What's new

Divisimate | Realtime MIDI Divisi Engine | Release Thread

Thank you for your kind words guys, we are really trying to do this right and be transparent!

Which mics would you reccommend to trying to get closer to the "broad-mix" you use in the video?
Still in LA right now, so I don't have a chance to check right now, but the choice of mix is really just a matter of personal preference. You can essentially play around with the levels and EQ until you find something that sounds right to you personally :)

Will the next walkthroughs of the template use Sample Modelling-setup for brass, and Aron Venture + Audio Modelling-setup for woodwinds?
We want to do a walkthrough for every teaser with the original setup, but it's possible that other videos come out first, as we've got some announcements coming up!

Now I understand what those numbers mean (S1/S2). So only body and then humanization-settings in DivisiMate making sure no phasing is happening when recording? Or do you microtune and change individual settings for each violin too?
The instrument bodies and the different positionings within EAReverb 2 are the key. They reduce the phasing quite a bit. You could also detune every instrument slightly as well and switch up more parameters, but Peter .

If I understand the manual correctly, CC values are randomly added or substracted on every CC message change, am I right (so no jitter or random LFO modulating the values)?
The humanization engine is something that we want to rework at some point, so this is bound to change but right now the different humanization types do the following:
Note Timing: Delay every note by a different random amount of milliseconds
Velocity: Add or subtract a different random value to the velocity of every note.
CC Timing: Delay the CC Data of a given part by a constant quasi-random value for each complete part. As you said, this is more useful when you are playing slower parts and crescendos.
CC Value: Add or subtract a quasi-random value to CCs for each part

I would love to set up a more complex humanization engine at some point that relies on slow oscillating individual functions instead of random values. Go a couple of ideas there, but that's for another time.

Would you consider implementing the option to filter specific CC numbers?
Considered and on the list. We already manually exempted the Sustain Pedal and the UACC controller from humanization. Will see how we can make this kind of choice available to the user in the future. Probably not easy to do, but could be worth it.
Thanks for the suggestion!

So we'll get the discount code for Divisimate from Audio Modeling? Great. :)
Yes, indeed! The mails with the discount codes went out on Friday. But if you didn't sign up for their newsletter they are not allowed to send it to you because of GDPR laws. So if you didn't get it, just hit up their support to receive your code :)

Best,
Steffen

Yes, indeed! The mails with the discount codes went out on Friday. But if you didn't sign up for their newsletter they are not allowed to send it to you because of GDPR laws. So if you didn't get it, just hit up their support to receive your code :)

Best,
Steffen
How can you apply the discount code? There is no field for entering it in the Audio Modeling shop. I couldn't find it at least.

The instrument bodies and the different positionings within EAReverb 2 are the key. They reduce the phasing quite a bit. You could also detune every instrument slightly as well and switch up more parameters, but Peter .

Great information as always, thank you! What did you mean with the last sentence here? :)

Hi Steffen and many thanks for the responsiveness on this forum!

I'd have a feature request that'd be greatly useful for rhythmic explorations.
It concerns the Repeater plugin.
The option of "Note Value changes via CC#".
One CC# for 1/4 - 1/8 - 1/16
One CC# for Straight - Triplets - Dotted

*edit: I forgot ablout this one...
One CC# to bypass the Repeater

I greatly enjoyed working with Divisimate so far, well thought piece of software, really!

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

I did a little live stream yesterday night and here is the full video featuring and exploring Divisimate:

Hey everyone,

I did a little live stream yesterday night and here is the full video featuring and exploring Divisimate:

Is it possible to use multiple Divisimate instances in one session?
Spontaneously I thought a bit about the divisi kontakt script, where Divisimate goes far beyond that.

Great review.

Is it possible to use multiple Divisimate instances in one session?
Spontaneously I thought a bit about the divisi kontakt script, where Divisimate goes far beyond that.

Great review.
Divisimate sits between your Midi-Keyboard and your DAW. You can easily switch between presets with CC31 or the IOS/Android-App, so there is no need for multiple instances.

Divisimate sits between your Midi-Keyboard and your DAW. You can easily switch between presets with CC31 or the IOS/Android-App, so there is no need for multiple instances.

Sure there’s a need for more than one. 32 ports is nice but doesn’t handle all of the chairs in an orchestra - certainly not in mine.

