Maschine (song layer, please).

Yeah, there's too much out there. Was in the same boat last year. Decided to buy a vpc-1 for weighted action and invest in NI (s61 and maschine) for all stuff synthy and drummy. Very happy now, even though I still have wishes for Maschine (song layer, please).

I'm not familiar with "Song layer"...

I'm not familiar with "Song layer"...
I'll try to enlighten you. At its heart, Maschine is a loop-based beat machine. However, as it also can be the centerpiece of production, especially if you have a lot of nks-libraries, many request have been addressed to ni to turn Maschine into a real daw and let recording inside it not be restricted to loops. 2 years ago NI unveiled they were working towards a song layer within Maschine, which does just that. However, it has not been released yet (the current focus seems to be on recording audio wirhin Maschine). The most recent update on song layer was: 'not in 2018'.
I am eagerly awaiting it, but if you only would want to use Maschine hardware for its pads, as a generic midi controller, the whole song layer story has no relevance to you.
You could google Maschine Song Layer, though, and get an inkling of Maschine fans' frustration....

I'll try to enlighten you. At its heart, Maschine is a loop-based beat machine. However, as it also can be the centerpiece of production, especially if you have a lot of nks-libraries, many request have been addressed to ni to turn Maschine into a real daw and let recording inside it not be restricted to loops. 2 years ago NI unveiled they were working towards a song layer within Maschine, which does just that. However, it has not been released yet (the current focus seems to be on recording audio wirhin Maschine). The most recent update on song layer was: 'not in 2018'.
I am eagerly awaiting it, but if you only would want to use Maschine hardware for its pads, as a generic midi controller, the whole song layer story has no relevance to you.
You could google Maschine Song Layer, though, and get an inkling of Maschine fans' frustration....

Ok thanks. It's not something I personally want but sounds very good to people that do.

The Steinberg CMC PD is nice if you can find it on eBay. The pads are very sensitive and respond even to a light touch.

The Korg Pad Control is a simple but useful device. I have Maschine too but find it too hard to integrate into the workflow and the pads feel good in Maschine software but somehow harder and less dynamic as an external midi controller. Might be changed meanwhile (I didn't use it for years). But the Korg is still there and works.

Check out the Keith McMillen Boppad. I love mine, and they are very responsive. You can even tap on them.
@D Halgren Have you experienced any of the midi logjams or editor flakiness that I read about in various online reviews (Sweetwater, etc.)? I'm very interested in this, particularly for very fast hand/fingertip input. OSX here. Cheers, Paul

@D Halgren Have you experienced any of the midi logjams or editor flakiness that I read about in various online reviews (Sweetwater, etc.)? I'm very interested in this, particularly for very fast hand/fingertip input. OSX here. Cheers, Paul
I'm OSX too. No, I haven't, the only problem I've had is that for some reason I have to unplug/replug everytime I turn on the computer to get the pad to connect.

Steinberg CMC PD user also. Great for finger tip use. Other than that, I would recommend the Maschine MK III for full pad size.

Hmmmmm …… Keyboardist here as well and have orig S49. Wonder if it is comparable to your mk2 in terms of 'laying down a rhythm' ??
Could be an affordable solution for OP as well ….

Thanks very much — good to know. I may take a leap of faith!
I just read the Sweetwater reviews. I'm using the editor from when it first came out, and no sticks, just fingers. I imagine that sticks can create much faster hits and maybe quite different. I should take a look at the site and compare the editor. Wonder if it is part of the issue?

Thanks

Jono

I still love my Bop Pad .....highly recommend!

I am in a similar situation. A big keyboard for key stuff. A small Akai MPK 25 key for synth etc. I has 8 pads. Curently i am learning how to drum on them. Akai Pads are really nice imo. One advice. For some serious stuff go for more than 8pads. I have 8 and could use some more.

Top Bottom