What's new

Do 3D films still cause Nausea?

cc64

Hi all,

a buddy of mine just invited me to go see Avatar in 3D. I recall being real nauseous as a kid when i saw 3D films...

Anyone can confirm that it is a thing of the past?

Best,

Claude

I got a little nauseous when Avatar first started, but after a few minutes my eyes and brain adapted.

Thanks Reegs,

dumb question, if you take off the glasses can you at least see the picture in 2D or is it distorted...?

Best,

Claude

There are 4 3D formats being used to show AVATAR in 3D depending on the theater you choose to see it at. All are differing technologies, some much newer than others. As a kid...you may have felt more nauseous due to the fact that the 3D technology and polarized lenses used back then were still very much in their infancy.

IMAX 3D is great and immersive due to screen size, but it is actually using the oldest 3D technology on the market with thin plastic polarized lenses that have problems. Some people find with this form of 3D that they do get a bit nauseous and their eyes get tired after a while.

Two newer 3D technologies which are better are RealD and Dolby3D. RealD and Dolby3D use circular polarized lenses...are projected digitally...and do not have the ghosting effect IMAX 3D can have when you turn your head...and they also do not have any color change or degradation from the lenses used like IMAX 3D will have. Dolby3D is probably slightly better. it creats 3D by using ever so slightly different wavelengths (a couple nanometers) of red, blue and green for each image and each lens of the glasses filter for that specific wavelength. This is how each eye sees a different image. The glasses have actual glass lenses and are pretty cool.

The newest 3D technology that AVATAR is being shown in is XpanD...which is rare to see. Only the big cites have it now...the Arclight in LA is the only one here outside of private studio screening rooms. The AVATAR premiere was shown there with XpanD technology. With this one...there are actual electronics in the glasses that sync directly with the projector and electronically shutter the glass lenses in sync with what is being projected. In this way...you see a full resolution and fully lit frame for each eye. there is no ghosting, no color degradation and is supposed to be a much better overall 3D experience.

But I have to say...I really enjoyed the Dolby 3D presentation over the XpanD personally.

its many years that i cannot either play 3d shoot games as i get completely nauseated after few minutes.

@Mike

clever of you to refer to my Avatar in this thread ; ) For the record, last time i watched hockey Guy Lafleur was at his peak as were the Habs. The tuque was just to irritate Ned during the series in 2008 and it worked for a while but we became friends in real life. Don't know much about Gomez but i'm looking forward to see Michelle Rodriguez in 3D.

@Brian

thanks for the great explanation. I don't think they have XpanD at the Montreal Megaplex but it's not Imax either.

Best,

Claude

I just got back from seeing this! I actually was able to drag my dad to see it!

WOW what a film it just did everything right. It was fantastic in 3d. Didn't get any Nausea or anything. Avatar really sucks you in and you just lose yourself in this world and it's characters.

I didn't have a problem with the Glasses, I actually forgot they were on.
Great stuff!

Last time I went to a 3D movie - maybe ten years ago, a kid's movie that I don't remember - I had to leave after about three minutes.

The problem I have is that my eyes are very different from one another and the image doesn't fuse. I see well with both eyes, but that's the key: they work together. My right eye on its own is incredibly astigmatic and nearsighted, in fact the halfwit at the DMV made me get a letter from my eye doctor saying that I didn't need glasses to drive (he was too stupid and stubborn to listen to me when I told him that he just needed to test me with both eyes open!).

The irony is that I've been extremely fortunate with my eyes. At age 53 I'm not close to needing reading glasses, and my night vision hasn't diminished one iota.

Anyway, my guess is that the 3D glasses are going to change the way the work is distributed between your eyes regardless of the technology. I'm going to try to watch Avatar, but I'm not optimistic that I'll be able to.

A friend of mine threw up. She legged it to the ladies just in time, about half way through the film.

I had a headache going in, and did find the first half a bit wearing (we were sitting right at the front). Eventually I adjusted I think! I saw UP a while ago, and that seemed perfect.

I think that the trick for 3D is to try not to focus on things that are not in focus. The 3D tricks you into thinking you should be able to shift focus to things that are deeper in field, but you can't because it was still captured with cine lenses and their enhanced depth-of-field.

Once I became a willing participant in the experience, my headache went away.

-Stu

Brian Ralston gave a good break down of the different technologies used for showing 3D pics.

My brother-in-law saw Avatar at the IMAX 3D and said he had a big headache at the end of the movie and that many images where out of focus to him... That would tend to confirm what Brian said about IMAX 3D using the older technology.

Well, we saw it last night and I'm happy to say that the 3d effect did work for me in spite of my eyes - way better than last time I tried. I did get a little queasy, but it wasn't bad.

The idea of 3d television isn't appealing to me, though. I wouldn't want that all the time.

The 3D experience with Avatar was indeed awesome. The entire audience was transfixed - I could not believe that many people could be that quiet for that long. I usually have problems with the older 3D technology but had no problems with this.

are 3d glasses one use only?

No. I always take home my RealD glasses from the theatre and use them all the time. I'm looking at my hand right now with them and it's totally in 3D!

Good to know... ;)

Top Bottom