What's new

Does it annoy anyone else that there is no standard for keyswitching between libraries?

Actually, what annoys me is that Kontact still doesn't have a feature to transpose key mappings in a fast and convenient way. This is a feature that they should have had 10 years ago.

Audio Imperia has had that in their Kontakt Libraries for quite some time now, other companies just decide not to implement it.

Audio Imperia has had that in their Kontakt Libraries for quite some time now, other companies just decide not to implement it.
Yeah, and it's cool that they do that. I have a couple other libraries that allow you to remap key switches too, although I can't remember what they are right now.

But this is a feature that should be offered by Kontact, as well as many others. In all the years I've been working with samplers and synthesizers, going back to the 70s, I've never had one that didn't allow you to easily transpose, split the keyboard, remap, Etc.

Ever had a bass patch that only goes down to low E and you need it to go down to low D? It's a nightmare.

Native Instruments made a conceptual decision to become more of a platform than an actual sample player. Like so many of their decisions (forcing people to be online to register libraries, or discontinuing the B4) it was bad.

I'm going back and organizing my keyswitch maps for all the libraries I use, and it's crazy that they really are all over the place. Some start at c1, some c0, some c6, some c7, some randomly in between an octave like a#-1.

Am I missing something? Wouldn't it just make sense to make every keyswich start at midi note "0" (or c-1)? It doesn't cover any range for any instrument.
Yes, I am annoyed by this as well. For me Spitfire UACC comes closest but not all Spitfire libraries are setup to use UACC automatically so one must do a lot of programming to get everything working right particularly with Spitfire Player based libraries. I don’t like the way Orchestral Tools Capsule based libraries work in this regard but at least JunkieXL Brass specifically is easier to program and control.

you can use key switches or CC to control capsule multis, and can transpose yuey keyswitches.

problem with UACC is that there is no way to layer articulations, which is why flexrouter makes everything a dream kontakt related

Keyswitches are for sure a thing of the past, articulationID (Logic) / ExpressionMaps (Cubase) are the smoothest way to implement articulation switching because they avoid problems like transposition, cluttered scores, playback from the middle of a piece using the wrong artic, & incompatible keyswitches between libraries.

I have my own custom articulationID system and a MIDI Scripter (built off Thanos) that automatically sends the appropriate CCs for different libraries. You don't really need the scripter though. The built in ExpressionMap and ArticulationID makers in Logic & Cubase allow you to construct your own really simply.

I admit I've never bothered using articulationIDs and still use ye olde keyswitches. What I like about using keys is the fact I can quickly see via the piano roll notes, where my articulations are changing. As far as I can tell, with articulationIDs you don't know which note is using which articulation until you click on that note, is that right?

As far as I can tell, with articulationIDs you don't know which note is using which articulation until you click on that note, is that right?
Pretty much - although you can have the notes in the piano rolled coloured "by articulation ID" which gives some visual differentiation. I suspect there might be more to come.

@NoamL has it right though. The devs are never going to agree a standard (they have no commercial incentive/every user is different) and so articulation management is the best way to tie the whole mess together.

Last edited:
Pretty much - although you can have the notes in the piano rolled coloured "by articulation ID" which gives some visual differentiation. I suspect there might be more to come.

Cheers. Do you lose the velocity colouring or is the art ID colour in addition to?

Keyswitches are for sure a thing of the past, articulationID (Logic) / ExpressionMaps (Cubase) are the smoothest way to implement articulation switching because they avoid problems like transposition, cluttered scores, playback from the middle of a piece using the wrong artic, & incompatible keyswitches between libraries.

I have my own custom articulationID system and a MIDI Scripter (built off Thanos) that automatically sends the appropriate CCs for different libraries. You don't really need the scripter though. The built in ExpressionMap and ArticulationID makers in Logic & Cubase allow you to construct your own really simply.

I agree.

