What's new

Doepfer LMK4+ 88 or Arturia KeyLab 88 MkII?

You may wish to consider the software suite that comes with the KL88 MKII. It ain't chopped liver, and the Piano V is very good IMHO, though maybe not in the Pianoteq class, but very tweakable. Arturia pushes out updates very frequently, and I've found their customer support exceptional.

I have the MKII 66 Arturia and love it (for all the dials, and sliders for CC control) and can't speak to the weighted keys on the 88-key variant. If I want piano feel, I still use my Yamaha Motif XS8 for that piano-like feel. I'd not hesitate to recommend the Arturia Keylab line, though. It's really nice hardware.

I have the MKII 66 Arturia and love it (for all the dials, and sliders for CC control) and can't speak to the weighted keys on the 88-key variant. If I want piano feel, I still use my Yamaha Motif XS8 for that piano-like feel. I'd not hesitate to recommend the Arturia Keylab line, though. It's really nice hardware.
I mean, if I use my sample libraries then expression and volume is controlled by the faders. I'd only need the weighted keys for everything velocity related, like pizzicati, staccati, percussive intruments and piano sounds, etc. I don't need something that's like a real piano but just gets the job done well.

It's hard to make a decision, maybe I'll still try to find a few digital pianos and masterkeyboards in stores to test them out.

There really is no point in getting a controller that is close to a "piano action", unless piano VIs are your main concern...as long as the keybed feels good to you, and suits your needs...don't get caught up on the "piano like" keys. I honestly would not think to use an acoustic piano to play organ or do synth lines or percussion...it's always a give and take with MIDI controllers. My criteria for a weighted action is that it needs to be quiet...the Roland A88 MKII I think is as quiet as they come...plus I do like the action and it's good for many things. It has a good footprint (depth wise), it's flat on top for me to place my Monogram CC units...and minimal buttons.

EDIT: One thing I forgot to mention...overall, the controller needs to be inspirational to play. I'm a pianist, so it needs to feel like I'm playing effortlessly...not struggling or wishing I had better keys.

Yeah, I really wish I could get my hands on the Keylab MKII before buying it just to try out the key action. From all the reviews it seems like one half hates it, the other half likes it.

I am also interested in this answer. The Komplete Kontrol s88 just has the worse keybed EVER (clickety loud mess.)

Interesting to hear, I have the s88 and it doesn’t make any noise, at least no noise that’s noticeable enough for me to be able to call it an issue

The more I read up on everything, the more this drives me crazy. If it's only about the key action (I have the Korg NanoKontrol2 for faders and CC automation) then I probably should get a stage piano with midi in/out as you've discussed here.

Does anyone have good recommendations for those? Something in the price range between 900-1200€ with a good keybed?
If you have enough space : Kawai VPC1....

Interesting to hear, I have the s88 and it doesn’t make any noise, at least no noise that’s noticeable enough for me to be able to call it an issue
Consider yourself lucky.....for now. :( (mine has gotten worse the older it is.)

Cool - let us know on the Roland A88MK2.
So now he's finally here. No beauty but well proportioned. First I assigned some buttons and pads (Prgm & CC's), now it's starting to be fun and you have a lot more options.
I find the mechanics/keys a bit hard to get used to for me (pressure point further down, let go), at least the keys-sound is not as annoying as with the KK88MK2, all keys rattle the same, so to say. The velocity curve is very good (6 options) in my opinion. I miss a bit of aftertouch on synths and I can't get the joystick (Midi CC with Logic) to take over that at the moment. I'll keep it for now and have to get used to it and hope that the keys don't get louder after time ;)

Yeah, I really wish I could get my hands on the Keylab MKII before buying it just to try out the key action. From all the reviews it seems like one half hates it, the other half likes it.
You definitely want to try it first. Honestly, I couldn't bear to play it. I literally chose to use a Native Instruments M32 travel keyboard with micro keys instead of using the Keylab in the the 12 months I borrowed one. Each to their own though and good luck. :laugh:

I own and think the key lab mk2 is great considering the many ports on the back for pedals and cv. I'm not a fan of their faders, rarely use them. Keys and build are solid. I had the NI KK 88, just didn't feel right for me, and control out side of their ecosystem left much to be desired.

