What's new

Does Music make you cry...

Very rarely, but it does make me laugh (in a good "those brilliant bastards" kind of way) pretty often.

To picture, though? That's a different story. I've welled up at scenes with no music at all.

I agree, with picture, music can penetrate your soul and the faucet begins, but alone, I usually find it uplifting. Interesting question.

What about this "superb" version of "Sonata in D Minor for Cello & Piano, L.135: 1. Prologue (lent)" by Maurice Gendron & Jean Françaix ().

Yes. Hard to say how often as it depends on how often I find music that makes me cry. It doesn't need to be sad song at all. I just have to feel that author gave heart to his/her art. Movies can touch me to.
It can be embarrassing like during last Hans Zimmer concert when I sat in first row :blush:
But life events don't. I became insensitive to real life when I grew up. Sometimes I think that I'm real freak because of that :sick: :grin:

Yes it does. it happened to me yesterday too, but was a little different than usually.

We are moving next week and while packing things up, I was listening to one Finnish pop/rock (CD) album that I used to listen to a lot when I was around 20. Found it in my belongings, and have not heard it in a long while. Now turning 42 and one could also say that a big cycle is ending in my life at this point.

With that music I could connect to my younger self back then, and I felt like observing that young me, and thinking that I could have never imagined the things I would see and confront during these years, and the fact that much later on, at this moment in time, I would be listening to that same record as this person I have become. Have seen both hardships and beauty of life, and become quite a different person since those years of my youth.

It was a deep and moving experience that brought tears into my eyes.

Last edited:
It doesn't happen that often, but John Barry is the king of wringing musical emotion out of me. I went to a concert back in the late 90s at the Royal Albert Hall, walking in as a Bond fan and walking out as a John Barry fan. He conducted the English Chamber Orchestra to play Dances with Wolves, Frances, Out of Africa, Somewhere in time - they all got to me (and completely independently of the films themselves - something you can't really say much these days).

Absolutely, in context. Like the ending of "Going My Way" with the refrain of "Too-Ra-Loo-Ra-Loo-Ral." Though this song was never connected with my family, I always think of my Mom, especially after hearing the full version.

I teared-up a few days ago via a Harry Nilsson song, for the same reasons.

Up until a few days ago I would have said no. Then I listened to a song by a 13 year old girl and wept like a baby. And she wrote it too. I must be getting sensitive in my old age.

This gets me every time.

Rivers of tears over here.

In response to the original question: all the time. Sometimes thinking about a particular piece of music makes me cry. It's by far the medium that connects with me more than anything. Sometimes it's nostalgia, sometimes it's a connection with a picture that impacted me, sometimes it's the perfect conduit for a particular life experience, sometimes the music simply conjures feelings. Music seems to colour my world and experiences in extremely significant ways -- I sometimes don't feel like I really feel the depth of a particular event or experience unless it's put into music. It's not that I don't feel the events or emotions accompanying them, it's just that I feel an almost overwhelming depth to them when abstracted into music in some way or another. And it can be for any reason -- joyful, sorrowful, grateful, at peace, anxious, etc. I've had multiple standalone albums legitimately change my life -- there was one in particular where upon listening to it I cried like I've never cried about anything before and it healed me in a deeply significant way. I was never the same after that.
I cry rather infrequently otherwise.

Whether this:

Or this:

(the solo at 5:26 wrecks me)

Or this:

Or this:

(I only watch this like once a year)

Or this:
https://youtu.be/j1wgaFJ0750
(First days of having our daughter)

Or this:
https://youtu.be/AlftMNmDH00

Or this:
https://youtu.be/HAdXWM1btG4

Short answer: Yes. I think I have a problem...

Last edited:
An incomplete list of music that brought me to tears:

Hans Zimmer & John Powell - Kung Fu Panda Theme
Thomas Bergersen - Final Frontier
Thomas Bergersen - Two Hearts
Thomas Bergersen - In Paradisum
Thomas Bergersen - Creation of Earth
Thomas Bergersen - Into The Moonlight
Rico Derks - When will i see you again?
Phil Lober - The Eternal Rest Of A Ronin
Coldplay - Fix You