I admit I've never bothered using articulationIDs and still use ye olde keyswitches. What I like about using keys is the fact I can quickly see via the piano roll notes, where my articulations are changing. As far as I can tell, with articulationIDs you don't know which note is using which articulation until you click on that note, is that right?

That's correct. It's one disadvantage relative to ExpressionMaps. One advantage vs. ExpressionMaps is that you can select notes that are not adjacent and set/change their articulations all at once. Such as for instance if you have the violins playing a melody where there are different notes in each bar but similar rhythms, and you want to change all the downbeats to a certain articulation.

Well, not really simple if you need to use midi channels in Logic to cover all the articulations in a single track. Then you do have to get the CCs to the right Midi channel since Logic defaults to sending everything to ch. 1.

Well, not really simple if you need to use midi channels in Logic to cover all the articulations in a single track. Then you do have to get the CCs to the right Midi channel since Logic defaults to sending everything to ch. 1.

Nope. It works fine if you have set it up properly in the Articulation ID set.

you can use key switches or CC to control capsule multis, and can transpose yuey keyswitches.

problem with UACC is that there is no way to layer articulations, which is why flexrouter makes everything a dream kontakt related
This is not true if you use the UACC keyswitch. You can layer as many articulations as you want.

Can you explain how you set up capsule so that you can have all the articulations for Berlin Strings as a multi in the same Kontakt instance and be able to select and layer articulations on the same channel via keyswitches or CCs? The only way I could figure out how to do this was by assigning each Capsule instance to a separate midi channel. But then I have to make sure the CCs get sent to the right midi channel.

Nope. It works fine if you have set it up properly in the Articulation ID set.
I have the IDs set up. But when I assign them to separate midi channels, Logic makes the articulation assignment correctly but it only sends CCs to channel 1 even if I select all channels in the automation drop down. All channels is still only heard by the Kontakt instrument in midi channel 1. I have to assign automation to midi channel 2 if I want the Kontakt instrument in midi channel 2 to get the CCs. I would love to hear how to get the CCs to go to the channel of the selected articulation, short of having a script.

I'm going back and organizing my keyswitch maps for all the libraries I use, and it's crazy that they really are all over the place. Some start at c1, some c0, some c6, some c7, some randomly in between an octave like a#-1.

Am I missing something? Wouldn't it just make sense to make every keyswich start at midi note "0" (or c-1)? It doesn't cover any range for any instrument.
No not really

I have the IDs set up. But when I assign them to separate midi channels, Logic makes the articulation assignment correctly but it only sends CCs to channel 1 even if I select all channels in the automation drop down. All channels is still only heard by the Kontakt instrument in midi channel 1. I have to assign automation to midi channel 2 if I want the Kontakt instrument in midi channel 2 to get the CCs. I would love to hear how to get the CCs to go to the channel of the selected articulation, short of having a script.
You shouldn’t need to touch the automation midi channel. Have you specified which midi channels are assigned to your articulations within the map itself? That should be the key to getting it working.

Sorry if I misunderstand. Jay is right as I’ve had similar working here: UACC working across multiple channels in a single kontakt instance.

You shouldn’t need to touch the automation midi channel. Have you specified which midi channels are assigned to your articulations within the map itself? That should be the key to getting it working.
Yes. And as I said the articulation selection itself works flawlessly. But modwheel, expression and other CCs don’t send properly—only the instrument assigned to channel 1 receives them, and I can only get instruments on other channels to work by manually assigning modwheel and expression to the proper channel.

A script would be pretty easy though:

JavaScript:
function HandleMIDI(event) {
        if (event instanceof ControlChange) {
            for(chann=1;chann<=16;chann++) {
                    event.channel = chann;
                    event.send();
                }
      }
else {
event.send();
}
}

That just copies out all your CC's to all 16 midi channels. if you need SPECIFIC CC's to ONLY go to specific channels based on what the most recent NoteOn ArticulationID was, that's possible too but it becomes more complicated.

Top Bottom