This thread is a big help. I have an A88mk1 that's just stopped turning on. Not the power supply - since it also doesn't work powered by usb. Sigh. More e waste - will find someone to look at it I guess, but for now I need an alternative.
A88 was actually an issue for me because it was too wide for my desk. They are VERY wide. If you get one (I think they are good value all round, even the mkii with the different keybed) just make sure your desk bay for the keyboard isn't only 140cm wide. There's quite a few that are only that wide... my work studio has a buso that they customised to be wider, and my home setup has a desk by audio housing (this one : https://gearspace.com/board/product...nces-compact-88-studio-desk.html#post15541044)

Anyways - I'll be buying quickly. No Studio logic in sydney at the moment (stock!). NI SL88 seems in stock. Arturia seems to have stock. Roland A88mkii might have stock but I'd love it to fit in the desk.... maybe I'll get a cheapy and wait (hahahahaha never wait for technology!)

Anyway - this thread helps wade through the weeds...

This thread is a big help. I have an A88mk1 that's just stopped turning on. Not the power supply - since it also doesn't work powered by usb. Sigh. More e waste - will find someone to look at it I guess, but for now I need an alternative.
A88 was actually an issue for me because it was too wide for my desk. They are VERY wide. If you get one (I think they are good value all round, even the mkii with the different keybed) just make sure your desk bay for the keyboard isn't only 140cm wide. There's quite a few that are only that wide... my work studio has a buso that they customised to be wider, and my home setup has a desk by audio housing (this one : https://gearspace.com/board/product...nces-compact-88-studio-desk.html#post15541044)

Anyways - I'll be buying quickly. No Studio logic in sydney at the moment (stock!). NI SL88 seems in stock. Arturia seems to have stock. Roland A88mkii might have stock but I'd love it to fit in the desk.... maybe I'll get a cheapy and wait (hahahahaha never wait for technology!)

Anyway - this thread helps wade through the weeds...
I just got an A88MKII. Love it so far. I got an adjustable desk and have the a88 slid under on a Z stand. But they are wide. Luckily my Monogram fits right on top. As well as my Akai LPK25

I got the M-Audio Hammer 88 pro and I'm loving it. All the knobs an faders work great and the keybed is the perfect compromise between the light piano action that some of the roland models have and the (too) heavy action the fatar keybeds have. I actually was able to try out a fatar TP40 keybed and tbh it almost felt as if there was something wrong with it. I've played quite a few real grand pianos in my life and none of them had keybeds this sluggish. I really don't like the heavy fatar keybeds.

The M-Audio is not too light, not too heavy and it feels close to a real piano. The lower keys are even harder to press down than the higher keys, it feels really great. And you get a bunch of cool VST instruments with it and the remapping of the knobs faders and even drum pads is so easy and fast, I was able to completely tailor the Hammer 88 Pro to my needs for orchestral music production.

Anyone tried the Korg D1? It has the RH3 keybed so hammer action from what I'm reading. No wheels but I can get around that. $699

I've used a KX88 for twenty odd years and always thought it felt great but have struggled with it's velocity limits (15-120) and no velocity curves. I've borrowed a Yamaha S08 and am amazed at how much better the velocity response is from what I'm used to. I'm thinking I'll just use this until some midi 2.0 controllers come out because I really think/hope that will be a big change for the better.

I just got an A88MKII. Love it so far. I got an adjustable desk and have the a88 slid under on a Z stand. But they are wide. Luckily my Monogram fits right on top. As well as my Akai LPK25
I got the S88 mkii in desperation. There really wasn't much to choose from, and it had to be under 140cm. I miss the roland keybed. But it will get me thru this project, and then I can re-visit. These things don't tend to loose tonnes of value quickly. I'll treat the drop in value as rent :)

I got the S88 mkii in desperation. There really wasn't much to choose from, and it had to be under 140cm. I miss the roland keybed. But it will get me thru this project, and then I can re-visit. These things don't tend to loose tonnes of value quickly. I'll treat the drop in value as rent :)
My decision for the Roland was actually key noise...or lack there of. It's fairly quiet. I know everyone says that an acoustic piano is also noisy, and that it is...however, an acoustic piano is also a lot louder. We use headphones or play softly, or have our speakers low...so these noises are much more apparent. Anyway...I have a friend of mine that is a top Latin music producer, and he is using the NI S88 to play Salsa...he loves it.

Top Bottom