What's new

Discovered a little "oops!" gem in old Engelbert Humperdinck recording

Polkasound

I was listening to the studio recording of The Shadow of Your Smile by Engelbert Humperdinck, and my fine-tuned engineer ears caught something funny. It's so faint I had to put on headphones to figure out what it was. Listen very closely and you'll hear someone in the background feeding Engelbert a little help with the lyrics.

"I will be remembering...... (the shadow!) the shadow of your smile!"

View attachment The Shadow.mp3

You've got better ears than me! I can't hear anything out of place here using headphones. But it always amazes me what little details people pick up on.
Engelbert sings "I will be remembering..." and then the flutes play A - G - F#, and it's right after they hit that F# you can hear someone quickly saying "The shadow!"

I can't hear it. I thought at one point that I could hear something that could have been a voice... and then I decided I was hallucinating again when it told me to buy an axe.
After listening to his cover version of "Careful with that axe, Eugene", that would be the logical conclusion.
We will hopefully never know why he chose to yodel all the way through a version of that Pink Floyd instrumental.

Haha, yes...I heard it! It's at the 0:04 mark.
For some reason, I thought it was a Trombone player, playing when he shouldn't have been... :grin:

Verbally nudging someone is a legitimate (albeit not recommended) studio technique for aiding performers who keep tripping up in the same spot due to a brain block, but it's usually kept isolated in headphones. If that's what happened here, then I'm guessing Engelbert recorded live without headphones.

I don't hear it
It's very subtle, but once you finally do hear it, you can't un-hear it... kinda like seeing the 3D image in a stereogram. Engineers like me enjoy these little gems because they're like little secrets that nobody knows.

This one will be easier to hear because it's panned hard right. It's a tiny "eghh!" vocalization coming from the banjo player.
View attachment polka poppers.mp3

Here's another gem, but it was intentional.
View attachment pnp.mp3

isolating the voice makes this thing audible
It seems to be doing the opposite. Can you isolate and then remove the vocal track? I think that might make it easier to hear because it doesn't sound like it was picked up by the vocal mic, but by one of the instrument mics panned slightly to the right.

Most likely print-through of an analog tape that hasn't been stored properly (i.e. "tail-out"). This leads to pre-echoes.
It does sound reminiscent of print-through, but I don't think that's the case here because it's not echoing anything that exists earlier or later in the audio, and it's just in that one spot.

It's kind of a curse, sorry! :blush: I'm parsing the music because I need to hear what each instrument is doing, but now I'm going to be distracted listening for people talking in the background. LOL
I can hear it! Or maybe its the power of suggestion :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

sure, here is the remaining instruments, still can't hear it though... but with age I have lost very high frequencies so that might explain it
Unfortunately that didn't help. It's apparently too buried to enhance in any way. But even with high-frequency hearing loss you should still be able to hear it.

:) No problem. The weird thing is, it's not whispering but shoutin' ...
Exactly. To me it sounds like someone sitting near or among the woodwind players leaning toward Engelbert to discreetly shout "the shadow," and it got picked up by one of the section mics. No professional musician would sabotage a take by talking that loudly during recording, so my theory is that Engelbert maybe had a habit of singing "the sunshine of your smile" and someone helped save the take by cuing Engelbert to sing "shadow."

In my mind I can see someone in the mixing booth shouting and miming through the glass "the shadow!"
LOL! Been there, done that!!!

The most embarrassing case of coaching a musician happened about ten years ago. A band had hired a tuba player, who lives about two hours away, to come to my studio to lay down tracks on a few of their songs. He was unrehearsed and unfamiliar with the material. I had to feed him the chords through his headphones while he was playing. It made for an unnecessarily long session and some rather uninspiring tracks. From then on, the band just had me play tuba on their recordings.

I couldn't hear it in the full mix. I could hear it in the example given where it was just the voice isolated. But, I heard was "this..", in a low pitched garbled voice.

After listening again, I hear a "this.." but twice, the first time very faint, and the second time pretty loud immediately before when his vocal says "the shadow..."

So some kind of pre-echo, like someone mentioned, I got some Blue Note vinyl re-issues where that defect is really obvious.

Last edited:
Top Bottom