Thomas Bergersen - Star Sky
Thomas Bergersen - Frozen Moment
Thomas Bergersen - Wings
Thomas Bergersen - Lux Eterna
Thomas Bergersen - Heart
Robert Allen Elliott - September Song
Daniel Beijbom - The Divine Lady
Brand X Music - Endless Seas
Paul Dinletir - Forgive Us Our Trespasses
Paul Dinletir - Farewell To Earth
Hans Zimmer - Interstellar OST
Blake (Blakus) Robinson - Elevation
Gregor Narholz - Book Of Fairytales
Justin Skomarovsky - Love and War

Thomas Bergersen - Chosen One
Thomas Bergersen - Threnody for Europe
Thomas Bergersen - Say Yes
Mark Petrie - As The Sun Rises
Hammock - Glassy Blue
Hans Zimmer - Science and Religion (Angels and Demons)
Hans Zimmer - The Last Samurai Soundtrack
James Everingham - In The End
Ivan Torrent - The Axis of Love
Phil Lober - Like Water
Chris Haigh - Everything To Fight For

Last edited:
Rivers of tears over here.

In response to the original question: all the time. Sometimes thinking about a particular piece of music makes me cry. It's by far the medium that connects with me more than anything. Sometimes it's nostalgia, sometimes it's a connection with a picture that impacted me, sometimes it's the perfect conduit for a particular life experience, sometimes the music simply conjures feelings. Music seems to colour my world and experiences in extremely significant ways -- I sometimes don't feel like I really feel the depth of a particular event or experience unless it's put into music. It's not that I don't feel the events or emotions accompanying them, it's just that I feel an almost overwhelming depth to them when abstracted into music in some way or another. And it can be for any reason -- joyful, sorrowful, grateful, at peace, anxious, etc. I've had multiple standalone albums legitimately change my life -- there was one in particular where upon listening to it I cried like I've never cried about anything before and it healed me in a deeply significant way. I was never the same after that.
I cry rather infrequently otherwise.

Whether this:

Or this:

(the solo at 5:26 wrecks me)

Or this:

Or this:

(I only watch this like once a year)

Or this:

(First days of having our daughter)

Or this:
https://youtu.be/AlftMNmDH00

Or this:
https://youtu.be/HAdXWM1btG4

Short answer: Yes. I think I have a problem...

On the contrary I would say you're a lucky man, try to imagine listening to Music without emotion, would be the Hell ! For myself, I've spent my all life between "the Mount Everest and the Mariana Trench"... F.

Thank you very much all for your touching answers... PLEASE go on sharing your experiences, this is so interesting to know how everyone manages his/her relationship with our best friend, the MUSIC. The World is getting worse and worse and I still am optimistic, because I have the Music, the Nature and the Animals, what could I ask more ? F.

I know this sounds totally flakey, but sometimes I'll on-purposely instill a good cry (feels good now and then). Watching the ending of Hidalgo or Bridges of Madison County (or first 15 minutes of Finding Nemo) always does the trick! As does a long list of my favorite Classical, Baroque, and soundtrack collection. Plus, it can bring some good inspiration when writing music that requires that tone.

This time last week I was at the Royal Albert Hall in London where James Newton Howard was conducting his first concert of his movie scores from the last 30 years.

With the scene playing above on a big screen, he conducted what he called the love theme from King Kong, the cue from the scene in New York where Kong and Naomi Watts see each other for the first time, and they both realise that he is doomed. It was absolutely heartbreaking, and so very beautifully performed.

I don't think there was a dry eye in the house...

KingKing.jpeg

Last edited:
I know this sounds totally flakey, but sometimes I'll on-purposely instill a good cry (feels good now and then). Watching the ending of Hidalgo or Bridges of Madison County (or first 15 minutes of Finding Nemo) always does the trick! As does a long list of my favorite Classical, Baroque, and soundtrack collection. Plus, it can bring some good inspiration when writing music that requires that tone.
Not at all. There's been this weird culture around masculinity and the shedding of tears for decades and it's about time it dies. I'm not sure old poets, composers, etc were so fixated on stifling basic human functions.

On the contrary I would say you're a lucky man, try to imagine listening to Music without emotion, would be the Hell ! For myself, I've spent my all life between "the Mount Everest and the Mariana Trench"... F.
I'm starting to count myself more as fortunate than before in this regard. I'm surprised it doesn't affect other musicians as much as myself in some cases.
Funnily enough, I distinctly remember a time as a kid of ~10. A friend and I were about to go visit a friend of his, and I quipped I should bring my new CD along (they sure were expensive back then). He mentioned that this particular friend "didn't really like music", and I was utterly baffled -- how on earth could I relate to such a person?

Top Bottom