What's new

Do You Also Feel Performance Samples GUI is Ugly?

PancakesBear

I feel like the Performance Samples GUI is unnecessarily ugly. I believe the point they are trying to make is that the sound is the only thing that matters. And yet... if you are someone who believes in the sound and therefore will spend many hours interacting with the GUI... would it really hurt to have something a little more "feels good man" integrated into the visual component of the interaction?

To jog your memory:

And I GET IT. There is a purposeful contrast between the lushness and beauty of the samples and then the completely disconnected careless utilitarian stoicism in the GUI. I GET IT, okay. But now I think I would still would prefer something prettier. Am I alone in this?

I personally don't mind the "minimalistic" approach. But on this specific case it starts becoming a bit clumsy / too busy for my taste. He should simply put a second / third page IMO.

Not at all.
Better than having a huge knob in the middle.

I've seen someone complain about the old Cinesamples GUI, which I don't get either.
Its not like a better GUI makes the sound or music better.

Although, accessability is important. Meaning, being able to access all parameters easily without clicking through various tabs etc.

I don't mind it. I wouldn't like more pages, I don't need more clicks. I feel that the logo doesn't have to be that big. It takes too much of the space. I like the upcoming design with faders bit more but it stays minimalistic.

It's definitely nowhere near the worst UI I've seen, but I agree that this UI look doesn't really do any favors. It's nice that everything is on one page, but in this example it does look needlessly cluttered and...I dunno, maybe I'm relatively alone in wanting an at least decently appealing UI for whatever I'm using.

Though the clearly visible "not for purists" tagline is more of a turn-off for me, personally.

I don’t think much about it – and since it’s a small company, I like that they spend their resources the way they do (focus on expressivity, recording enough layers etc). But I would have preferred a design which at a glance told me if I was looking at Pacific, Vista or Con Moto. I usually use UI screenshots as track icons in Logic, and they all look the same with PS – while Spitfire, for instance, has different between SCS/SSS etc.

Last edited:
I love this minimalistic "vanilla Kontakt" design. I don't mind the upcoming updates with sliders, but I'll still be a bit sad to see the classic knobs go...

I agree it’s nowhere near as appealing as some other gui’s (like CSS), but I would gladly would trade an even uglier gui for keyswitches!!!! :)

This is not a synth, so you're not going to be looking at it very often. Make a template and you'll almost never be opening Kontakt windows.

@MikeT99 you can just load up multiple patches in one instance and use make an expression map or keyswitches out of the midi channels.

I like the minimalistic approach. Maybe a little refresh needed while still keeping the minimalistic?

God... how I can't stand those Kontakt libraries with their overly elaborate 3D interfaces that take forever to load.

This is not a synth, so you're not going to be looking at it very often. Make a template and you'll almost never be opening Kontakt windows.

@MikeT99 you can just load up multiple patches in one instance and use make an expression map or keyswitches out of the midi channels.
Yep, that's what I eventually did :)

I like the minimalistic approach. Maybe a little refresh needed while still keeping the minimalistic?

God... how I can't stand those Kontakt libraries with their overly elaborate 3D interfaces that take forever to load.
I've worked with Keepforest Trailer kits, and, oh Lord, those are a HUGE pain!!! They're enormous, take a whole lot of screen estate, and cumbersome.
But I fear the gui I most dread is Kontakt itself. It's far from intuitive, not fast (many windows don't respond to Enter to close, etc.), and truly complex.

I feel like the Performance Samples GUI is unnecessarily ugly. I believe the point they are trying to make is that the sound is the only thing that matters. And yet... if you are someone who believes in the sound and therefore will spend many hours interacting with the GUI... would it really hurt to have something a little more "feels good man" integrated into the visual component of the interaction?

To jog your memory:

PSamples.png

And I GET IT. There is a purposeful contrast between the lushness and beauty of the samples and then the completely disconnected careless utilitarian stoicism in the GUI. I GET IT, okay. But now I think I would still would prefer something prettier. Am I alone in this?

You spend 'many hours' interacting with the GUI of your libraries? How is that even possible?

You are not alone.

But as much as I dislike the interface, this is the first time I've seen it, and I've already known for many months that I like the libraries, so I don't feel it matters much.

Last edited:
Never judge a book by its cover.

And yet....we all judge the book by its cover.

Think about it. You've just written the most incredible novel, you've poured your heart and soul into it. And the publisher says we need a good cover. And you say "Let's keep it simple, the cover doesn't matter? it's the words on the pages that matter"

Ok, this analogy perhaps a bit dramatic for sample library music. But why not take a little bit of time to present your finished product with a glossy finish.

IMHO Cinematic Studio gets it perfect, a nice looking and not overly complicated GUI.

Just for full disclosure, I am inspired by a great GUI, and Performance Samples GUI is awful (but I do like their libraries, so there's that)

Top Bottom