What's new

Does anyone here make video games?

(for those not familiar, they've changed their licensing model in a way that has angered their entire userbase)
Understatement of the year! ^_^'
This was a breach of trust on a historic scale. I think even if they fully backpedal the damage is done and most devs will switch engines either midproject or for the next project. The company has shown to be an unreliable business partner that is willing to introduce unpredictable amounts of financial risk to our projects. They've introduced a model that would make some edge cases pay more than they earn, based on intransparent metrics that devs can not verify and have to take on blind faith, via methods that probably are illegal in some places. (I know they already retracted parts of that and likely will retract more, but it is what sparked the backlash). And it would have set the precedent for them basically charging you whatever they want in the future.

reminds me of that time in the recent past when Waves tried to go subscription-only.
I think this one is 10 times worse and Unity will not recover. I don't have any active gamedev projects, but I was planning to use Unity again and now I will pick another engine for sure, probably Godot.
The community basically declared war as a reaction and is aggressively supporting open source engines now to move users away from Unity and that's where I'll go too. TBH Unity has been a shitshow for years and many were only waiting for the "straw that breaks the camel's back" to switch engines, and Unity dropped a fucking anvil on the poor thing.

They are in damage limitation mode now...
They sure are, but "trust" isn't something you can rebuild as easily as you can destroy it, and this isn't the first time they have done something insanely stupid that the community had to nonstop riot against for days for them to retract it. At some point we just have to say "enough is enough". I think Unity pushed their luck too far this time.

Sad to say it but I think you might be right. :emoji_frowning2:

I hope they come back with something incredible that will set everyone's concerns aside once and for all but yeah - it's not likely they can at at this point.

I think this one is 10 times worse and Unity will not recover. I don't have any active gamedev projects, but I was planning to use Unity again and now I will pick another engine for sure, probably Godot.
Yeah I agree. Either Godot or go full UE.

Well, I'm sticking with it for my current project right now but I'm definitely going to consider UE for the next one. But... the next one will be years from now so maybe this is premature

They made some good changes, but like I said, they've shown their true face, trust is hard to rebuild. I'll still be checking out Godot. Don't need the anxiety of dealing with future suprises from Unity in my life, and I guarantuee there will be more!

So the stuff currently going on with Unity (for those not familiar, they've changed their licensing model in a way that has angered their entire userbase) reminds me of that time in the recent past when Waves tried to go subscription-only.
Its literally of no concern to 99.9% of people. No one is ever gonna move from the engine they use. The first reason is because to move from an engine takes a lot of work. The second reason is, 99.9% of people saying they will move from Unity to whatever else, is pretending they are making a video game. They are not. They flirt with assets (just like moonlighters with sample libraries that don't actually work on anything and instead just buy stuff) and enjoy spending all their time talking on discord instead of getting their fingers dirty 😂

For people to think they will make a game and reach the echelons of selling so many copies that any of this will inflict them in some way is laughable. People should just be grateful they get to use incredible software by incredible minds for free. What a time to be alive!

On another note, I bought a 3090 GFX card a couple of months ago and yesterday finally ordered a 24 core i9 5.8ghz 13900k CPU and beast like motherboard to match. FINALLY am building a new computer that... will do :)

One of my last videos with my poor machine struggling haha

I moved to Unreal Engine 5 about 6 months ago. Not just for game development but I'm slowly getting into film VFX and VP...

One last work in progress video on my game JONOWORLD. Been working away from home a lot recently so progress has slowed down but I'll hopefully get to sink a lot of time into later in 2024 and squeezed in a little session creating a perfect holiday destination in Bearback Mountain 😂. Happy New Year everyone :)

Top Bottom