What's new

DIY studio desk fight !!!!

I've used this custom desk that we sell for more than ten years, as I mentioned in the Commercial Announcements section. But it's based on the same concept as the DIY one. The picture below is from 2005.

It's built mostly out of Ultimate Support hardware. The piano keys are at piano height (about 29-1/2"); the desktop is on drawer slides over the top of it to go between writing and playing positions; and the bridge shelf (on speaker stands) holds the speakers and screens above the sliding desktop.

You're always the right distance from your speakers and screen, and the keyboard and mouse are always in the right position.

xJYJv4Z.jpg

So I thought I'd chime in since I've just completed my first true home studio setup. This is the first time I've actually got a room for myself, which I love!

IMG_20170720_194552.jpg

My desk is build from the greatest invention coming from Ikea ever: the mighty Kallax.

It is actually just a set of four of these next to each other in front of me, and one on the left behind the Nektar Impact. They are filled with LPs and CDs, and some theory books as well.

IMG_20170720_194557.jpg

Putting four of these next to each other means there is ample room for all my stuff. As you can see I can easily place three monitors at arms length, everything on the desk is perfectly positioned so I can reach it without having to move. Very cool. You can also see a remote control for the light in the studio, which can go through all colors of the rainbow. Love me some blue/purple light for those loungy nights!

IMG_20170720_194603.jpg

The leftmost monitor is a recent addition. I put the Nektar in front of there, complete with an additional mouse and keyboard, making this an ideal synth workstation, whereas the Studiologic SL880 is my grand playing keyboard (and yes, mine works perfectly!)

IMG_20170720_194612.jpg

The Akai is for inputting commands like making notes legato, turning snap on/off and so on. I actually use the drumpads to switch between quantize and grid resolutions. As you can see, there is nothing between the speakers and my ears. They are placed at a perfect height by sitting on a pair of, you guessed it, Kallax closets. Almost the whole of the walls is covered in foam. Even James Dean is modified to be one big absorption panel.

Overall, I really love my studio, and am not planning on leaving anytime soon!

Attachments

• IMG_20170720_194552.jpg
    IMG_20170720_194552.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 84
so here's mine. i found this place which cuts freeform MDF boards and went for a light arc instead of a strictly rectangular shape for the desk. I found it really makes a difference. the surface is is a natural laminate which helps with the direct reflections from the speakers. the desktop, without the stand, was about €300.-
the speaker and monitor stands are custom made and based on three heavy duty keyboard stands from K&M. all we did was to saw the middle bit out and welded the outer parts together again. the absorbers in between the speakers and the stands are rubbers which are normally used for heavy machines standing on shop floors.

IMG_5211.JPG

the monitor controller is held by magnets, which i find a simple way to hang something from above

IMG_5213.JPG

i always had a 88 keys keyboard and i still have it (in the back, where my other keyboards are). interestingly enough, i don't miss it. the 61 keys on the desk i prefer by now, i find it more ergonomic than integrating the keyboard into the desk. i hardly go to the bigger keyboard and play there these days.

IMG_5214.JPG

Last edited:
i always had a 88 keys keyboard and i still have it (in the back, where my other keyboards are). interestingly enough, i don't miss it. the 61 keys on the desk i prefer by now, i find it more ergonomic than integrating the keyboard into the desk. i hardly go to the bigger keyboard and play there these days.

Looks great - I love it.
Re the 88 vs 61. This is the approach I've taken now. For me, 61 synth keys on the desk is a lot more comfortable for long working hours than bending over 88 hammers. My arms are supported all day long. I've tried to do the 88-in-front-the-desk so many times now and just can't seem to make it work for me.

Granted, it's a personal thing though.

I was able to get an old desk from Guitar Center for free which I cut off the top and laid a board across to hold my screens and monitors. I think I spent $30 on the board at Home Depot.
IMG_0147.JPG IMG_0145.JPG

Built this piece of shit back in 2011. Haha. The hutch rack mounts put displays too high. I'm looking to build a new one soon but I paid about $150 in lumber and hardware and used my friends shop to construct it. Took a day to build and a day to stain and seal. The desk top detaches from the two side legs to make it less of a pain in the ass. Lessons learned? Use a simple flat desktop and outsource to a rack shelf. It would be easier to keep clean. Picture is from 2014.

Attachments

• DSCN2241.JPG
    DSCN2241.JPG
    178.9 KB · Views: 131
I am guessing that Mark and Alex are not primarily pianists?

Yep, I'm a pianist and much prefer 88 weights for performing. But for the work I do, I simply don't need all those keys in front of me. It's a trade off.

I'll be getting 88 weights at some point for the studio, but they'll be set aside in the corner for when I need them.

You mean when they start making good ones again Alex? :)
Although Jay Asher's new controller certainly looks the part.

@babylonwaves Mark, yours is certainly my favorite setup. So streamlined and minimal, just love it, very inspiring and no clutter. Where do you have your Mac hidden btw ?

Yep, I'm a pianist and much prefer 88 weights for performing. But for the work I do, I simply don't need all those keys in front of me. It's a trade off.

I'll be getting 88 weights at some point for the studio, but they'll be set aside in the corner for when I need them.

Not a trade off I would be willing to make, but to each their own of course.

Who needs furniture? Just your old computers and road case ends to hold up your keyboard....oh - any table will do for your monitors.(Broken Link Removed)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 78
Top Bottom