What's new

Does Cubase keep your screensaver from coming on? (Mac)

Yes, it does, Larry, and that has happened for quite some time now, not just with the latest versions. (Mac Pro 2014, Mojave).

Pretty goddamn annnoying, ain't it Frank?
Yes! When I take a break for awhile, I then have to shut down Cubase as well if i want the screen saver to kick in. I believe this annoyance was introduced when Steinberg was trying to address many of the reported issues with video performance, and they felt screen savers could be contributing to the problem in Cubase. Wasn't aware it was also that way on a PC as well though.

Same here. If I had to make a guess, Retrospective Recording may be the culprit.

My computer will not sleep when Cubase is open.

I haven't used screensavers since I stopped using CRT monitors (2004?). I remember Avid recommending turning them off because they could interfere with Pro Tools performance.

Best,

Geoff

Last edited:
Interesting-so there’s no screen burn in with non CRT monitors? Somehow that doesn’t sound right.

No LED display is completely immune to burn-in, but it's a lot harder to cause that problem than it used to be with CRTs. My own experience is that it's never happened with any flat panel display I've owned, despite having completely stopped using screensavers. These days, manufacturers commonly use burn protection techniques that periodically shift the contents of the screen by a few pixels.

I did get occasional image persistence in my 2004 Apple Cinema display when I left it on one image for hours at a time, but it never permanently burned in.

Perhaps it's a YMMV situation; but in my experience, burn-in has been a non-issue for well over a decade.

Best,

Geoff

Last edited:
It does on both Mac and Windows. The most annoying thing is that Cubase will prevent the monitors to go to sleep too.

I wonder whether there's a terminal command you can type in to tell Cubase to stop being so assertive.

But I'm with Geoff - I don't use a screensaver (although I do put my computer to sleep every time I step away).

It does on both Mac and Windows. The most annoying thing is that Cubase will prevent the monitors to go to sleep too.
Mine turn off just fine when Cubase is left open. How are your Cubase power settings set?

I haven't used a screen saver in ages. About 20 years ago you could go to any "optimize your PC for audio" website, and the top of the list is turn off a screensaver.

My 16" MBP with latest Mac OS and latest Cubase Pro doesn't shy away from showing me my pictures when inactive, and I've not changed nor fiddled with any settings other than setting up the screensaver in the first place. I have it on so as to play my pictures rather than save the screen! Simple shake of the mouse is enough to dismiss it.

I have my screens on a dedicated power supply and can turn them off if I want to keep the computer running while I'm away without screens. And I also left them on sometimes for longer periods and never had an issue with burning graphics. Putting the machine to sleep mode never worked. Always had troubles which I thought are due to the rme interface but might be also due to cubase. So sleep mode is turned off on all my music computers.

I use the Mac's word-of-the-day/oracle screensaver. I depend on it to plan my day and life.

Paolo

Wow do people still use screensavers?

Maybe I'm the weird one who never uses them.

I haven't really used a screensaver since...

InsistentLivelyGelada-small.gif
It's an issue for me since I have a big screen which can have some sort of burn in if it displays the same image for too long.
Also it's not just the screensaver but also the standby that stops working, which isn't great for energy consumption.

Reactions: EgM
Top Bottom