Sure there’s a need for more than one. 32 ports is nice but doesn’t handle all of the chairs in an orchestra - certainly not in mine.

I dare to say that you didn't really think through your argument? Yes, you have 32 ports, but with just ONE preset :) ... every page is giving you 20 presets and you have 5 pages available! So all in all you have 3200 ports. I mean, you can just provide 5-10 voices while playing in realtime anyway if you are a versatile keyboard player. You can e.g. take care of strings in one go, then change presets to brass and so on. You could record first chairs first and then the rest or whatever you want.

Yes, there are presets, but a port is a port. If I want to be able to combine things in any way I see fit without changing inputs on tracks (those kinds of changes are the opposite of why a composer would use a template) then more than 32 ports or independent channels per port would be useful. If I have 15 instruments in my woodwinds, 8 horns, 6 trumpets, 6 bones, two tubas, and strings with 9 divisi sections that are also going to first chairs - all with humanization and/or transposition - I have exceeded 32 ports.

Yes, there are presets, but a port is a port. If I want to be able to combine things in any way I see fit without changing inputs on tracks (those kinds of changes are the opposite of why a composer would use a template) then more than 32 ports or independent channels per port would be useful. If I have 15 instruments in my woodwinds, 8 horns, 6 trumpets, 6 bones, two tubas, and strings with 9 divisi sections that are also going to first chairs - all with humanization and/or transposition - I have exceeded 32 ports.

Sorry, if I don't understand, but even if you have to change ports, whether it will be for string ensemble only or ALL first chairs or all low instruments or whatever, isn't this still faster than doing it all in the traditional way to rerecord or copy/paste parts or, the worst, split ensemble stuff you played with both hands?

If a positive change is possible, one should gravitate towards it. I think it’s an odd philosophical approach to a new piece of software to want to limit it simply because things are comparatively more difficult without it.

That depends on the template you use and whether you want to hook all of your orchestra up to Divisimate.
With triple woodwinds (3 Flutes, 3 Oboes, 3 Clarinets, 3 Bassoons), standard size brass (4 Horns, 3 trumpets, 3 trombones, 1 tuba) and 5-part string section you got 28 ports filled, giving you 4 ports for keys&auxiliaries, choir or split string sections. If you go only double woodwinds, there's more room for other instruments.
That was our train of thought when we were looking for the right number of ports that would feel most useful and least overwhelming to the majority of users.

Some people like to use Divisimate only for their woodwind or brass section, while they prefer to program the rest as they did before. And as Alex said - there is also the option to route and record one section at a time. You can set up complex Presets for the strings on Port 1-32, do the same with the woodwinds and brass, and go switching presets and sections by record enabling the right tracks with VCAs, groups or folders. How you implement Divisimate into your workflow is up to you.

Opening multiple instances of Divisimate won't double the number of ports though, I wish it was that easy.
We've had a few users reaching out to us asking if the number of ports could be extended for similar reasons as you are describing, and we are not at all opposed to that idea. With a template this big the 32 ports can indeed become a limitation. This is not a small change though, and we have some things in the queue that need to have higher priority right now, like improving the usability for Logic users.

If a positive change is possible, one should gravitate towards it. I think it’s an odd philosophical approach to a new piece of software to want to limit it simply because things are comparatively more difficult without it.

Just trying to get my head around it, but maybe I am not able to dig in your workflow, but if you have a tool which lets you create divisi on the fly in just two or three runs ... how it is more inefficient as if you sit down and even just split, let's say, one "two hands played" arrangement totally by hand and even copy it to other channels?

No worries if you don't want to explain, but even if Divisimate had 256 ports. Then you would still be able to record ONE go with just ten fingers.

Probably should keep this to myself, but Nextmidi sort of developed a rocket which can fly you to many places! :D ... and people complain that it can't dive or cook dinner! :D

Last edited:
No worries if you don't want to explain, but even if Divisimate had 256 ports. Then you would still be able to record ONE go with just ten fingers.
I think with transposition and different voicing setups it's not about the number of notes you are playing on the keyboard but the number of instruments you want to play those notes.
After all you can route a note multiple times to different instruments. A simple triad on the keyboard can spread into all kinds of different voicings and orchestrations with many instruments, since all the notes of the chord are there, just need to be spread around in different ways with routings and transpositions.

Top Bottom