What's new

Dorico and VSL

Hi,

I'm trying Dorico Pro 3 since yesterday, but there is no way I can see my VSL plugins (Vienna Instruments Pro, Vienna Ensemble Pro, Vienna Synchron Player) in the choice of the VST Instruments, in the Play section (only appear DoricoBeep, Groove Agent SE, Halion Sonic SE, Padshop and Retrologue).

Most of the VSL plugins are VST3, so why don't they appear?

Any idea?

Thanks a lot,

Benjamin

Hi,

I'm trying Dorico Pro 3 since yesterday, but there is no way I can see my VSL plugins (Vienna Instruments Pro, Vienna Ensemble Pro, Vienna Synchron Player) in the choice of the VST Instruments, in the Play section (only appear DoricoBeep, Groove Agent SE, Halion Sonic SE, Padshop and Retrologue).

Most of the VSL plugins are VST3, so why don't they appear?

Any idea?

Thanks a lot,

Benjamin
If you're running the latest version of Dorico 3.0.10 on macOS, then it's because they changed the vst3scanner for macOS Catalina compatibility. VSL VST3 plugins use aliases for the actual file in the plugin. These need to be changed to the actual file. VSL is working on updating these plugins. It's possible to do this yourself if you're comfortable with manipulating packaged files.

You'll also need to delete the local preferences files in VSTAudioEngine3 folder. This folder has a blacklist file that needs to be regenerated after the plugins get updated.

Thank you dbudde. I'm afraid I'm not comfortable at all with manipulating packaged files. I wish VSL will soon update these plugins, otherwise I won't be able to do my trial for Dorico, which only lasts one month...

I wouldn't count on VSL fixing it that quickly. You are best off copying the files into the correct location. It is pretty safe and then it will start working.

I think the Dorico guys might give out another trial period for you once VSL has fixed it and you explain to them why you couldn't effectively try out the programme for your needs.

You just need to edit the file C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\VSTAudioEngine3_64\vst2whitelist.txt (you can edit that inside Dorico)

It's not that difficult: in the preferences>play> scroll down to where you see the vst2 whitelist, there it can be edited.

I had this with Ivory: I couldn't get it recognized by Dorico, until I checked the map again and noticed that after Ivory there was 'vst' behind the name. Once I had added that, it was okay. Maybe it is something similar for you?

NotePerformer and Kontakt are both in the built in whitelist in Dorico 3 instead of in the text file that you can edit - you don't have to manually add them into the file. You only have to manually add things other than NotePerformer and Kontakt into the whitelist file.

Check your audio engine log for more information: C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\VSTAudioEngine3_64\logs

Totally not getting Dorico 3.0.10 to acknowledge the existence of Kontakt 3, 5, or 6, nor NotePerformer, with them entered in the vst2whitelist.txt or not. Despite full reinstallation of Dorico, Kontakt, and NotePerformer.
Guess I'm calling Steinberg.

Look in the audio engine log like I suggested, it will tell you if it even tried to load them. Perhaps the folder they are in is not being scanned for VST plugins by Dorico.

Also check this file: C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\VSTAudioEngine3_64\Vst2xPlugin Blacklist VSTAudioEngine3.xml

If the plugin caused a crash it will get blacklisted and placed in that xml file.

Totally not getting Dorico 3.0.10 to acknowledge the existence of Kontakt 3, 5, or 6, nor NotePerformer, with them entered in the vst2whitelist.txt or not. Despite full reinstallation of Dorico, Kontakt, and NotePerformer.
Look in the audio engine log like I suggested, it will tell you if it even tried to load them. Perhaps the folder they are in is not being scanned for VST plugins by Dorico.

Also check this file: C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\VSTAudioEngine3_64\Vst2xPlugin Blacklist VSTAudioEngine3.xml

If the plugin caused a crash it will get blacklisted and placed in that xml file.
the blacklist has in it, at the top, NotePerformer64, and Kontakt 5. Still no sign of Kontakt (v6) as being loadable/loaded.
Is it just Me?

the blacklist has in it, at the top, NotePerformer64.
Try exiting Dorico, delete the blacklist xml file and start it again.
deleted; no difference.
Interestingly, Zebra2 has gotten on the list because I added it to the whitelist, despite it being VST3, and other u-he plugs just showing up.
And, too, Play is on the list, but not the 64-bit version.
It's almost like it's not liking 64-bit plug-ins.

Dorico is 64-bit only. If it encounters a 32-bit plugin it will ignore it, or possibly blacklist it. It has certainly detected the 64-bit version of Play, if it is in the list. Your 32-bit plugins should be in a separate folder from the 64-bit plugins, so you should never run into such an issue.

You might be able to see in the log file for the vstaudioengine (the one created on the startup right after you deleted the blacklist xml) why it blacklisted those two VST plugins (at least that log is what Steinberg support is likely to ask you for).

Dorico is 64-bit only. If it encounters a 32-bit plugin it will ignore it, or possibly blacklist it. It has certainly detected the 64-bit version of Play, if it is in the list. Your 32-bit plugins should be in a separate folder from the 64-bit plugins, so you should never run into such an issue.

You might be able to see in the log file for the vstaudioengine (the one created on the startup right after you deleted the blacklist xml) why it blacklisted those two VST plugins (at least that log is what Steinberg support is likely to ask you for).
We'll see what they say. Email sent. Thank you for looking.

Top Bottom