What's new

Do you think Apple will announce new M2 based Macs during the upcoming WWDC22 Event June 6-10 ?

they use 3 very large fans running very slow to cool the radiator so very quite
Thanks for the feedback. :thumbsup:

That's what matters to me. To have Super Quiet PCs. My current machine is super noisy, I got used to the hum the fans make, but when I turn it OFF, I finally can enjoy silence, which is impossible to experience if my Master PC is running. Unless I use headphones, which I hate using when composing, or mixing.

they use 3 very large fans running very slow to cool the radiator so very quite
Don’t forget the noise of the pump and the gurgle of fluid if you have any air in the system! I also don’t think you want to run an i9 without any additional case fans.

I always wonder what you guys want with even more power, PC or Mac. I am running a MacStudio M1 Max, and a PC Slave via VEP. Full orchestral templates, hundreds of tracks, and I am mixing and mastering inside the project. My machines are still completely bored by that. So, are you planning world domination or what?

Yeah it’s good. But in general it wasn’t regarded as a good Mac Pro and many profesionals really poopooed it at the time. And seen as a failed Apple product
And nine years later we are here discussing of marginally more powerful computers, with non-expandable limited memory and storage, questionable design, possibly noisier, and drooling for them! :P

Paolo

An M2 Mac Mini with 24gb of ram would be a lovely sweet spot for those of us who don't regularly use multi-mic orchestral setups.

Any thoughts on if/when that might happen? Assuming it would be very low hanging fruit from a technical perspective and more down to supply and marketing..

An M2 Mac Mini with 24gb of ram would be a lovely sweet spot for those of us who don't regularly use multi-mic orchestral setups.

Any thoughts on if/when that might happen? Assuming it would be very low hanging fruit from a technical perspective and more down to supply and marketing..
October at the earliest I would say.

Frankly, I'd really want a Mini with an M2 'Pro' that maybe could go to 32Gb or 48GB of RAM.

October at the earliest I would say.

Frankly, I'd really want a Mini with an M2 'Pro' that maybe could go to 32Gb or 48GB of RAM.
Yeah, that would be a great choice. I guess it depends on how near Apple want to "nudge up" to the Studio spec.

That's what's interesting to me now - these new CPU's are so flexible (iPad Pro, fan-less in the Air, cooled in the 'Pro) that the choice and machine availability is as much down to Apple's chosen market position as it is technical considerations. At least that's how it appears.

Hi,

I'm going to wait for the next generation Mac Book Pro laptops, with the more powerful M2 processor options to be out, most likely during 2023.

Meanwhile, I decided to invest into replacing my 9 year old Studio computers. PCs (not Macs). I will be commissioning a custom PC developer to build two i9 Intel PCs. with the latest, and fastest processors, 128 GB of RAM in each PC, and water-cooled system, no fans, if that's feasible. I hate the noise fans make.

I also wonder when Intel will be able to compete with the Apple Silicon M1/M2/...etc Micro Processors Apple is producing ? They surely know they can't just be sitting idle, given the current situation. Especially the energy efficient Silicon Processors. Which is one of the biggest issues Intel has at this time with their high-energy, and heat generating processors. Also battery life, which is a big thing for laptops.

Cheers,
Muziksculp
AM5 is coming from AMD…why are you even contemplating Intel?

I’ve been building custom PCs for decades and it’s amazes me the Intel bias in this forum….

It's LPDDR5 yes. But the price changes with the density of the die. 8GB die is usually the cheapest.

AM5 is coming from AMD…why are you even contemplating Intel?

I’ve been building custom PCs for decades and it’s amazes me the Intel bias in this forum….
I don't build them, I have them custom made for me by a company. They prefer Intel. I asked them about AMD, but they prefer using Intel for Audio Workstations.

This isn't true on the laptop side, only the desktop. There is no base laptop config with the Max - they all start as M1 Pro, with Max as an upgrade. As soon as you select a Max CPU on the laptop, it adds the extra cost for the CPU + $400 to upgrade the RAM from 16 to 32GB. You can then upgrade to 64GB for another $800. It is interesting that the RAM price is so low on the Studio, though.

Edit: the only explanation I have for the cheap RAM upgrade on the Max/Ultra is that the base price on the 32GB Max and 64GB Ultra is effectively subsidizing the RAM cost (so the base configs are effectively priced a bit high).
There is a third option to order a 16" MacBook Pro Max! Seems to be new.

M2 8 to 24 costs 400$. +16
M1 Pro 16 to 32 costs 400$. +16
M1 Max from 32 to 64 costs $400. +32 (speaking for the M1 Max base models)

That is, in relation twice the price. Maybe you mean the same, since one can only upgrade the MAX to 64GB. Still, the upgrade on the Max is half the price.
It may be for design reasons, but I still find the prices for RAM in the entry-level models much too high. I think $400 for 32 GB for the Studio is more appropriate.

There is a third option to order a 16" MacBook Pro Max! Seems to be new.

M2 8 to 24 costs 400$. +16
M1 Pro 16 to 32 costs 400$. +16
M1 Max from 32 to 64 costs $400. +32 (speaking for the M1 Max base models)

That is, in relation twice the price. Maybe you mean the same, since one can only upgrade the MAX to 64GB. Still, the upgrade on the Max is half the price.
It may be for design reasons, but I still find the prices for RAM in the entry-level models much too high. I think $400 for 32 GB for the Studio is more appropriate.
You're right - I fooled myself by looking at the base M1 Pro MacBook and it shows the 64GB upgrade as $800, but that's when you're at the base 16GB of the Pro. As soon as you select the M1 Max, the 32 to 64GB upgrade drops to $400. However, it appears this isn't new - I checked the remaining Intel Mac mini pricing, and it's $200 to go from 8 to 16GB, $400 to go from 16 to 32GB, and another $400 to go from 32 to 64GB - the same pattern as on the M1 Max/Ultra, where the big RAM upgrade is ½ the price of the lower upgrades.

I know that Apple used to be famously expensive for all RAM upgrades, and they adjusted prices down at some point, but maybe they adjusted more at the top end (lower sales volume) than the bottom?

Last edited:
I always wonder what you guys want with even more power, PC or Mac. I am running a MacStudio M1 Max, and a PC Slave via VEP. Full orchestral templates, hundreds of tracks, and I am mixing and mastering inside the project. My machines are still completely bored by that. So, are you planning world domination or what?
This is EXACTLY what I have been wondering about! Do you have 128gb of ram and what's your experience with 'unified' memory in terms of VEP usage? Are you doing a lot of multi-mic and legatos?

Thanks in advance!

Top Bottom